Three women, missing for a decade, escape from kidnapper

Comments

• clycly Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google Street View picture of the house (2207) to the left of the one with the top floor windows all boarded up If you zoom in you can see the house number.

Can you imagine as that picture was being taken what was going on inside.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45960087,d.d2k&biw=1440&bih=785&q=2207+seymour+avenue,+cleveland,+oh&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=XUKJUZOpAYTu0gWc6oDQCg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg
  • jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »
    Give the guy a break for crying out loud. He's in a tense situation with a woman in obvious potential danger and he's doing the best he can. I'm pretty sure there are many who wouldn't know exactly what service they needed in a scenario like that. And who cares about the swearing when he's trying to save someone's life?
    It's surreal but not tense. In the interview he said they went to his house to make the call to police. They weren't being pursued by anyone. He wasn't trying to save anyone's life as he made the call. He spotted her trying to escape and helped her break through the door.

Don't over-dramatize the situation. You make it sound like they were in the final 20 minutes of an adventure thriller movie. :rolleyes:
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cly wrote: »
    Google Street View picture of the house with the top floor windows all boarded up Just scroll one house to the right.

Several people pictured in the garden of the house next door, possible including Charles Ramsey?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45960087,d.d2k&biw=1440&bih=785&q=2207+seymour+avenue,+cleveland,+oh&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=XUKJUZOpAYTu0gWc6oDQCg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

UPDATE HANG ON THAT MIGHT NOT BE THE HOUSE AS THE NUMBER NEXT TO IT IS TOO HIGH.....I'LL SEE IF I CAN FIND IT BE RIGHT BACK

I looked at it on street view earlier - it's the one with the tree outside, isn't it? The image was taken in August 2009 so it's awful to think they were gonna be trapped in there for a few more years when that image was taken.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. At least he took notice of her, a lot of people would just walk on by something like that, not wanting to get involved.
    Bet he never dreamt when he woke up yesterday morning that by the end of the day he'd be a hero.
    This was his opposite neighbour's house - as far as he knows only inhabited by a bus driver in his 50s. He saw her trying to break out and she told him that she and her daughter had been kidnapped by the neighbour. How many neighbours are going to ignore that? None. I think the least anyone would have done would be to phone 911.

He's a colourful character but people are reacting as if he burst in, subdued the neighbour and freed them.
  • clycly Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google Street View picture of the house (2207) to the left of the one with the top floor windows all boarded up If you zoom in you can see the house number.

Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I looked at it on street view earlier - it's the one with the tree outside, isn't it? The image was taken in August 2009 so it's awful to think they were gonna be trapped in there for a few more years when that image was taken.

Yeah if you zoom in just slightly you can see the house number on the post. Charles Ramsey's house (2210) is opposite with the black lady sitting on the porch. Wow little did she know what was opposite her.
  • MiddleotroadMiddleotroad Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. I'd been wondering if Ashley Summers' disappearance may be connected to this. When they search that house, who knows what they may find...

Those two incidents can't be linked actually, since Michelle Knight went missing in 2002 and Ashley Summers went missing in 2007. However there's claims Ashley's grandmother said she went missing from a house less than a mile from where the other girls were held captive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jrio wrote: »
    This was his opposite neighbour's house - as far as he knows only inhabited by a bus driver in his 50s. He saw her trying to break out and she told him that she and her daughter had been kidnapped by the neighbour. How many neighbours are going to ignore that? None. I think the least anyone would have done would be to phone 911.

He's a colourful character but people are reacting as if he burst in, subdued the neighbour and freed them.

From what I heard on the news, from his very mouth, is that he saw her "freaking out" on the porch and he thought originally that it was a domestic violence dispute. A lot of neighbours would and have ignored these kind of disputes, it is very lucky he didn't and decided to help her. I hope this makes my original comment more clear to you :)
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome, he should have his own show.

That's some personality :D
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i saw a news story that the suspects own daughter is serving life in prison for trying to slash the throat of her baby daughter in about 2009

she looks very much like the pictures of michelle knight and gina dejesus
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I heard on the news, from his very mouth, is that he saw her "freaking out" on the porch and he thought originally that it was a domestic violence dispute. A lot of neighbours would and have ignored these kind of disputes, it is very lucky he didn't and decided to help her. I hope this makes my original comment more clear to you :)

Good for him, I wonder how many others would have simply ignored the woman?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These locked-room stories really get to me, because it's so frightening to think that there are other women locked up like that right now. There are probably some in London right at this moment, perhaps watching the Ohio story on the news. It's appalling.

When you look at the known cases and how long it took them to be discovered (Jaycee - 18 years, Elisabeth Fritzl - 24 years, Natascha Kampusch - eight years, these women - 10 years and so on) you see how rare it must be for them to be found at all.

It looks like they weren't completely confined though, unlike Elisabeth.

"Neighbors also said they would see Castro sometimes walking a little girl to a neighborhood playground. And Cintron said she once saw a little girl looking out of the attic window of the house."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It looks such a quiet area too - just shows that you really never know what goes on behind locked doors :eek:
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why is there not much mention of this one thats 32. There doesnt seem to be any pictures of her from when she went missing. Did it not make the news like the other two because she wasnt a teen?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    topcat3 wrote: »
    why is there not much mention of this one thats 32. There doesnt seem to be any pictures of her from when she went missing. Did it not make the news like the other two because she wasnt a teen?

The police decided she had run away, although apparently her mother never believed in and carried on searching after the police gave up. So her photo wasn't released as a 'missing person' unlike the other two, and it didn't get any media attention.

They can't even get her age right, apparently she was kidnapped at age 20 in 2002, meaning it would be impossible for her to be 32 now. Others are saying she was 18 or 19. Nobody seems to really know.
  • End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    topcat3 wrote: »

According to the Sky news presenter Ian Woods, her disappearance got next to zero publicity at the time she went missing.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This.

I think plenty of people would have indeed turned a blind eye. Give Mr. Ramsay the keys to the city, I say. Make an example of him.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The police decided she had run away, although apparently her mother never believed in and carried on searching after the police gave up. So her photo wasn't released as a 'missing person' unlike the other two, and it didn't get any media attention.

They can't even get her age right, apparently she was kidnapped at age 20 in 2002, meaning it would be impossible for her to be 32 now. Others are saying she was 18 or 19. Nobody seems to really know.

her family seem to be concerned that the police may not have actually found her, i suppose they're desparately trying not to get their hopes up

also, just to add, why is it impossible for her to be 32 now, if she was just about to turn 21 in 2002 which was 11 years ago, she would now be 32
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news. Here's hoping the girls can now lead a normal life.

I think that would be fairly unlikely, given what has happened to them. It's good to have hope, though.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeez, this thread is nothing to do with the existence of a God or otherwise. Why try to turn it into the usual DS anti-religion circle wank? There is always at least one thread (and usually more) on the front page of General Discussion at any given time for that sort of thing.

It's a way of avoiding the subject of the cruelty of a peculiar subset of men towards women.
  • katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    This.

I think plenty of people would have indeed turned a blind eye. Give Mr. Ramsay the keys to the city, I say. Make an example of him.

Or Big Macs for life.

I think it would have been easy to ignore what seems like a domestic. He's not a conventional hero, but I think he is one. As is Amanda Berry who didn't give up, even after all those years, and took the opportunity to scream and shout.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katkim wrote: »
    Or Big Macs for life.

He likes ribs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    This.

Watch Ramsey's interview of what he recalled - I think there is absolutely nobody who would not have at least called 911. Some of it doesn't tie in with what actually he said on the 911 call.

Bear in mind he's been to at least one barbecue at the house, said he has seen the neighbour nearly every day for the past year, and didn't think anyone else lived with him.

Who is going to ignore a young woman trying to break out of the house of the neighbour opposite, when they thought only the neighbour, a bus driver in his 50s, lived there?
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These locked-room stories really get to me, because it's so frightening to think that there are other women locked up like that right now. There are probably some in London right at this moment, perhaps watching the Ohio story on the news. It's appalling.

When you look at the known cases and how long it took them to be discovered (Jaycee - 18 years, Elisabeth Fritzl - 24 years, Natascha Kampusch - eight years, these women - 10 years and so on) you see how rare it must be for them to be found at all.

It looks like they weren't completely confined though, unlike Elisabeth.

"Neighbors also said they would see Castro sometimes walking a little girl to a neighborhood playground. And Cintron said she once saw a little girl looking out of the attic window of the house."

I saw one of the neighbours on the news earlier and she said the women had been seen naked in the back garden at some point. I was on the phone at the time though and I missed whatever else was said about that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    her family seem to be concerned that the police may not have actually found her, i suppose they're desparately trying not to get their hopes up

also, just to add, why is it impossible for her to be 32 now, if she was just about to turn 21 in 2002 which was 11 years ago, she would now be 32

They have found her, she was in the hospital with the other two. She has suffered some hearing loss due to being beaten around the head.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I saw one of the neighbours on the news earlier and she said the women had been seen naked in the back garden at some point. I was on the phone at the time though and I missed whatever else was said about that.
    "Elsie Cintron, 55, who lives three doors away from the Castro home, told the Guardian that about a year ago, her granddaughter reported seeing a naked woman crawling on her hands and knees out of the house. The woman returned to the house, but the granddaughter called the police. Cintron said she believed they failed to act upon the information."