Who was Alan Partridge based on?

2»

Comments

• dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard Tony Wilson was an inspiration, not sure how true that is though. I don't think he's based on Richard Madeley, as I seem to remember Coogan saying the things Madeley says are TOO ridiculous for Partridge!

In the mid 2000s I used to listen regularly to (the excellent) radio shows that Tony Wilson did and in between then watched him occasionally on Granada Reports and he did remind me sometimes of Partridge, especially on the TV. Although I thought that might be because I saw Steve Coogan play Tony before I ever properly heard Tony himself and it's all fused in my mind.

Although there was the time I saw Tony come out of a news report, reference it, give a fact and say "of course that's a debate for another time" which I thought was very Partridge-esque although was very funny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    In the mid 2000s I used to listen regularly to (the excellent) radio shows that Tony Wilson did and in between then watched him occasionally on Granada Reports and he did remind me sometimes of Partridge, especially on the TV. Although I thought that might be because I saw Steve Coogan play Tony before I ever properly heard Tony himself and it's all fused in my mind.

Although there was the time I saw Tony come out of a news report, reference it, give a fact and say "of course that's a debate for another time" which I thought was very Partridge-esque although was very funny.

His introduction of Joy Division on Granada Reports sounds pretty Partridgey too. "They're a Manchester band, with the exception of the guitarist who comes from Salford- very important difference.." Unfortunately I've never seen the original only the reenactment in Closer but it cracked me up and was pure Wilson/Partridge. :)
    I had no idea he had a radio show, I would have loved to have heard it. He was a great character and gave us some cracking music!
  • KB1984KB1984 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    I think the character of Alan certainly evolved. He started off as a parody of sports commentators/presenters (first on radio show 'On The Hour' and then it's TV version 'The Day Today') who felt the need to talk for talkings sake/ hadn't a clue what was going on i.e. Peter Alliss, Jim Rosenthal, David Coleman etc

His personality evolved and grew as time went on and when the character became a chatshow host and DJ, elements from people like Tony Wilson, Fred Dineage, Richard Madeley and Jeremy Clarkson came into play.

So he still has the sports commentators voice :D but as his personality expanded so did the range of people he was spoofing (including Coogan himself :D)
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »
    Alan Partridge is based on a Radio Norfolk DJ called Wally Webb

If you Google both their names an article with them both photographed is there, sorry but cant do the link at the moment.

Here's the BBC link with a video.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23442234
    Forum Member
    Richard Madeley IS Alan :D

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=415609 some of these gems really are Alan.

As for how he views himself, he is just as delusional he describes himself as a "...ruthless investigative journalist - like Paxman" :D
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    OOooo, that's harsh! Whatever the age difference and no matter how much of a turnip-head Madeley might be, he clearly loves Judy.

its eight years and nowhere near old enough to be his grandmother .
    ridiculous comment from op
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lynn: "Alan, can I just say, you've popped out".

Alan "oh sorry Lynn" (adjusting his shorts) "that wasn't deliberate".

:D
    Forum Member
    Alan's voice actually changes quite a bit from 'On The Hour' to it's TV version 'The Day Today'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-6FKK0Pw6g cockney, working class Alan :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYdbanbEAYk the more familiar Alan voice :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    One of Smashy and Nicey was definitely based on Freeman IIRC.

and Tony Blackburn
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    I can't be the only person who thinks Alan Partridge is actually based on Steve Coogan?
  • fozzie74fozzie74 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    edited 06/03/17 - 17:12 #39
    i know this is an old thread, but came across this you tube video of presenter Alan Biggs from 1987. And bearing in mind this was the northwest of England at the same time Steve was still up there, i reckon this bloke is a shoe in for who he was took from.

Just skip to 1 min 10 whe he starts... the speech, the leaning back whilst putting both arms out on a word, the stupid cheesy questions... i've only done the first 10 min so far but it's classic!!!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/RD_7w0LWCEk
    Forum Member
    in fact go to 8 min 50 for the most bizarre alan-esque question to a football physico you'd ever hear ;)
  • Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, that's brilliant. The voice and mannerisms are bang on! How did you find that?
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fozzie74 wrote: »
    in fact go to 8 min 50 for the most bizarre alan-esque question to a football physico you'd ever hear ;)

The physio resembles Alan's superfan. :D
    Forum Member
    Haha, that's brilliant. The voice and mannerisms are bang on! How did you find that?

I'm a Manchester City supporter and someone posted it on a city forum this week :) I know Coogan is a united fan, and did Paul Calf as a city fan to show us as morons... but it may have been he saw this video through a friend maybe! Apparantly it was available to buy through the club in the late 80s.

• annielouannielou Posts: 10,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 07/03/17 - 13:28 #44
    I thought I'd read he was based on some sports commentators, as the character started out as a sports reporter on The Day Today.

However, these days it's probably fair to say that a lot of tv presenters and Djs sound a lot like Partridge, unintentionally in their case I'm sure.

There was a good Partridge-esque moment on an old TOTP edition (think it was story of 1983) a few months ago which made me giggle:

Simon Bates talking to John Deakin (I am paraphrasing a bit): So , only one number with Bowie, Under Pressure, John?

John Deakin: Well, we did have Bohemian Rhapsoday as well.

Simon: Either way, it's still the 1000th edition of Top of the Pops. On with the show.