RT reports 3 day Convention to celebrate 50th

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I presume they will be screening the anniversary special...?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    I presume they will be screening the anniversary special...?

A bit more detail here....
    http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/doctor-who-50th-celebration-weekend-announced-for-november

15,000 rioters if they don't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds fun, might attend it depending on what's going on/who's there :)
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correction to the thread title: "3 day convention to cash in on the 50th anniversary".

Really great money making venture from the BBC. It's a shame they don't invest the large profits they make from Doctor Who into actually making episodes of the show but why bother I guess when the fans can be relied upon to give them money for old rope so consistently. I wonder if the crafty scamps can get away with an even more extortionate entry fee this time?

Have they announced the stamps and the plates yet? Anything but actual content I'm sure. Well, not true: there is that one programme they're making about how great the BBC is; what was it called? 'An Adventure in something or other'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, let's kickstart a little ray of sunshine here. Other than a bouncy Tardis, what do people want from a convention ?

What would you like to see and experience in this Olympic sized Convention Centre ??
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HandsomeBB wrote: »
    Ok, let's kickstart a little ray of sunshine here. Other than a bouncy Tardis, what do people want from a convention ?

What would you like to see and experience in this Olympic sized Convention Centre ??

hopefully one that doesn't cost as much as a family holiday would be a great start
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member

Large venue, is it? Full sized animatronic Kroll would be nice.
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Anything but actual content I'm sure. Well, not true: there is that one programme they're making about how great the BBC is; what was it called? 'An Adventure in something or other'?

I thought your view of the history drama had been comprehensively demolished on that other thread, hadn't it? But don't let that stop you.

Noone needs to buy stuff if they don't want. The BBC have been selling Doctor Who merchandise since 1964. It is something fans have had 49 years to get used to.

And the BBC invented the show. So, yes, they are great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Large venue, is it? Full sized animatronic Kroll would be nice.

There's rumours of a couple of Bulgarian weight-lifters still hiding out in there. :)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nothing. It would be too crowded for me. And too far to travel to London. And too expensive to travel and to get in. And I'd rather watch the Anniversary Special in comfort at home.

Sorry to be a damp squib, but it has minority appeal. Perhaps they are going to televise it in order to fill up the BBC with Doctor Who?
    Forum Member
    Nothing. It would be too crowded for me. And too far to travel to London. And too expensive to travel and to get in. And I'd rather watch the Anniversary Special in comfort at home.

Sorry to be a damp squib, but it has minority appeal. Perhaps they are going to televise it in order to fill up the BBC with Doctor Who?

Very much a "nice to have", but the telly shows should be the main thing. Having said that I enjoyed going to the Experience exhibition. But that was about twenty quid. I expect this sort of thing to be much more pricey. And travel to London isn't too pricey from the Nebosphere as opposed to 'Ecky Thump Land.

I bet you're right - Red button saturation to make good the "taking over tv" thing.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Correction to the thread title: "3 day convention to cash in on the 50th anniversary".

Really great money making venture from the BBC. It's a shame they don't invest the large profits they make from Doctor Who into actually making episodes of the show but why bother I guess when the fans can be relied upon to give them money for old rope so consistently. I wonder if the crafty scamps can get away with an even more extortionate entry fee this time?

Have they announced the stamps and the plates yet? Anything but actual content I'm sure. Well, not true: there is that one programme they're making about how great the BBC is; what was it called? 'An Adventure in something or other'?

That's because the BBC are a PSB and as such aren't allowed to invest money that way, you dolt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very much a "nice to have", but the telly shows should be the main thing. Having said that I enjoyed going to the Experience exhibition. But that was about twenty quid. I expect this sort of thing to be much more pricey. And travel to London isn't too pricey from the Nebosphere as opposed to 'Ecky Thump Land.

I bet you're right - Red button saturation to make good the "taking over tv" thing.

that price point would be perfect and they would still make a killing(via add ons such as photos etc),but its unlikely that it would be this price
    Forum Member
    that price point would be perfect and they would still make a killing(via add ons such as photos etc),but its unlikely that it would be this price

It's going to be much more than twenty quid. The Experience thing didn't have to employ Who actors live and could recoup costs over many many months. This November thing is going to be for more than usually dedicated fans with either deep pockets or a willingness to forego spending on food, rent, mortgage payments etc. Or vaguely dedicated fans from the Home Counties with rich parents.

The Hoi Polloi (Granny) will get Freeview 301 highlights for free.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's going to be much more than twenty quid. The Experience thing didn't have to employ Who actors live and could recoup costs over many many months. This November thing is going to be for more than usually dedicated fans with either deep pockets or a willingness to forego spending on food, rent, mortgage payments etc. Or vaguely dedicated fans from the Home Counties with rich parents.

ill take the freeview highlights
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Anyone know if this is for the full three days or is it 3 individual days? Im hoping there is an option for day tickets as we are very busy at work around this time and theres no way id get Friday off.
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The BBC DW convention last year in Cardiff was 104 quid for 1 day (including a 5 quid booking fee) :eek:
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    rionia wrote: »
    The BBC DW convention last year in Cardiff was 104 quid for 1 day (including a 5 quid booking fee) :eek:

Good grief are the BBC going to use the convention to fund series 8? :)