Should the police be informed? Council and neighbour question

Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello all

I don’t usually start threads but would like to know what folk think. Hopefully I won’t ramble too much.

Wondering if anyone has experience of this, or similar. My back garden actually faces onto a main road. My garden is fenced off from the road because of traffic noise but there is a low garden wall on the other side of the fence.

I don’t live in a particularly nice area and a few of the lovely local scrotes decided to start climbing over my fence to cut through into the estate on the other side. They have damaged the fence and it has started to knock the wall down on to the pavement. I got a builder up who repaired and strengthened my face and put the collapsed wall back but he said the wall is completely un-repairable and said I should just remove the loose stones, which I did (I didn’t personally, as I can’t even lift one, let alone several).

Anyway. Thought everything was fine when I get a letter from the council yesterday basically telling me I am causing danger to pedestrians and if I don’t make the wall secure the council will and charge me for it.

What I want to know is this: should I report the original vandalism to the police so that I have something on record that proves I am not causing this damage, but that scumbags in the area are damaging my property and the council are charging me to put it right. If I have a crime number will it help if I have to claim on my insurance?

Also, I suspect my neighbour reported me to the council. She constantly reports me to environmental health, RSPCA, local MP etc (no case has ever been found). She’s mental and she gets a kick out of reporting me. Should I inform the police about her now as this is bordering on harassment? :( The council refuse to tell me if she was the one that reported me but since there is actually no obstruction on the pavement, I can only assume it was reported by her and not just randomly spotted by the local council engineer wandering past.

What do you reckon? :(

Comments

• scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do all of them.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    regardless of who caused the damage and why, it is still your responsibility to rectify it.
    you can report the damage to the police by all means, but that doesn't remove your responsibility to fix it.
  • Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not disputing that I have to rectify it, although I do dispute it is causing an obstruction as I have photographs of it this morning where it is clearly still right up against my fence. But I was more concerned that I get the police involved as the potential insurance pay out will have to repair the wall and a crime number may help with the claim.

And the neighbour harassment is probably seperate but think I need to report her now as it's every week someone else is on my back due to her craziness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not disputing that I have to rectify it, although I do dispute it is causing an obstruction as I have photographs of it this morning where it is clearly still right up against my fence. But I was more concerned that I get the police involved as the potential insurance pay out will have to repair the wall and a crime number may help with the claim.

it doesn't need to be causing an obstruction for a repair notice to be issued.
    if it is at risk of causing injury by falling down, for example, then that is enough for a repair notice to be issued.

of course you'd need to be able to prove that a crime took place.
    i'm not sure the insurers would bother either way to be honest.
    either they cover the repair or they don't.
    And the neighbour harassment is probably seperate but think I need to report her now as it's every week someone else is on my back due to her craziness.

you'd need to be able to prove it.
    reporting a damaged wall isn't harassment.
    you've admitted in this thread that the wall is damaged.

my thoughts... stop looking to pass the blame on to someone else and get the wall fixed. this gives any possible harasser one thing less to possibly find fault in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm slightly confused....are they climbing over your fence into your garden?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    it doesn't need to be causing an obstruction for a repair notice to be issued.
    if it is at risk of causing injury by falling down, for example, then that is enough for a repair notice to be issued.

of course you'd need to be able to prove that a crime took place.
    i'm not sure the insurers would bother either way to be honest.
    either they cover the repair or they don't.

you'd need to be able to prove it.
    reporting a damaged wall isn't harassment.
    you've admitted in this thread that the wall is damaged.

my thoughts... stop looking to pass the blame on to someone else and get the wall fixed. this gives any possible harasser one thing less to possibly find fault in.
    I'm afraid it looks like you didn't read some parts of the OP's first post properly. She said that people climb over her fence to get round to the estate on the other side andd its ruining her fence. She also said she has fixed the fence before.

She didn't say the damaged wall was harassment either, it was that her neighabour always reports her to the authorities which she sees as harassment.
    Forum Member
    jude1979 wrote: »
    I'm slightly confused....are they climbing over your fence into your garden?

I believe so as the OP has said that her backgarden faces the main road and people are climbing over the fence of the garden to cut through to the estate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, because my garden has a passage way some lazy sods climb over my fence to cut through rather than walk around.

And yes, the neighbour reporting the damaged wall is factual for once but it's about the 15th time she's reported me ... 14 times for nothing. She once reported me to the RSPCA for being cruel to my cats. I don't even own a single cat :(

Anyhow, meeting the council dude tomorrow.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suggest you pay someone to erect an extremely high fence that nobody could possibly climb over again. Then add a sign about trespassers beware of dangerous dog - that should keep them out.

Hopefully this will also block your neighbours view so they can't spy on you anymore.
  • DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The harassment from your neighbour sounds awful, you shouldn't have to live like that. Please get some proper advice on what you can do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    I'm afraid it looks like you didn't read some parts of the OP's first post properly. She said that people climb over her fence to get round to the estate on the other side andd its ruining her fence. She also said she has fixed the fence before.

the original post said the wall was starting to fall on to the pavement - that is the only relevant part that requires attention
    She didn't say the damaged wall was harassment either, it was that her neighabour always reports her to the authorities which she sees as harassment.

i also didn't suggest the damaged wall was harassment - maybe you should take your own advise and read properly.
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    the original post said the wall was starting to fall on to the pavement - that is the only relevant part that requires attention

i also didn't suggest the damaged wall was harassment - maybe you should take your own advise and read properly.

I suggest you go and re-read that post again.

The OP was talking about her neighabour reporting her as harassment, you randomly said that "reporting a damaged wall isn't harassment" when she never said it was. :confused:
  • floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Repair the wall and then get it electrified.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suggest you go and re-read that post again.

The OP was talking about her neighabour reporting her as harassment, you randomly said that "reporting a damaged wall isn't harassment" when she never said it was. :confused:

no, i think you should re-read it.

the main point of the post was about a wall that needed repaired.
    the "harassment" was an also add-on at the end (only mentioned in the last paragraph after the wall issue was documented).

the first line of that harassment paragraph suggested that it was the neighbour that reported it to the council - so in fact the OP did suggest that damaged wall report was part of the harassment. so the OP suggested it was part of the harassment and i stated that it wasn't harassment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floog wrote: »
    Repair the wall and then get it electrified.

God, I'd love to! :D

I'm thinking of stocking up on spiky plants for definite. :)