Options

UK Manufacturing growth picks up

paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31088390
The UK manufacturing sector expanded at a faster pace in January following a modest recovery in export orders, a closely-watched survey has indicated.

The latest Markit/CIPS Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) rose to 53 from 52.7 in December. A figure above 50 indicates growth.
Orders from both home and abroad came in faster last month, the survey showed, with the new export orders index at a five-month high.

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always good to see manufacturing growing. We need more of it if we want a sustainable recovery.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps some of the impending job losses in the offshore oil industry as a result of price drops will be offset by more jobs in manufacturing, but there would need to be re-skilling for the displaced workers to be directly transferable and they may not be able to command the same sorts of wages. So a mixed story depending on where you sit in the equation?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Dave. Good job George.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

Not quite, given that it was in growth around 46 in 2012.

Not so well done Dave. Not so well done George.
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite, given that it was in growth around 46 in 2012.

Not so well done Dave. Not so well done George.

?:confused:

46 in 2012 and now 53 at begining of 2015. is this not good news? are you not happy our economy is the best performing out of all G7 nations?
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

Well saying the report says this Cheaper oil led to a sharp drop in costs for companies, the survey found.

Markit said the lower costs led to factories cutting their prices for only the second time in the past five years., So nothing to do with dave and George, lets not forget when oil prices and energy cost go up they always tell us they have no control over these things.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ?:confused:

46 in 2012 and now 53 at begining of 2015. is this not good news? are you not happy our economy is the best performing out of all G7 nations?

Apologies, I read it the wrong way round. I meant it was 57 in 2014, and now down to 53.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Apologies, I read it the wrong way round. I meant it was 57 in 2014, and now down to 53.

Both figures are still growth (and the problems in the EU - which gets between 30-40% of our exports has deeper problems than it did a year ago).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is always a rise in January due to the Christmas shut down in most manufacturing plants in December when orders are held over until the New Year and therefore added into the January figures.
    In this case it is a very slight rise which is worrying.
  • Options
    worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both figures are still growth (and the problems in the EU - which gets between 30-40% of our exports has deeper problems than it did a year ago).

I am sceptical about statistics at any time but more so with an election coming up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    worzil wrote: »
    I am sceptical about statistics at any time but more so with an election coming up.

a) We have had growth now for some time

b) They are not government figures
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it great how just before an election things start to get better?

At least in the media that is.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    worzil wrote: »

Why? Who do you think compiles the statistics?
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be worse, the Greens could get in and we would be crouching in the forest trying to decide which fungi are edible
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    It could be worse, the Greens could get in and we would be crouching in the forest trying to decide which fungi are edible

At least we'd have trees to crouch beneath.

Rather than living in concrete jungles buying our air from the 1%.
  • Options
    MoxeyMoxey Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice that Mr Ron Dawson, a senior economist at Markit, said that the figures would "provide little meaningful boost" to the economy in the first quarter. I didn't see that quote in the helpful little synopsis given by the OP. Odd that - not really. The "you never had it so good" Tory threads are getting more pathetic by the day. A tiny improvement compared to the month of DECEMBER when everything comes to a stop, anyway!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least we'd have trees to crouch beneath.

Rather than living in concrete jungles buying our air from the 1%.

Just remind me how "Richer regions do not have the right to use migration controls to protect their privileges from others in the long term," works ?, because there are going to be alot of people chasing after not a lot of fungus
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just remind me how "Richer regions do not have the right to use migration controls to protect their privileges from others in the long term," works ?, because there are going to be alot of people chasing after not a lot of fungus

Moving the goal posts now?

Not content with having the Greens losing people their jobs (even though those jobs are not economically viable in a Green society), you now want to have everyone from other countries coming here.

Everyone in the whole wide world wants to come to the UK?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was green party policy lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That was green party policy lol

It wasn't Policy it was your fantasy world where everyone in the whole wide world thinks the UK is so great, even though the Greens are in charge, that they leave every other part of the world to come here

The Green UK where there are apparently no Manufacturing jobs and people live in the trees and eat soya.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Opps wrong thread. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And again. rolleyes