CLiNT - anyone getting it?

Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone got the first couple of issues of this?

http://clintmag.com/

Is it worth subscribing to?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Bought the first two issues, it's not bad. Second issue was an improvement over the first, especially the text articles. It does need to get over itself and not be ashamed to be a comic (ie the front cover).

I wouldn't subscribe to it as you don't know just what is going to be in the future issues as they will be catching up with their original american editions. It does need more original UK sourced comic material (although saying that Rex Royd is for me the low point of the issue) to become more than a larger format reprint ala Panini MWoM etc.

Still, as a UK comic it is to be encouraged. But don't buy it ahead of 2000AD, Megazine or even Commando. It does fill a gap that may be better filled by Strip Magazine that comes out next year.
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought for it's first issue it should have had a reduced price to tempt readers.
    Forum Member
    Nailz wrote: »
    I thought for it's first issue it should have had a reduced price to tempt readers.

As far as I am aware I don't think that has ever happened with a UK comic. US ones yes and UK magazines but not a comic.
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    The first issue has lots of the f word but bizarrely enoigh the final strip had the f word covered up!

I'll stick with 2000AD. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rex Royd is awful, the rest is alright though.

Quite enjoying Nemesis actually.
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I am aware I don't think that has ever happened with a UK comic. US ones yes and UK magazines but not a comic.

A pity as I would have grabbed it for about a quid.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    am I the only one to see a rude word when I see the title in the shops (i'm thinking this was on purpose)
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been subscribing since it came out and getting a bit cheesed of with it constantly being late. Still waiting on the last issue which was supposed to come out on Dec 19th, they're saying it should be out for Feb14th! I'm paying for so many issues a year and am starting to feel a bit conned by them.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    am I the only one to see a rude word when I see the title in the shops (i'm thinking this was on purpose)

It's intentional. It's how they used to get swear words into comics back in the old day... CLINT and FLICK... classic...
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    It's intentional. It's how they used to get swear words into comics back in the old day... CLINT and FLICK... classic...

No, it's just lame.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    No, it's just lame.

Yeah, in my head I said "classic" with a sarcastic tone...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, here we are. 14th of Feb and still no mag. Going to have to go to their FB page and see what the latest excuse is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arrived today. MM blamed the delay on Huricane Sandy....Stay classy Mark.
    Forum Member
    Seems after issue 2.8 no-one will be getting it http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/news/a506836/mark-millars-clint-magazine-discontinued.html

Bit of a shame but when the magazine is largely made up from reprints of already existing material and you still can't maintain a steady release schedule then its going to effect your performance on the High Street. Guess that bit of double sided non branded sticky tape couldn't hold the self appointed Rosette of Sirius to Mr Millars forehead.

Still at least there is Strip Magazine (as long as they sort out distribution gremlins).
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Print is dead, except for collectibles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    i got the final issue today ; its lousy
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't comment on the content as the juvenile title always put me off this magazine. It reminds me of sugaRAPE from Charlie Brooker's Nathan Barley.
    Forum Member
    Print is dead, except for collectibles.

That maybe the case but is the answer Digital?

Nope. It may be the talk of the Digital Zealot or the spurious editorial of an incompetent Journalist who sees a high percentage rise in uptake as the be-all and end-all of the story and yet fails to notice that the figures relate to a rise from the amount of diddly-squat to that of barely diddly.

For a truer picture of physical to digital sales (at least for magazines) : http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/aug/19/digital-magazines-popular-circulation-figures?CMP=ema_546.

For the Digital Zealot who does believe the hype : 0101001000100000010101000110000101110000011001010010000001101100011011110110000101100100011010010110111001100111001000000110010101110010011100100110111101110010

:)
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just found out this has closed down. It joins other unsuccessful British comic titles like

Crisis
    Revolver
    Toxic! (not the kids comic, the 1990s version)
    Warrior
    Deadline
    There was short lived Cool Beans Digital World web based comic too. Pat Mills and Simon Bisley contributed to it.

I used to be a regular reader of Comics International - sort of the trade paper for comics. It was sad to see that go.

When 2000AD is at or near its best it's exceptional quality (if you're into sci-fi and fantasy). It's hard to recreate the 2000AD 'magic' in other UK comics. Many have tried, all seem to have failed. Small press publication seems the only route to go with new comics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Just found out this has closed down. It joins other unsuccessful British comic titles like...

I don't think it should necessarily go in that list of anthology comics, which are in a different, and better, league from Clint, as far as I'm concerned.

From the issues I have, Clint wasn't an anthology comic. It was a magazine about comics that also just so happened to serialise comic stories and I've seen a fair few of those come and go with varying degrees of success over the years.

Also, new comics? Small press is ok if the marketing is spot on but digital would be the way to go. There are a few Brit produced digital anthology comics that are doing alright at the moment, apparently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    anyone thinking of buying the final issue should know that it contains one comic book instead of the usual four (and a lot of upcoming comics filler)
    while this is understandable being the final issue, they are still charging full price for it