Options

Airshows should be BANNED!!

Comments

• Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should just ban breathing and be done with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    The point made throughout these threads, is that is not spectators solely caught up in this tragedy.

I'm not too sure killing spectators is any less awful than just people around the site. In fact, if a pilot dies it's a pretty needless death.

It's clearly not safe enough and could be improved. So accuse me of me over reacting. Whatever.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    Surely not trying to pull a stunt over a major road would be the first step to minimising the dangers in this instance?
    I think you'll find that the Civil Aviation Authority already has some pretty strict rules about these kind of things. Of course though the situation changes somewhat when a pilot is wrestling control of a plane in an emergency situation. Anyway, you can have a look for yourself at what the CAA requirements are for Air Shows. Here's the link: http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=32
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But not one single one of those, even the football ones, were any part of a show or activity. When you look at the aerial shots, there were even built up areas nearer than where it came down.
    Are you really saying that football matches aren't some kind of leisure activity? Or that people don't go out to a city centre to shop as a leisure activity. Or people don't take pleasure cruises on boats, or travel to holiday destinations by plane, boat or car? Last time I checked an Air Show was a paid entry display activity that people go to watch. You're trying to tell me that a football match doesn't fit that exact same criteria?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Freak Accident did someone say ?

A freak accident is a plane hitting a flock of birds and crashing , an elderly jet plane doing a low altitude loop the loop has a large element of risk.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not have these shows at the coast and the stunts or loops over the water?
  • Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh for God's sake. Just stay in bed wrapped up in cotton wool all day and don't move a muscle.

Most of the Pilots at Air Shows defended you all during conflicts. You trusted them then?

How about going to bases and watching some really scary flying rather than going to Alton Towers?
    Some of the flying will make you feel you're losing your scalp. It really is an incredible experience, far better than a grotty ride.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »
    Oh for God's sake. Just stay in bed wrapped up in cotton wool all day and don't move a muscle.

Most of the Pilots at Air Shows defended you all during conflicts. You trusted them then?

How about going to bases and watching some really scary flying rather than going to Alton Towers?
    Some of the flying will make you feel you're losing your scalp. It really is an incredible experience, far better than a grotty ride.

I've always meant to go to a show as I've heard they're exhilarating, may be one day...
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    I've always meant to go to a show as I've heard they're exhilarating, may be one day...

We have them here every summer. They are superb but I do find myself constantly holding my breath!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Mutter wrote: »

Yes! these pilots are Heroes. Stop complaining when they crash into you while you are driving past. For Gods sake.
  • Options
    spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    Outraged person incandescent over accident that has nothing to do with themselves or anyone they know, tells everyone how they should be living their life lest hearing of their demise putting a downer on the day in their life of pseudo concern.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have them here every summer. They are superb but I do find myself constantly holding my breath!

Lucky you. I must make an effort and go and watch one.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »

They are, according to the one I went to (see above). When you've got a Tornado on afterburner flying over you at say 500ft, it's so loud you feel the need to duck, even though in reality it is perfectly safe. One of those life experiences I'll never forget, even though it was 25 years ago now.

But, like you, I wouldn't mind going to another air show in the future.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    A Freak Accident did someone say ?

A freak accident is a plane hitting a flock of birds and crashing , an elderly jet plane doing a low altitude loop the loop has a large element of risk.
    The nature of the accident is unfounded in the UK. Crashes happen, but only twice have such crashes involved civilians. And now only once have they involved civilians not at the show itself. These things just don't happen at UK airshows (or indeed notably often elsewhere).

Freak accident is defined as "an incident, especially one that is harmful, occurring under highly unusual and unlikely circumstances". I don't think you could find a more appropriate description.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Why not have these shows at the coast and the stunts or loops over the water?

Would scare the fish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    They are, according to the one I went to (see above). When you've got a Tornado on afterburner flying over you at say 500ft, it's so loud you feel the need to duck, even though in reality it is perfectly safe. One of those life experiences I'll never forget, even though it was 25 years ago now.

But, like you, I wouldn't mind going to another air show in the future.

I can imagine.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you really saying that football matches aren't some kind of leisure activity? Or that people don't go out to a city centre to shop as a leisure activity. Or people don't take pleasure cruises on boats, or travel to holiday destinations by plane, boat or car? Last time I checked an Air Show was a paid entry display activity that people go to watch. You're trying to tell me that a football match doesn't fit that exact same criteria?

I am as far from believing air shows should be banned, as you can get, but those comparisons are way apart.

There is no inherent risk at a football stadium from the activity going on. Even more so, I cannot imagine that there has ever been one instance of somebody not in the stadium and nothing to do with it, being caught up in it.

With those tragedies there were, it was not knee-jerk for others to rip up all wooden stands and fences the morning after and rendering either of those so much more unlikely. Air shows will need to do likewise.

I think there was one over Ascot race course last week, which seems a very small area.
  • Options
    Paul_PPaul_P Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    An air show has done a display over the roof of a previous property of mine. They were almost skimming the roof, it was absolutely terrifying.

I cannot understand how they are allowed to fly fast jets so low over built up areas.

I live beside an airport that was never expected to handle biggish passenger jets, watching an Airbus rocking about from side to side in a crosswind approach, and being so low you can read the ID code on it, that's terrifying, and also a pretty routine occurence from 6.45am.

I can't understand how they are allowed to fly 100 ton jets over built up areas.....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    Such comparisons are silly.

While I'm not on the 'ban airshows!!' ridiculousness, at the same time, these people that were killed today were just driving along a road. They weren't flying, watching, or a part of the air show or anything. They made no decision or choice in putting themselves at risk.

IMO they should be done over water like at Bournemouth or Eastbourne, that way only the pilots put themselves at risk.

They don't just fly over water though, I've seen spitfires at Eastbourne flying low overhead in a display and I sure wasn't in the sea, could even make out the pilot.
    Yes! these pilots are Heroes. Stop complaining when they crash into you while you are driving past. For Gods sake.

Indeed you should be grateful to die in such a way. Whats more important the lives of half a dozen motorists or a saturday afternoons entertainment? Get a grip there.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Banning them is a silly idea, stricter controls are all that's required.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am as far from believing air shows should be banned, as you can get, but those comparisons are way apart.

There is no inherent risk at a football stadium from the activity going on. Even more so, I cannot imagine that there has ever been one instance of somebody not in the stadium and nothing to do with it, being caught up in it.

With those tragedies there were, it was not knee-jerk for others to rip up all wooden stands and fences the morning after and rendering either of those so much more unlikely. Air shows will need to do likewise.

I think there was one over Ascot race course last week, which seems a very small area.
    Two words: Football hooligan.

LINK: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/football-hooligans-shocking-video-shows-5714904

LINK: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2412066/Bristol-Derby-football-violence-sees-12-fans-arrested-3-officers-injured.html

LINK: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3116710/Eleven-football-hooligans-sentenced-death-involvement-pitch-invasion-left-70-fans-dead-Egypt.html

LINK: http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/13616701.VIDEO__Football_hooligan_caught_after_Bolton_Wanderers_fan_filmed_Wolves_supporters_kicking_train_window_in/

No siree, no inherent risk there to anyone outside the football stadium at all. Nope. None at all. Not a jot.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the point of these except to show off?

Considering the tragedy of today and others in the past, there's absolutely no need to do these anymore. Too dangerous and idiotic.

What next?

Firing live tank fire in a field with a massive crowd watching?

Very few safety issues have occurred over the years, shall we ban everything else that carries risk with it ? and then we can see some of the villages and towns and traders that rely on such annual events for a boost in income suffer a bit more.

while we are at it ban Formula 1 there is no absolutely need for the risk or many other sports etc
  • Options
    Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't the only air show this weekend, or this month, or even this week.

However, there was an accident so it'll get the press. Put into perspective there is little chance of a repeat.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem a bit reckless performing these stunts when the risk of death is significantly greater than flying a plane normally.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the point of these except to show off?

Considering the tragedy of today and others in the past, there's absolutely no need to do these anymore. Too dangerous and idiotic.

What next?

Firing live tank fire in a field with a massive crowd watching?

What's not widely reported is that that is the 3rd crash at Shoreham in the last decade. There was a fatal crash in 2007 & a non fatal crash in2010. Don't tell me that event is safe. It's also a few hundred meters from dense housing & of course that major road.

I suspect that's the last Shoreham air show & good riddance I'm afraid!! >:(