Options

Laser Eye Treatment: Good idea or not?

PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
Forum Member
HI all Ive worn glasses all of my life and my best friend just got Laser Eye surgery with brilliant results and she has been coaxing me to follow suit. Ive been told it has pitfalls and not always suitable for all people. My friend has also said she had to sign "a hefty disclaimer document" which in my opinion she really signed away all her legal rights .

Im also unsure if getting rid of my glasses will change me!! as hardly anybody recognises me when I dont were them , in a stupid sort of way they are part of my personality and looks.

My family says No, my best friend says yes and most others just say fully investigate it first.

The company Im thinking of using is a well known high street name Opaliase , I would also be interested on what people think of them ( or anybody else)

Comments

• Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had mine done a few years back. Was a pretty simple procedure, no pain and in and out within the hour. Had to wear plastic eye shield and use drops for a couple of weeks afterwards and go for an aftercare appointment.

My eyesight wasn't terrible to begin with (-1.5 IIRC) and it cost me around £1800 with ultralase.

I would recommend having it done if you really dislike wearing glasses or contacts (as I did) - I know some people are nervous at the thought of having their eyeballs lasered, or don't mind glasses/lenses. It's worth booking a consultation to get a quote and go from there IMO.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had mine done about 12 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Would really recommend it if you dislike wearing glasses/contacts. Just make sure you're confident in your surgeon. Going on your friends recommendation is a good idea as she has first hand experience.
    My friend has also said she had to sign "a hefty disclaimer document" which in my opinion she really signed away all her legal rights .

Your friend signed a consent form, which would have outlined all potential complications. She was signing to say she understood it all and that she had been warned about them. This is standard with any surgical procedure. There are potential complications with everything surgical - it's just a fact of life. If you aren't willing or able to understand and accept that without thinking you would deserve legal recourse if you suffered one of them, then you shouldn't go ahead with it.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    HI all Ive worn glasses all of my life and my best friend just got Laser Eye surgery with brilliant results and she has been coaxing me to follow suit. Ive been told it has pitfalls and not always suitable for all people. My friend has also said she had to sign "a hefty disclaimer document" which in my opinion she really signed away all her legal rights .

Im also unsure if getting rid of my glasses will change me!! as hardly anybody recognises me when I dont were them , in a stupid sort of way they are part of my personality and looks.

My family says No, my best friend says yes and most others just say fully investigate it first.

The company Im thinking of using is a well known high street name Opaliase , I would also be interested on what people think of them ( or anybody else)

There are dangers of complications with any medical procedure, people have to sign agreement to having operations in hospitals as standard procedure. You would need to see exactly what you are agreeing to. If it says they bear no responsibility whatsoever if for example you're left with a badly damaged eye then it would be up to you to decide whether you would agree to that. Maybe you could ask your friend just what sort of things the disclaimer covered, if there was anything that she felt they should accept 'blame' (not the right word really) for but she decided to go ahead anyway.

If I had the money I'd get it done but it's not important enough for me to, say, get a loan to have it done. It won't change who you are, just what you look like.

BTW I've never heard of Opaliase so maybe only in certain areas of the country?
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only real reasons for doing it are either convenience (eg playing sports) or vanity.

It is not often understood that even if you get laser correction, you may still need glasses eg for reading (especially if you have bad astigmatism).

I have worn specs most of my life, and it is so second nature, I would not risk the surgery (but I am getting on a bit).

A good adage is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Its not like when I was young, and specs dominated your face (although that seems to be fashionable at the moment).
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had the money and the bravery I would go for it.

I have appalling eye sight with astigmatism. I wear toric contacts all the time and change into my glasses when I get home from work. Recently I had an eye infection so of course couldnt wear my lenses, wearing my glasses all the time made me bad tempered, they kept slipping down my face as I have quite a sweaty face a lot of the time, it makes me disoriented because you see the frame out the corner of your eye all the time. I hate the fact that I cant just fall asleep with my lenses in or that my eyes get a bit more tired in lesnes than my glasses

Even doing housework around the house, say if I m cleaning the toilet or under the sink or something where you need to bend down and put your head on the side, my glasses really get in the way and slip down or up (if your head is upside down) and no its not because they dont fit right, they do but thats the nature of glasses. Im also funny about my sunglasses on, off , on, off, so I cant wear sun glasses if I have my glasses on and neither can I have reflections or whatnot because Im so changeable as to when I want them on or not.

But, Im just not brave enough and knowing my luck would have to wear glasses after anyway due to my sight.
  • Options
    PattiPatti Posts: 3,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    If I had the money and the bravery I would go for it.

Snap!

I don't wear contacts as I hate the thought of sticking things in my eyes & I'm fed up wearing glasses. There's been a few people I've spoken to who've had it done & said it's one of the best things they've done but I'm still not brave enough. One of these days I'll get there!
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just thinking about laser eye treatment recently as my eyesight has deteriorated quite badly the last few years or so the point that I have to wear glasses now to watch tv and use the iPad. I find it hard to adjust to glasses and hate the way my eyes feel when I take them off (sort of glassy, glazed look.....like I've been after 20 pints:blush: )
    I'm a wuss when it comes to anything going near my eyes though so I don't think I'd have the courage to keep them wide open while a laser is burning through them:(
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    I was just thinking about laser eye treatment recently as my eyesight has deteriorated quite badly the last few years or so the point that I have to wear glasses now to watch tv and use the iPad. I find it hard to adjust to glasses and hate the way my eyes feel when I take them off (sort of glassy, glazed look.....like I've been after 20 pints:blush: )
    I'm a wuss when it comes to anything going near my eyes though so I don't think I'd have the courage to keep them wide open while a laser is burning through them:(

They use a little metal hingmy to keep your eye open. It's basically 2 pieces of thin wire on a sprung hinge - one end goes under your top eyelid and the other on your bottom and it stops you from blinking (a bit like in a clockwork orange!)

You are given anaesthetic drops in your eyes beforehand and the lasering takes no more than 30 seconds per eye. You really don't feel a thing.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know 3 people who have had it and they had no issues or problems. If I needed glasses I'd do it without a second thought, I can't even wear sunglasses, I hate having something stuck on my face, I find them fidgety and annoying, not to mention that I just don't think they suit many people or look particularly nice.

Do some research and have a consultation so you can make an informed decision. I remember my friend crying with joy after her procedure, she loved being able to wake up and see normally, not having to have achy eyes with contacts, or wear clumpy specs.

Do what's best for you imo.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My brother had that a few years ago (I think in 1999?) and no problem since.

However, an acquaintance experienced eye dryness for years after he had the treatment. He said it wasn't painful. Just inconvenient. I haven't seen him for a while, so I don't know if it was ever resolved.
  • Options
    MrstimmyMrstimmy Posts: 1,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The London vision clinic does a newer type called relex, or something like that. It's a lot more advanced and less invasive than the usual lasik or lasek. A tiny 2mm slit is made instead of creating a flap, so the risk of dry eye is significantly reduced. It is a lot lot more expensive, double places like optimax vision express etc. but 100% worth it.
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the money and chose to go ahead with it on the positive recommendations of FMs on another forum that I frequent.

Two years on from the procedure, and yes it was a comprehensive success, but I cannot help but wonder if I would have been better off keeping the 3 grand for something else, and just sticking with glasses/contact lenses. Dry eyes, especially at night, are a side effect I still suffer from, although to be fair the same applies if I wear a pair of lenses for 12 hours straight.

OP, go for a free consult, but do not feel forced or coerced into giving a deposit or signing for anything else until you have researched whether you think you would benefit yourself from LASIK.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    The only real reasons for doing it are either convenience (eg playing sports) or vanity.

It is not often understood that even if you get laser correction, you may still need glasses eg for reading (especially if you have bad astigmatism).

I have worn specs most of my life, and it is so second nature, I would not risk the surgery (but I am getting on a bit).

A good adage is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Its not like when I was young, and specs dominated your face (although that seems to be fashionable at the moment).

Your eyesight is broken though and laser surgery would fix it.
    I had it done a few years back and it's one of the best things I've ever done
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was tempted but never had it done. Now, as I approach retirement, my eyes are steadily improving to the point where I hardly need spectacles at all!

Anyway, see http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1334246/Tempted-laser-eye-surgery-Its-risks.html
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

The are a number of things going on. Firstly, there are risks to any surgery, so I'd suggest going for a consultation first with a properly qualified medical consultant and not a salesperson. There also might be consequences such as a middle aged person with myopia getting treated but finding out that, although they can see clearly in the distance, they find they now need reading glasses because of the onset of presbyopia. These things, along with complications and side effects, should all be discussed at a consultation.

My strong advice would be DO NOT go to any of the bargain basement chains offering cheaper treatment but to go to a clinic that's attached to an NHS hospital or that is a private clinic of good repute (Accuvision, Grange, etc.) although the costs will be greater. The bargain basement chains have ruined people's eyesight and they then try and worm their way out of helping their patients who then have to go to the NHS to get things sorted out.

Eyesight surgery can change someone's life for the better but it must be done with the highest level of professionalism and aftercare. You might find this site of interest: http://www.lasik-eyes.co.uk
  • Options
    bazzer00bazzer00 Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    as an eyecare professional, let me give you my opinion: laser treatment essentially corrects distance vision. It is not for people who cannot read close up without glasses (usually when you reach your 40s). I always advise patients that laser treatment is ok if you are young and do not need a seperate reading prescription of glasses. once you need two seperate prescriptions, for distance and near, then having laser treatment will generally get rid of your distance glasses but not your readers..so you will need to still rely on some glasses - any clinic that does not tell you thi are not being honest with you.
    Laser treatment is also not a permanent solution. Over the years, I have seen many patients that regress - they start to slowly become shortsighted again and require spectacles..not to the extent of their original precription but still just bear in mind it does not make you spectacle free forever.

As previous comments have suggested, any surgical procedure has an associated risk. You must be prepared to accept this if you go ahead with it.

If you hate wearing glasses and contact lenses, there is an alternative now known as eyedream lenses...these are revolutionary gas permeable lenses that you sleep in and take out in the morning and can see the whole day without lenses or glasses!!! you have none of the problems such as dry eye etc that can sometimes be associated with soft lens daily wear...worth looking into.
  • Options
    SuesSues Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Optimax in Manchester in 1997. I intended to have both eyes lasered but when I saw the Consultant and told him I spent 8 hrs a day on a computer, he advised that I only had one eye lasered. The result was that each eye compensated for the other and I could see both distance and close up very well. However, in the last few years my eyesight has been getting more and more short-sighted and I am now wearing varifocals all the time. I was very pleased with the result at the time and it was explained to me that my eyesight would continue to worsen, just as it would naturally but from a better start-point after lasering.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I couldn't accept the risk of going blind. I think more studies need to be done to see how lasering affects the eye over the years.

I'm very worried about any treatment I might need for my eyesight which is worsening I don't know how I will be able to consent to any risks.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an old git of 48 I have recently started to wear reading glasses occasionally. Well glasses are rubbish. Of course you look like right prat wearing them, that's a given, but the real problem is that they are a really poor solution to vision problems. They give you a very limited field of view and are uncomfortable.

My wife had laser surgery 9 years ago and it has been brilliant for her. I wish it would work for me as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »

I don't think it's vanity just to want to look like most other people. Vanity is perhaps botox or other cosmetic surgery, to attempt to artificially improve what nature gave you. Glassesare actually an artificial alteration of what nature gave you in terms of your face, and I don't think it's vain at all to want people to see you instead of a pair of plastic goggles. There are still some people who make ridiculous judgements on people based on their wearing of glasses, encouraged by sitcom and other writers who still use glasses as a short cut to 'geek', 'wallflower' or 'sexy secretary' amongst other stereotypes. I'd love to get away from all that :) Perhaps you're lucky and you suit glasses, I never felt I have. And people have told me that I turned out completely different to what they expected when they first met me because of how I look - which is governed by my glasses! (eg ',I thought you'd be one of the quiet ones' lol)

As for todays fashionable glasses, aren't they awful? It feels like we're going backwards!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sues wrote: »
    I went to Optimax in Manchester in 1997. I intended to have both eyes lasered but when I saw the Consultant and told him I spent 8 hrs a day on a computer, he advised that I only had one eye lasered. The result was that each eye compensated for the other and I could see both distance and close up very well..

That's really interesting, I wonder if the same applies to Clarivu? That's the lens replacement operation that is advertised by Ruth from This Morning, and seems similar to the treatment offered on the NHS for cataracts. If you have it done just for eyesight correction though, it's over £4000 an eye! :o It works out at £ 87 a month over four years on their credit terms and I did wonder if I could get away with just doing one eye! :D But maybe what you've said makes it an option?

My prescription is -8.75 & -8.50 and it does feel like my eyes have gone a lot worse recently for both distance and near sight. I haven't had a laser consultation yet but it has been suggested to me that laser treatment wouldn't be ideal - I'm 45 and age does seem to be a factor in this as well. This is part of the reason I've been looking at Clarivu also the idea that it will ensure that I don't have cataracts in the future. My nanna and great aunt both had cataracts and now I'm worried my mum has one as well, she struggles to cope with the change between indoor light and sunshine. If cataracts run in families, it might be an investment. My optician said it was just about age but it seems a strange coincidence my three closest older female relations on my mum's side have all had problems.

Clarivu is desperately expensive though, and I realise that I'd have to wear reading specs but I do sometimes get so desperate not to wear glasses all the time, I'd saddle myself with that debt for it.:blush:
  • Options
    Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    I have a friend who had laser surgery and she is delighted with the results. She never mentioned having any problems during the procedure.

My vision for close work, i.e. reading is perfect.

I can't see three feet ahead of where I'm standing, though. I wear very strong glasses to allow me to see distance.

Personally, I'm going to stick with me specs. I don't mind whipping them off and on when needed, and besides, I like some of the quirky frames that I've managed to find.

I have to admit that I'm a bit of a wuss, too, and I don't want someone mucking about with my eyes.
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Had mine done 7 years ago and never looked back (scuse the pun!).

I think it must be better for your eyes than constantly putting lenses in and out, and I hated being dependent on glasses. I was badly short sighted and broke them once, and lost them in the sea swimming on another occasion. The feeling of helplessness was awful. No problems with the laser treatment, and in the long run it will be a saving on prescription glasses.
  • Options
    JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've often thought about it and looked into it a few times but ultimately I don't think it would be right for me at the moment as I have extremely sensitive eyes and cannot even put in contact lenses so the thought of having someone poking around my eye would feel like some form of torture for me.

Plus there's the expense, if I had it done I'd want one of the top ones which I cannot afford right now. I might consider it in the future when the prices start to come down and technology gets more advanced.

I don't really mind wearing glasses though, I feel like they've become a part of me now. The only time I do is when I go swimming which isn't very often.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's something I've been interested in doing for many years but as yet not done it. My prescription changed (having stayed the same for a good 5+ years) so I will have to wait at least 3 years before I could consider it again. With my sight as it is I can see it being easily £2000+ so I will have to weigh the pros and cons of doing it.