Options

Staying in Rome

Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Before anyone starts...I have Googled and drawn a confused blank so -

I'm going to Rome in April and would like to stay fairly central (walking distance of all the major things) or very close to an easy shuttle bus to the centre.

Can anyone recommend anywhere? I've seen lots of places on the outskirts, but I am not going to be driving and am a total ignorant muppet at Italian so don't want to have to get train, change train, get bus, change bus etc...I'll end up in bloody Strasbourg knowing me.

I need a twin room as I am going with a friend and not the fella so that might limited my choice.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We stayed in the Hotel Diplomatic when we went a few years ago. We went Sat-Wed for a friends 30th.

It was reasonably priced for Rome, and close enough to everything. We managed to see everything we wanted ie. Colloseum (and the Villa Borghese), Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Vatican (and the musuem), Pantheon, and Piazza Navonna.
    We walked everywhere, you really don't need to bother with public transport, just take extra care when crossing the roads. The Italians are manic drivers, especially those on Vespas ;)

The staff were really friendly, always saying 'Buonjourno' to us every morning.

Getting into Rome itself from the airport, just get a taxi. They're quiet cheap and know the city very well. Transfer time is about 40 mins (depending on the crazy traffic ;))
    A tip for when you go to the Colloseum. Don't bother queuing up for admission tickets at the Colloseum itself. You'll be stood there ages. Instead, go to the Villa Borghese entrance (which is the big gardens area at the side of the Colloseum) and get a all attractions pass. It will get you into the Colloseum, queue jumping all the yanks that have been stood there for hours :D
    Plus the gardens on Palatine Hill are beautiful. Hoping the weather's decent, and the trees are in bloom (we went in May, so they should be) there's loads of orange trees and they smell really nice. And depending on your interest, you learn a lot more about the rise of the Roman civilisation as you wander through the many ruins. Good photo opportunities.

Wish I was going again now...

Ciao :cool:

http://www.hoteldiplomatic.it/eng/index_vhtml.html
    Have a look on Google Maps to see where all the touristy things are.
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! Thanks so much. I am really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    GracehaterGracehater Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know your budget but when I went I stayed in a hotel overlooking the Campo De Fiori. It's beautiful and very central.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campo_de'_Fiori

I believe the hotel was actually called the Hotel Campo De Fiori and it was fairly decent for a major world city. Not exactly flash, but clean, welcoming and a GREAT location.
    Have you checked out Trip Advisor? It's on there.