Options

When did Eastenders start to lose it for YOU?

13»

Comments

• Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    The Stacey/Archie reveal. The episode itself was very good, but Stacey being revealed as the killer and becoming even further the centre of everything when the quality of the character was in rapid decline...It was too much for me and I was really annoyed they'd chosen her instead of Peggy or Ronnie. I got more and more sick of the show for the rest of that year then gave up for a while. Tuned back in for Heather's death as I'd always liked her, and back out when I saw it was still crap. Barely watched at all in 2011/12/13, there was only really Michael I enjoyed in that time.
    I started watching again full time when I found out Michael was being killed off as I wanted to see as much of him as possible before he went. The show was starting to improve by then so I stuck with it, and it's got better and better. There was a big blip last summer when everything was boring and crappy but that aside the quality has solidly improved. Until last week. With the pathetic Bobby reveal and woefully plothole-ridden, shark jumping, loose end-leaving, sudden mass character personality transplant-causing conclusion to the Lucy storyline, the show's quality has rapidly plunged off a cliff.
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    2011 was pretty dire but I'm a loyal EE fan because I love it that much :D
  • Options
    pumpkinlattes33pumpkinlattes33 Posts: 8,326
    Forum Member
    2011 - 2013 was bad:

- Phil/Lola's trial
    - Baby swap
    - Derek Branning
    - Pat's illness and death
    - Lauren's alcoholic storyline
    - Lauren and Joey
    - Carl/Ronnie
    - Alfie/Kat/Roxy triangle
    - Dexter's kidney transplant/his Dad
    - Pointless introduction of Ava Hartman. Relationship with Cora never built up.
    - Who Sh*gged Kat?
    - Ben Mitchell killing Heather
    - Max's secret wife
    - Jack Branning's exit
    - Demise of Michael Moon
    - Anthony Moon
    - Ayesha, the girl that was infatuated with Masood.
    - Bad recasts...
    - Liam's gang storyline
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really loved the baby swap storyline. I don't understand the criticism. We ask for good storylines and then complain when they give them to us. It wasn't because Ronnie had suddenly turned evil. She was out of her mind with grief and wasn't thinking straight. That was definitely my favourite storyline of that year, but I know a few people turned off because of it because they found it offensive.

I didn't find it offensive in itself, but it was the writing that made me hate it. As some forum members said, Dot's account of it was how it should have happened back then. Ronnie had also had too much unhappiness, some of which was already at Kirkwood's hands with Jack having fathered Sam's baby. Ronnie is tragic character but DTC has executed it much better with the fact that she's missing out on the start of her son's life.

We also had Kat behaving very negatively towards Alfie. Ok, she was grieving, but there was no need to blow hot and cold as to whether she felt he understood. Even if he didn't, that would be her fault for cheating on him with his cousin. At one point, she also blamed him for the fact that she was left alone pregnant in a foreign country! WTF! It was a scam they were both in on, he had nothing to do with her getting pregnant and Zoe lives in Spain. She had no reason to be anywhere near Michael, it was sensationalised nonsense.

So yeah, on paper it was good but the execution terrible. The popularity of both characters has never fully recovered, and was made worse by some subsequent decisions (Ronnie killing Carl and Kat with Berkwood's other cheating plots.) Looking back, it was the start of what went wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    When they brought Den back from the dead....
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This basically. Eastenders to me is like a football team when your football team is not doing good you don't give up on them you support them no matter what happens.

That just depends on how much time you are willing to waste on something that is poor.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never gave up on it but anything between baby swap and Michaels exit was shit
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I gave up on EE many years ago because of its misery and shouting!
    I got back into it recently and have loved it (since Christmas) - and the 30th specials were terrific!!
    But it seems to be dwelling again on murder and misery....hope this will be short-lived!
    There are plenty of other stories that EE can do - happy, funny, sad whatever! PLEASE let's see another side to the East End!!
    I'm sure it's not ALL grim and miserable!;-)
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Enter Shane Richie, exit me.

Bye then!
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    The baby swap story line
    Kat cheating on Alfie with Derek
    Alfie burning the house down
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The who shagged Kat storyline was probably the worst storyline in living memory for me
  • Options
    andytaylor47andytaylor47 Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ugh. Kat really has been wasted since she came back, which is a shame as she used to be one of my favourites.

Her and Alfie get together and break up all the time. There was Kat interrupting Alfie and Roxy's (Roxy?!?) wedding, which was a repeat of Alfie interrupting Andy and Kat's. Derek Branning was detestable.

I can't remember when I stopped watching all the time - what year did Pauline die? I remember a lot of characters leaving before Pauline died, and then Martin, Sonia, Rebecca and Joe all went too?

I used to keep watching in the hope things would get better, and enjoyed some storylines. More often than not though I would lose interest. These past few months though have been different. I think the show finally has it's groove back.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,273
    Forum Member
    I have and will never give up on My EastEnders, but the Liam gang storyline (in fact all that year bar one or two episodes) was the worst year for EE, and so bad thanks to that woman who I won't mention. >:( :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    I have and will never give up on My EastEnders, but the Liam gang storyline (in fact all that year bar one or two episodes) was the worst year for EE, and so bad thanks to that woman who I won't mention. >:( :p

Kane's gang were hilarious. Like West Side story :D
  • Options
    rebecca87rebecca87 Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek Branning. It was like Jon Culshaw doing a badly written impersonation of an EastEnders character.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,273
    Forum Member
    Kane's gang were hilarious. Like West Side story :D

I know :o I don't even want to think about.
  • Options
    maggiekmaggiek Posts: 2,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost interest when Pat died. Turned a corner & stopped watching during the raunchy Kat shagging story line.

Saw the EE Graham Norton special which was enjoyable! Watched EE on Friday, thought it was good but the show itself still drains any spirit of joy. LOL!
  • Options
    FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    The moment Pat died, her departure left a massive void that's only just getting refilled with Kathy's return. Didn't resume watching until the Carters came into it, Kirsty and Carl didn't appeal to me.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    February 19th 1985

;)
  • Options
    FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    February 19th 1985

;)
    That's harsh :D
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    Babyswap plot, losing peggy, pat, Ronnie and Stacey at once hurt the show in my opinion. Plus, there's too much shouting in it compared to other shows
  • Options
    Teabag84Teabag84 Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stroudy wrote: »
    One word. KIRKWOOD

Exactly why I don't watch Hollyoaks anymore and did religiously for 10 years. And now I'm back to eastenders having only watched the exciting stunts that were publicised. I would much rather watch eastenders now! It has issues but its a soap - they all do!
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fashion wrote: »
    That's harsh :D

:D True though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Not too long after the 25th anniversary
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    February 19th 1985

;)
    Like Coronation Street lose it on December 9th 1960:).