Options

Good MP3 Players?

Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,146
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looking for a good 4gb mp3 player to play in car. My stereo has usb connection. Don't want one that needs batteries though.

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't go too far wrong with a Sansa Clip
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't go too far wrong with a Sansa Clip

Seen this.http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Sansa-Player-Expandable-MicroSD/dp/B002NX0ME6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395775602&sr=8-1&keywords=sansa+clip
    Don't know if it can be plugged into car stereo though.
  • Options
    iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best MP3 player is likely to be your android phone . Keep all your music in one place !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My previous phone- nokia n900 did it all. Even had an fm transmitter so you could beam it to the radio.

Alternatively there are some nice things you can get quite cheaply these days. A quick look on amazon and I've come across this very nice looking gadget:

JSG Accessories® Car MP3 Player FM Transmitter with USB/SD card reader and remote control, Audio Input Supports Ipod IPhone and all mobile phones, able to charge your mobile phone On offer at the moment at £10.95 + free delivery.

Slightly cheaper option, but then you'd need to top up in order to get free delivery:
    August CR100 FM Transmitter with 3.5mm In / USB Port / Card Reader - In Car MP3 Player for Smartphones and Tablets - Apple / Android / Blackberry Compatible
    £5.25

And a 3rd alternative:
    SODIAL(TM) Car Kit Mp3 Player Wireless Fm Transmitter Modulator USB Sd MMC Slot with Remote £7.01 (same delivery quandary as with the middle option)
    I might actually go for something like this myself you know. I miss just being able to do it all with my phone. All I'd need to do is store the music on my phones SD Card and job done:)

EDIT: Kensington Liquid FM Plus - MP3 Transmitter £4.99 with free delivery from a seller. You just plug your phone usb into the socket to charge it, while plugging the earphone jack into the socket on the phone and hey presto, your phone can now beam to the car and charge at the same time. I'm going for this one -lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly my phone isn't great on the music side which is why looking at mp3 players.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Sadly my phone isn't great on the music side which is why looking at mp3 players.
    What about the option of just taking our the card from your phone and plugging it in? That way you don't have to carry around anything extra, can leave the transmitter plugged in, and just pop the card in and out. Or alternatively - SD cards are really cheap these days, just keep one permanently plugged in, if it's for the car and only there. If it's for all-over use out of the car, it might get a bit more expensive,

Cheapest one I can see is this:
    Energy Sistem® MP4 Player EnergyTM 3204 DUO FM-T 4 GB Orange (2 x earph, FM-Transmitter, speaker) at £21.27 + £4.59 delivery. Not too sure about the quality of this though, there are no reviews. Next cheapest thing that will do that is about £40 on there.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    My previous phone- nokia n900 did it all. Even had an fm transmitter so you could beam it to the radio.

Alternatively there are some nice things you can get quite cheaply these days. A quick look on amazon and I've come across this very nice looking gadget
    I would avoid like the plague any gadget like that which use a captive audio lead as they tend to break a wire and make the whole thing useless. I currently use a Satechi which uses a plug in lead. If a wire breaks in that then it is a cheap replacement to get another lead.

If the OP's car radio also has Bluetooth then that is another option for streaming music from a Bluetooth capable phone or player
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you have an Aux port? You can get a lead that goes from that to the headphone jack of the MP3 player.

If not, you can get a 12v connecter that goes from the cigarette lighter to the headphone jack. All you need is a free channel on the radio to programme it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have an Aux port? You can get a lead that goes from that to the headphone jack of the MP3 player.

If not, you can get a 12v connecter that goes from the cigarette lighter to the headphone jack. All you need is a free channel on the radio to programme it.

No just usb port. Used to have mp3 that I plugged into it but it stopped working. I did get a usb stick and put my music on it but I couldn't create separate folders so takes ages to find albums I want.
  • Options
    ShallShall Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Sansa Clip or Clip Zip could be the option set up to work as MSC. Alternatively a USB drive with your Music on it plugged in would be even cheaper!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shall wrote: »
    Sansa Clip or Clip Zip could be the option set up to work as MSC. Alternatively a USB drive with your Music on it plugged in would be even cheaper!

I am using a usb stick but there is no way creating folders. Its just everything together so it takes a while to find an album that I want. If the sansa clip has a cable that can be plugged into the usb port on my stereo then that would be ideal.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am using a usb stick but there is no way creating folders. Its just everything together so it takes a while to find an album that I want. If the sansa clip has a cable that can be plugged into the usb port on my stereo then that would be ideal.

How come there is no way to create folders on a USB stick?

How are your files organised?
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your car stereo plays music from a USB memory stick, you don't need an mp3 player. If you want to control music playback via your car stereo than an mp3 player is absolutely the wrong way to go.

If you want to ignore the fact that your car stereo can play music from a USB memory stick, and use the playback from an mp3 player instead (using the mp3 player user interface, and it's audio output connected to your car stereo or a mini FM transmitter) then go for it.

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    What lets so many players down is the internal amplifier. The low battery voltage and weaknesses in the design of the amp means that MP3's sound worse than they should. At the moment I am trying an iBasso X5 player and that is passable but still well short of the sound of my Sony WM-D6C which plays from quiet to loud really well.

Ibasso is coming out with a new model in the beginning of April which promises to be interesting. The X9 I think it's called.
  • Options
    ShallShall Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    How come there is no way to create folders on a USB stick?

How are your files organised?

This for me, you should be able to set what ever folder structure required on a USB stick. I have mine all set up Artist Name, Album Name. Media Monkey can be set to do this automatically when syncing
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt, you don't need an MP3 player, no mp3 player is going to outputs music via USB. You car stereo is the MP3 however it sounds a bit basic in that it doesn't support folder structure correctly.

Check if there is a firmware upgrade for the stereo to offer better support.

If not then does your stereo have 3.5mm or phono input to connect an external player. If the stereo USB supplies power then you could use it for powering something like the Sandisk Clip and then connecting headphone output on the clip to your stereo. This would mean that you use the control on the clip which might be tricky while driving.

Alternative would be if your car stereo supports Bluetooth, then it may playback from files stored on your Bluetooth phone. Or if both support A2SD then you could playback on the phone to the car's speakers.
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    What lets so many players down is the internal amplifier. The low battery voltage and weaknesses in the design of the amp means that MP3's sound worse than they should.
    My Rockboxed Sansa Clip Zip goes far louder than I would ever want (admittedly that's with my sensitive IEMs), has a very low output impedance and ruler flat frequency response.

Some people just can't believe that something so cheap is so good, and hence feel an irrational desire to spend more money. Some of the stupidly expensive audiophile favourite players are equally good in sound quality terms, but some are actually atrocious in comparison.

There are some careful measurements of the previous generation Sansa clip+ here:
    http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/sansa-clip-measured.html

Cheers,
    David.