Options

Buying house opposite a pub

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would you do it? The house is great but the pub is quite a popular one so I'm not sure how noisy it will be.

I plan to go there on a Saturday night to see what chucking out time is like;)

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daisy70 wrote: »
    Would you do it? The house is great but the pub is quite a popular one so I'm not sure how noisy it will be.

I plan to go there on a Saturday night to see what chucking out time is like;)

the question i would be asking is why is the house up for sale?
    i suspect the answer to that question will provide you with the info you need.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a probate sale. There aren't that many houses on that street and the last house sold was in 1999.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I looked at a house near a pub when I was looking to buy. It was priced way below what similar sized house would go for and then after one visit in the evening I knew why. Its not just Saturday, with the indoor smoking ban there were people hanging around outside every evening.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the rate pubs are closing down in this country, even if it is a problem, it might not be one you would have to suffer long-term.
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many real ales does the pub sell? The more there are, the quieter it will be. Real ale works on chavs like garlic on vampires.
  • Options
    maxinerulesmaxinerules Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If its a chain like wetherspoons you should avoid it like the plague. Those places are more like psychiatric outpatients clinics than pubs.
  • Options
    technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a pub in Surrey situated along a river and surrounded by loads of houses.
    The staff told me the majority of the immediate residents complain all the time - cooking smells, noisey patrons,etc.

Honestly, I reckon if you buy a house next to a pub you need to fully understand the "risk".

Good luck OP :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

The house has just gone under offer:mad:

This house hunting is a nightmare, everywhere goes within 2 days:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many real ales does the pub sell? The more there are, the quieter it will be. Real ale works on chavs like garlic on vampires.

Quite a few. Good to know, I'll keep that in mind:)

They have morris dancing sometimes too, much to Mr D's disgust:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL.... excellent!

true though :D
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a pub in Surrey situated along a river and surrounded by loads of houses.
    The staff told me the majority of the immediate residents complain all the time - cooking smells, noisey patrons,etc.

Honestly, I reckon if you buy a house next to a pub you need to fully understand the "risk".

Back in the 80s I bought a flat next to a pub. The couple who ran the pub were lovely and brought us a tray with teas for the removal men. We went next door for a few drinks every so often and liked the community atmosphere, and never minded if they had a sing-song round the piano. But then the landlord and his wife moved out.

Yes, we should have understood the risk that it would be turned into an Irish pub with live music that was louder than our TV. But it honestly never occurred to us that a pub in a quiet, middle-class residential area would do that.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »

Yes, we should have understood the risk that it would be turned into an Irish pub with live music that was louder than our TV. But it honestly never occurred to us that a pub in a quiet, middle-class residential area would do that.

What a nightmare:eek: Did you manage to sell it?
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    What a nightmare:eek: Did you manage to sell it?

The pub's owners eventually sold out to a property developer who split it into several very expensive houses. Shame, really.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few. Good to know, I'll keep that in mind:)

They have morris dancing sometimes too, much to Mr D's disgust:D

I can't believe there is any correlation between real ale and noise issues.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This house hunting is a nightmare, everywhere goes within 2 days:(
    Register your interest in the "pub" house if you want it - many sales fall through. Bear in mind that it might be a real ale pub (or whatever now) but that isn't to say it will continue to be so a few months / years down the line.

Is it really a nightmare? I thought it was a buyers' market with tons of stuff for sale but not so many buyers?
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Also check out a Sunday night before a Bank Holiday Monday.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it may be worth looking the pub up on here
    http://www.beerintheevening.com/

If there are recent reviews you might get an idea of the atmosphere
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We live next door to a social club. When we bought the place 7yrs ago it was fine. The noise was minimal, the people walking past were respectful, and you really didn't know they were there unless they were holding a party of some sort. We did do a reccy and sat outside the place on various weekends to check out the noise. We had a happy 5yrs there and would pop in for a cheap beer occasionally.

But the last few years were a nightmare. Due to the smoking ban people were standing outside with their drinks - which mean't broken glass everywhere. The noise went up, and because the pub doors were continuously opened / closed if there was a party going on the music was really loud. More people were sat in the beer garden to smoke, so you could hear voices all the time.

Then, they were given notice that the place was due to close, and that was it then. They were open nightly until about 4am so people could drink the place dry. I would be woken up by noise and look out the window to see some scrote peeing up my car tyres or running around naked as he was so out of his face.

Luckily the place was shut down a year ago now, and its been bliss. I am praying that someone will turn it into houses.

I know this is extreme, and a normal pub would be governed by opening hours that are very strict for fear of loosing their license.
  • Options
    scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends of the reputation of the pub,a mate lived over the rd from a rough one and the rate it kept changing hands was quite shocking.
    Also my bloke lived in a rd with a pub and said random drunks would sometimes try to kick his door in!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    Register your interest in the "pub" house if you want it - many sales fall through. Bear in mind that it might be a real ale pub (or whatever now) but that isn't to say it will continue to be so a few months / years down the line.

Is it really a nightmare? I thought it was a buyers' market with tons of stuff for sale but not so many buyers?

Yes it is, places are going on the market and within 2 days, gone. If you look at houses just when they've been instructed and during the week, you stand a chance of getting them but they are usually gone by the weekend. There are very few properties out there and too many buyers, at least in the area I'm looking in!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    it may be worth looking the pub up on here
    http://www.beerintheevening.com/

If there are recent reviews you might get an idea of the atmosphere

Thank you, I've looked on here, the reviews are quite positive.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the rate pubs are closing down in this country, even if it is a problem, it might not be one you would have to suffer long-term.

This is sadly true. They seem to be disappearing at a rate of one a month around here and I can only think of four pubs still left open :(
  • Options
    ClunkClunk Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    I looked at a house near a pub when I was looking to buy. It was priced way below what similar sized house would go for and then after one visit in the evening I knew why. Its not just Saturday, with the indoor smoking ban there were people hanging around outside every evening.

Possibly academic for the OP now, but this is something that needs to be considered.

Saturday nights may be busier and louder, but may be less annoying than midweek 'events' - St Paddy's, Halloween, any summer's night. Add to that the comings and goings of delivery vehicles, skip lorries emptying bottle bins at 7am (that makes such a noise - and usually stinks) and potential parking issues.

Not saying don't move near a pub, but be prepared for what you may be letting yourself into.

That said of course, none of the above may be an issue or a problem, but it is certainly things I would consider having lived near (not right opposite) pubs and social clubs and now near a football stadium (which makes parking a nightmare sometimes, especially as I now work shifts !)
  • Options
    myviewmyview Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hell No!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My estate agent just sent me details of a house overlooking a prison. I think not:D