Options

E cig ban in Wales.... Why?

Comments

• Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I saw the news report where people appeared to be blowing big clouds of smoke (even if it actually wasn't). I'd never seen that type before, but agree that they should be banned. I'm not keen on seeing people sucking away on the ones that barely have any emissions, but that's only because it's slightly disturbing to see adults sucking a dummy.

I guarantee there will be things you do that I don't like. Shall we ban those too? And if not, why not?
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fastzombie wrote: »
    Are they banning them, or just banning their use in public places?

In Public Places, even cancer Research is not backing this. However ASH will be as their largest and only significant sponsor Pfizer is very anti e-cigs as they make nicotine replacements and e-cigs are harming their sales, also the government loses tax revenue if more people switch to vaping than real tobacco, about 82.5% taxes on every pack.

Meanwhile very little is done about diesel which is far more harmful to people and causes many lung diseases and childhood asthma , or the general state of air pollution.
  • Options
    anfortisanfortis Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    In Public Places, even cancer Research is not backing this. However ASH will be as their largest and only significant sponsor Pfizer is very anti e-cigs as they make nicotine replacements and e-cigs are harming their sales, also the government loses tax revenue if more people switch to vaping than real tobacco, about 82.5% taxes on every pack.

Actually, according to the BBC infographic ASH is against the ban.

Edited to add link
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anfortis wrote: »
    Actually, according to the BBC infographic ASH is against the ban.

I must say that does surprise me
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonderful post yet you totally failed to give a valid reason for just deciding off the top of your head to force your opinion on others with a ban?

Do you see why people don't like ill-informed people coming out with knee-jerk reactions and then many more just trotting along with them?
    Okay then - I object to it because blowing great clouds of smoke-like vapour is invasive.

From a personal point of view I'd also prefer cigarette smoking banned outside pubs and well as inside. The main reason is the foul stench that they create outside, bring back in with them, both on their breath and on their clothing.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »
    The health risks of e-cigs are minimal

simply not the case

no one really knows yet
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just banning the use in enclosed places which I think is fair enough. They can still use them outside and in their own homes.

Why is it fair though? None of the reasons for banning smoking with cigarettes in public spaces are valid when it comes to e-cigs.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    Do we actually know what toxins are in ecigs? I have heard they contain formaldehyde which is a known carcinogenic.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    certainly smelt like smoke to me.

why is the liquid necessary? i don`t need liquid to vapourise herb.

anyone?
  • Options
    anfortisanfortis Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Do we actually know what toxins are in ecigs? I have heard they contain formaldehyde which is a known carcinogenic.

Apparently formaldehyde can be formed when e-liquid is heated to a much higher temperature than that used in electronic cigarettes (600C vs 200-260C), therefore it is not present in everyday use of e-cigarettes.

Source

Edited for clarity
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    Because we simply must continue this assault on smoking/vaping for the children whilst completely ignoring alcohol, sugar and fat of which the latter two are a serious and current risk to children's health.
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    simply not the case

no one really knows yet

I am not aware of any peer-reviewed research that shows the health risks of using e-cigs are anything but minimal. There is, however, research that shows there are no significant health risks associated with e-cigs:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/14/18/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4110871/
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    anyone?

The liquid is there to dilute the nicotine and flavours down to a suitable level, and the vapour produced acts as a carrier for them.
  • Options
    dee_effdee_eff Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    certainly smelt like smoke to me.

why is the liquid necessary? i don`t need liquid to vapourise herb.

I think our understanding of the word "vapour" differs. If you can tell me what it means to you it might make "i don`t need liquid to vapourise herb." easier to understand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The liquid is there to dilute the nicotine and flavours down to a suitable level, and the vapour produced acts as a carrier for them.

thank you, sounds very complicated in comparison all i need is a vaporiser, stash and an energy source.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Just banning the use in enclosed places which I think is fair enough. They can still use them outside and in their own homes.

Why do you think that it is FAIR to impose a ban for NO VALID REASON.

It so worrying in this country how some just fall in line and think that taking away other's freedom is all OK and don't even have to have a valid reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Okay then - I object to it because blowing great clouds of smoke-like vapour is invasive.

From a personal point of view I'd also prefer cigarette smoking banned outside pubs and well as inside. The main reason is the foul stench that they create outside, bring back in with them, both on their breath and on their clothing.

And I find your stance invasive and offensive. What shall we do about that?
    What protection from control freaks do we have?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dee_eff wrote: »
    I think our understanding of the word "vapour" differs. If you can tell me what it means to you it might make "i don`t need liquid to vapourise herb." easier to understand.

i`m now investigating that, i`ll come back if i understand anything.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    thank you, sounds very complicated in comparison all i need is a vaporiser, stash and an energy source.

I know nothing abut 'herb' but I'd guess the active ingredients are already at such a low concentration that they don't need to be diluted any further.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shaddler wrote: »
    I am not aware of any peer-reviewed research that shows the health risks of using e-cigs are anything but minimal. There is, however, research that shows there are no significant health risks associated with e-cigs:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/14/18/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4110871/

But still we'll ban them abusing children as the key emotional blackmail. In fact anything for us control freaks to get just our way again.

[rolleyes]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know nothing abut 'herb' but I'd guess the active ingredients are already at such a low concentration that they don't need to be diluted any further.

yes i`d imagine, i was thinking of it for creating vapour rather than dilution.
  • Options
    Ivor BiggunIvor Biggun Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Meanwhile you'll be smug in the knowledge you can legally stand at the bar with your stinking alcohol breath and with your clothes reeking from the traffic fumes you've brought in with you. All this so you can eat your garlic laden Chicken Kiev dinner without having to accept that other thing give off odours as well.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    As a non smoker and hater of **** smells and smoke I really don't understand the thinking here.
    Yes they make the person using them look ridiculous, but I'm really not bothered by water vapour. Why not ban kettles as well :o:confused:

Bottom line is they've stopped thousands from smoking.

They haven't, they've made smoking more popular
    I don't want to eat where vapour , of whatever kind, is wafting in my face
  • Options
    dee_effdee_eff Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    I saw the news report where people appeared to be blowing big clouds of smoke (even if it actually wasn't). I'd never seen that type before, but agree that they should be banned. I'm not keen on seeing people sucking away on the ones that barely have any emissions, but that's only because it's slightly disturbing to see adults sucking a dummy.

The "big clouds of smoke (even if it actually wasn't)" people were blowing are a minority of vapers known as "cloud-chasers" This is attained by using devices with a very low resistance (< 1Ω) and a higher wattage, the e-liquid used is usually with a higher relative vegetable glycerin content. There are always people who will push the boundaries in any field, think of computer hobbyists who overclock everything in their rig or boy-racers who pimp their cars.
    I have given up smoking after 54 years of using "stinkies", I have been vaping exclusively for seven months now without the slightest yearning for my old habit and even I wouldn't like to sit next to a couple of those "extremists".
    Also, on probably the same TV news item (Sky News), the interviewer compared sitting next to a vaper with a strong flavoured scent to someone wearing a strong perfume or after-shave. Surely these could be the next targets if the same argument is applied :)
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    Tellystar wrote: »
    They haven't, they've made smoking more popular
    I don't want to eat where vapour , of whatever kind, is wafting in my face

Have they?

Is that why smoking is at its lowest level since records began in the 40s?