Multiverse, parallel universes?

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Stephen Hawking said that in a parallel universe that Zayn Malik could still be in 1Direction. I've heard of this concept before but it boggles the mind and I don't understand.

Does this mean you also exist simultaneously in another universe but where events occur differently? :confused:

In a parallel universe could Germany have won the war, for example? Or maybe the dinosaurs didn't die out?

It doesn't make any sense at all.

Comments

• oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch the classic US tv series Sliders.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    I'm not a physicist, but from my understanding, if there are an infinite number of parallel universes then there will be a universe in which Germany won the war. There'll be a universe where I created this topic. There may even be a universe where I get banned for being rude in this topic.

However I don't think a universe exists in which the DS search function works properly.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so there is a universe where i had sex with Tina Murray...... yeh get me
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    I'm not a physicist, but from my understanding, if there are an infinite number of parallel universes then there will be a universe in which Germany won the war. There'll be a universe where I created this topic. There may even be a universe where I get banned for being rude in this topic.

However I don't think a universe exists in which the DS search function works properly.

I like your style :D

I did read one theory that said that for every decision you made, it created a new "fork" in space/time that followed the consequences of that decision until you made the next one, which then forked again and so on.

So, in theory, there's an alternate timeline where i'm actually married .. :o
  • DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idea is that where alternative scenarios are possible there'll be a universe for each alternative, eg there's a universe where I went to the dentist this morning and a universe where I didn't. It all sounds crazy, but when you read more about it you can see why this theory or interpretation is taken seriously by some of those who make it their life's work to study this sort of thing. So yes, if by any chance this is right then there's a universe where Germany won the war, Edward didn't have to abdicate after marrying Wallis, Coronation Street was a failure that was ditched after a few months, and England won the last World Cup. :)
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like your style :D

I did read one theory that said that for every decision you made, it created a new "fork" in space/time that followed the consequences of that decision until you made the next one, which then forked again and so on.

So, in theory, there's an alternate timeline where i'm actually married .. :o

So a bit like one of those 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books? :blush:
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The theory is a nice reminder that we shouldn't just accept our lot in life as set in stone, or be afraid to look at ourselves from different perspectives. If, theoretically at least, there are other versions of ourselves who have achieved things we aspire to, then why not you also?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a sci-fi show some years ago called "Charlie Jade" that played around with the concept of parallel universes and a person's ability to jump between them. Worth a look.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    The theory is a nice reminder that we shouldn't just accept our lot in life as set in stone, or be afraid to look at ourselves from different perspectives. If, theoretically at least, there are other versions of ourselves who have achieved things we aspire to, then why not you also?

That's a nice way to think about it :)
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Watch the classic US tv series Sliders.

Star Trek and Stargate both went into parallel universes and family guy multiverse episode and many other shows have done parallel universe
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a sci-fi show some years ago called "Charlie Jade" that played around with the concept of parallel universes and a person's ability to jump between them. Worth a look.

So could you jump to a parallel universe and meet your other self? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    So could you jump to a parallel universe and meet your other self? :o

If memory serves, i think they got around that by having a "hub" of some sorts where certain people could cross through to each universe - and i only think they had 3 universes as well, to be fair.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so there is a universe where instead of clicking right click on a mouse i clicked left? seems a waste of a universe
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen Hawking said that in a parallel universe that Zayn Malik could still be in 1Direction. I've heard of this concept before but it boggles the mind and I don't understand.

Why?
    Are you a massive 1Direction fan?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why?
    Are you a massive 1Direction fan?

No in fact I've never heard any of their songs :blush:

It's just that Hawking used it as an example of the concept
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Buttplug!

(Hi I'm from the universe where it is the height of politeness to answer all questions with the answer: Buttplug!)
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so there is a universe where instead of clicking right click on a mouse i clicked left? seems a waste of a universe
    Worse still there's a universe where you clicked left, I clicked left, one where you clicked left, I clicked right, one where you clicked right, I clicked left, you clicked right, I clicked right...

...you threw the computer through the window...

...so either there's a hell of a lot of universes or the theory is codswallop (or rubbish or crap or shite...

... depending on which universe I'm in)

It also means that free will doesn't exist as all decisions are possible and you've taken them all - as has everybody & everything in the universe down to the sub atomic level
    Forum Member
    Of course you do realise that in many universes, Stephen Hawking didn't say this at all.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does this mean you also exist simultaneously in another universe but where events occur differently? :confused:

In a parallel universe could Germany have won the war, for example? Or maybe the dinosaurs didn't die out?

It doesn't make any sense at all.

Think of it like this

A man is sat in a chair with a gun pointed at his head. The gun will fire, killing him, if a coin toss lands on heads. If it lands on tails, its tossed again. Each time the coin is tossed, two outcomes are created, one in which he dies, on in which he lives. Each time the coin is tossed, 2 more outcomes come out. In one reality, the coin always lands on tails, and he lives forever.

Thats a simple 50/50 outcome, now consider all the choices you can make in a single day, factor in every other human, then every other living organism that is able to make choices or events that have random outcomes.

You end up with every single possible thing ever in an infinite number of dimensions.

In one dimension, the 1D boys are bummed to death by a cyborg Hitler with a carrot for a head.
    Forum Member
    Hard to say this, but there is also a universe where 1 Direction are tuneful and talented!
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    In the multiverse ANYTHING and ANY situation is possible, even the laws of physics can change in the multiverse
  • coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to be in a PU where I win the lottery. I win sweet sod all in this one.
    Forum Member
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    In one dimension, the 1D boys are bummed to death by a cyborg Hitler with a carrot for a head.

AGAIN?! This keeps happening to them. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the multiverse ANYTHING and ANY situation is possible, even the laws of physics can change in the multiverse

Thats different from dimensions though, thats a whole different subject. It gets hazy as fook around their because you are talking about stuff we may never know, true or otherwise. Like if their was a big bang, what was here before then, what did the universe explode into, and if it was into something, surely that something must have edges and therefore be in something bigger. And then that too must be inside something etc etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to be in a PU where I win the lottery. I win sweet sod all in this one.

WHY!?! Go into the one in which you are the immortal king of the entire universe, to hell with the lottery.