Osborne urged to act on tax and NICs

paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
Forum Member
http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/article/osborne-tax-and-nics/568726
A group representing self-employed taxpayers has called for a full merger of income tax and national insurance contributions and suggested the creation of a new “freelancer limited company” structure as an interim measure, while Menzies tax partner Simon Massey has called on the government to “get off the fence” and consult on an alignment of income tax and NICs.
In the meantime, a “freelancer limited company” structure would deliver “clarity of employment status” for independent professionals. “It would be a specific, opt-in structure, open only to independent professionals, not large companies, which would exempt them from IR35 and treat them as a business.”
Massey said the “real reason” for the delay appeared to be political. “No government wants to draw attention to the true marginal rate of tax that UK employees pay. For example, an employee on the UK average wage of £25,000 loses about a fifth of their income in tax and NIC.”

As something muted by the OTS after the election it is about time we had some positive movement on this. And clarity on employment status might also lead to a decline in ZHC being used to ensure flexibility in staffing.

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I keep harping on about how income tax an NI should be merged but it is nice to have an organisation like that agree with me. It's the holy grail of tax reform and one I do believe will happen eventually because it is the best way to help the working poor.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. For most people, the 20% basic rate of tax is a myth. It's 32% when you include NI.

They could have a lower tax rate for pension income, which isn't subject to NI.
  • TheEngineerTheEngineer Posts: 7,789
    Forum Member
    National Insurance kicks in at £153.01 per week or about £8,000 per year. Perhaps a first step would be to harmonise this with the income tax allowance.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    I agree. For most people, the 20% basic rate of tax is a myth. It's 32% when you include NI.

They could have a lower tax rate for pension income, which isn't subject to NI.

Well according to the statement I received from HMRC recently the government took 26% of my earnings last year
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    National Insurance kicks in at £153.01 per week or about £8,000 per year. Perhaps a first step would be to harmonise this with the income tax allowance.

I agree, both of which should be set at the minimum wage level.