Options

Is anyone really bothered about the deficit?

Comments

• Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its simple arithmetic, simply divide the spending by the population.

As it's simple arithmetic, can you take us through the figures - step by step please.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    As it's simple arithmetic, can you take us through the figures - step by step please.

Someone's done a bit of it for you,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32272817

Now add in health, education, pensions..........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Historically it's always been that way that during times of hardship the immigrants get blamed.

That's a bit of a myth. Immigration was the biggest issue for most of the 00s, when the economy was booming.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Images/Polls/immigrationfigsoct13.gif
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Ed Balls was talking about it on the BBC, but to be honest there are hundreds of other things that will make us vote one way or another. Surely noone is going to change their vote on something that doesn't seemingly affect our day to day life :confused:

Of course, this is just what Greek voters were saying 10 years ago.
  • Options
    Steve_HolmesSteve_Holmes Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a lot of nonsense. Where to start pulling this rambling post apart?

You don't have to puzzle over that nonsense claim of yours - just admit it, and make sure that you don't miss taking your tablets again. You do that far too often.
    I know quite a lot of things thank you very much, but thanks for signalling early on that your post would be total garbage.
    To you, I guess it would appear like that , as it was written for sensible people. Sorry if I included too many long words

Why do you assume I don't want secure borders? That whole section is just you putting words in my mouth and then criticizing them!
    Because you are pro-EU - and secure borders are impossible to maintain as it goes against the EU's ideology.
    What ill informed views? This thread is about the deficit. I made no comment on UKIP's policy on immigration. Again, you've gone off on some mad tangent that has nothing to do with my post or the theme of this thread.

How about your inane comment about UKIP supporters blaming 'all' - "questions" as you egregiously put it , on immigrants.....and the thread was about the deficit if you recall.

The discussion isn't about economic benefit, it was about the deficit. So the quote you provided doesn't prove or disprove anything that we being discussed.
    Well you posted the reference!!!!
    As above, we are discussing the deficit in this thread. Claiming I was pursuing some "ideological construct", is totally false.
    Read it again .....more slowly this time, and maybe you won't jump to such a ridiculous conclusion.
    Maybe try reading and thinking before just dumping a heap of ill thought through comments would be a good idea. Why not try it?

You first!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't go to greedy bankers, the main investors in government bonds are pension funds.

Which are managed by bankers. Bankers get paid to organise the floating the debt, bankers get paid to organise the purchase of the debt, bankers get paid to organise the resale of the debt. Bankers get rich by being paid to provide services to their clients- they are not playing with their own personal money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    That's a bit of a myth. Immigration was the biggest for most of the 00s when the economy was booming.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Images/Polls/immigrationfigsoct13.gif

Anyone would think it is completely irrational for people to be concerned with boosting the population by 300,000 people per year when we are already struggling with the public services to cater for those who are already here. Until such time it starts to affect their local services, or they can't get a house, their kid in school and a two week wait for a GP appointment, at which time it becomes a problem, although the ostrich types will still just blame the government for not doing more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    Is anyone really bothered about the deficit?

Not really.

So long as pension funds, the money markets and other investors continue to lend money to the British government, why worry ?

They will always continue to lend money to the British Government - the question is what rate of interest will they charge? At the moment we get one of the world's cheapest rates - the minute that changes we will be as stuffed as Spain and Portugal.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its simple arithmetic, simply divide the spending by the population.

That little sum doesn't actually confirm either of your statements. As this is the third time I've asked, I think its easier to just assume you are making up your data to suit your arguments.

Not really worth the time to debate with someone that just makes stuff up. Are you Grant Shapps by any chance?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have to puzzle over that nonsense claim of yours - just admit it, and make sure that you don't miss taking your tablets again. You do that far too often.

Playground level insults. Very mature.
    To you, I guess it would appear like that , as it was written for sensible people. Sorry if I included too many long words

It didn't.

Because you are pro-EU - and secure borders are impossible to maintain as it goes against the EU's ideology.

We are not part of the Schengen Area, we can impose far more secure borders than we have without any reference to the EU. The fact we have almost no border controls is UK policy, not EU policy.
    How about your inane comment about UKIP supporters blaming 'all' - "questions" as you egregiously put it , on immigrants.....and the thread was about the deficit if you recall.

Do you read BrokenArrow's post that I was replying to? The one blaming immigration for the deficit? My posts are relevant, unlike yours.

Well you posted the reference!!!!

No BrokenArrow did.
    Read it again .....more slowly this time, and maybe you won't jump to such a ridiculous conclusion.

You first!

No need, I read it and thought about it the first time, unlike you.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most voters probably aren't and many politicians don't appear to be but as debt interest is the fourth largest item of public spending and as the government is still running a very sizeable budget deficit they both ought to be.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus we can look at HMRC's own numbers,

2000- 29.3 million taxpayers.
    2014 - 29.3 million taxpayers.

Millions more people and not one of them paying tax.

In a large part I suspect due to the increase in the personal allowance. 3.2m fewer people will be paying income tax in April 2015 compared with April 2010

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN06569.pdf

Bloody tax dodgers >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    In a large part I suspect due to the increase in the personal allowance. 3.2m fewer people will be paying income tax in April 2015 compared with April 2010

Please stop confusing BrokenArrow with facts, it hurts his brain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please stop confusing BrokenArrow with facts, it hurts his brain

I think its you that are confused, all those facts do are confirm exactly what I was saying.

Another fact confirmed here, is that, like the LSE or UCL, you do not understand how to interpret data.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »

It doesn't matter how the figures are derived, the end result is the same, more people + less taxpayers = large deficit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter how the figures are derived, the end result is the same, more people + less taxpayers = large deficit.

I think you are confusing taxpayers with income taxpayers. There are more tax payers in the UK now.

Correcting you does get repetitive after a while.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The deficit is a barometer of our economy and like others should be recognised but not overly emphasised.

A competent Govt should be running a deficit during a recession and also because of the malaise of the Eurozone - one of our biggest clients for our businesses. There should be a long term plan to improve the economy but deficit-hawks can make things worse.

The problem is that if you concentrate on getting the deficit down you can end up making things worse. The best way to get rid of the deficit is to stimulate growth to increase tax revenues and eliminate the need for benefit/public spending.

Cutting £12 billion from public spending without helping growth just because of the deficit is a bad call. If you cut to fund tax cuts then it might work. Just cutting damages the private sector as it reduces its income.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Playground level insults. Very mature.
    Well when you post ike a child you should expect to be treated as such!
    We are not part of the Schengen Area, we can impose far more secure borders than we have without any reference to the EU. The fact we have almost no border controls is UK policy, not EU policy.
    That is totally irrelevant. The Schengen agreement invalidates passports, as well as having no border control - but we no longer have the right to exclude EU passport holders.....i.e we can no longer control our borders.
    Do you read BrokenArrow's post that I was replying to? The one blaming immigration for the deficit? My posts are relevant, unlike yours.
    Nope - your extremely childish response was not addressing immigration - you claimed that ALL 'questions' were blamed on immigrants by UKIP supporters - so stop childishly acting as if you had made a positive contribution to the thread .
    No BrokenArrow did.
    Indeed - I apologise for my error.
    No need, I read it and thought about it the first time, unlike you.
    From your responses to date, I seriously doubt that you can read.....or at least understand what has been written - judging by your ludicrous comment that I 'accused you of following an "ideological construct".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    The deficit is a barometer of our economy and like others should be recognised but not overly emphasised.

A competent Govt should be running a deficit during a recession and also because of the malaise of the Eurozone - one of our biggest clients for our businesses. There should be a long term plan to improve the economy but deficit-hawks can make things worse.

The problem is that if you concentrate on getting the deficit down you can end up making things worse. The best way to get rid of the deficit is to stimulate growth to increase tax revenues and eliminate the need for benefit/public spending.

Cutting £12 billion from public spending without helping growth just because of the deficit is a bad call. If you cut to fund tax cuts then it might work. Just cutting damages the private sector as it reduces its income.
    Unfortunately, the opposite is also true - as the servicing costs of our greatly expanding national debt is wasting a huge amount of money that could be put to far better use. Your comment was claiming that a competent government should run a deficit during a recession........but governments of all hue generally have a habit of running a deficit irrespective of whether or not we are in a recession - hence, the huge national debt. People seem to think that deficits are of no consequence............but that is far from the truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well when you post ike a child you should expect to be treated as such!
    That is totally irrelevant. The Schengen agreement invalidates passports, as well as having no border control - but we no longer have the right to exclude EU passport holders.....i.e we can no longer control our borders.

Nope - your extremely childish response was not addressing immigration - you claimed that ALL 'questions' were blamed on immigrants by UKIP supporters - so stop childishly acting as if you had made a positive contribution to the thread .

Indeed - I apologise for my error.
    From your responses to date, I seriously doubt that you can read.....or at least understand what has been written - judging by your ludicrous comment that I 'accused you of following an "ideological construct".

Bored with your pointless butting in on my exchange with BrokenArrow, especially as you didn't even seem to read most of the exchange and just want to regurgitate tired slogans.

One final correction, you are the only one mentioning immigrants. I wrote immigration was blamed for everything by UKIP, not immigrants. If you are going to get all offended, at least read the thing you are offended about a little more carefully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bored with your pointless butting in on my exchange with BrokenArrow, especially as you didn't even seem to read most of the exchange and just want to regurgitate tired slogans.

One final correction, you are the only one mentioning immigrants. I wrote immigration was blamed for everything by UKIP, not immigrants. If you are going to get all offended, at least read the thing you are offended about a little more carefully.

Well done you are catching on... exactly, immigration is the problem, not immigrants.

At the end of the day, there are too many people in this country for the tax income that is being received. Whether those contributing to tax are natives or migrants workers is irrelevant, the net result is the same, Immigration caused the problem.

That's why the LSE and UCL results were flawed in their interpretation of the data.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done you are catching on... exactly, immigration is the problem, not immigrants.

At the end of the day, there are too many people in this country for the tax income that is being received. Whether those contributing to tax are natives or migrants workers is irrelevant, the net result is the same, Immigration caused the problem.

That's why the LSE and UCL results were flawed in their interpretation of the data.

I wrote ukip blame immigration (not immigrants) for everything. I didn't write that I agreed.

If immigrants are net contributors, they are helping reduce the deficit. Sorry if the LSE and UCL don't confirm your prejudices, and even more sorry you can't find any other sources of data to back up your claims. Everyone is wrong and you are the only one that can see the truth. It must be lonely being you.
  • Options
    GlastonGlaston Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    The annual interest bill on our national debt would be enough to increase NHS spending by 50 per cent.

If you aren't concerned about this effective waste of over £50bn a year you should be.
    PFI payments would likely add another 10 billion a year on costs

Read something about PFI costing 200 billion to produce assets worth about 20 bilion
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    Ed Balls was talking about it on the BBC, but to be honest there are hundreds of other things that will make us vote one way or another. Surely noone is going to change their vote on something that doesn't seemingly affect our day to day life :confused:

Do you really think that having to pay more and more compound interest on a debt that therefore costs the UK more and more each year won't affect a government's ability to provide services and so affect day to day life/
  • Options
    Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    nope more concerned with the money that goes on foriegn aid,and the rising pricies of gas/electric ect