Only when I laugh on ITV3

jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
Forum Member
Anyone watching the reshowing of Only when I laugh on ITV3.
I've always found it to be one of the most underrated,funny sitcoms there has ever been.
I view it like rising damp in a sitcomwhere the actors delivery of quite basic material make it what it is.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Just watching an episode now....one thing I didn't remember from watching it years ago is that James Bolam put on a 'cockney' type accent!!
  • bhvictorybhvictory Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love this show when I was a kid. It's always a joy to see shows like this again!

A great reminder of the days when ITV made funny sitcoms and didn't have it's obsession with celebrity reality shows and rip-off phone-in and voting shows.

I remember another Yorkshire TV classic from the same era which was The Gaffer with Bill Maynard, in which he played the manager of an engineering firm. Anyone else remember this?

:D:):cool:
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhvictory wrote: »

I remember another Yorkshire TV classic from the same era which was The Gaffer with Bill Maynard, in which he played the manager of an engineering firm. Anyone else remember this?

:D:):cool:
    yes we remember this series, he was "an oop north version" of Arfur Daley, how about Oh No Its Selwyn Froggitt
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes we remember this series, he was "an oop north version" of Arfur Daley, how about Oh No Its Selwyn Froggitt

Well I was born in 1978, so I don't remember Selwyn from the first time around. But I've seen the videos and it's yet another great show. Yorkshire TV made quite a few classic sitcoms in the 70s and 80s.

Rising Damp, Only When I Laugh, Selwyn, The Gaffer, Duty Free, Home to Roost, The Bounder.... etc.

To name a few!

It's just a shame ITV messed up what a great comedy unit it had.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I was born in 1978, so I don't remember Selwyn from the first time around. But I've seen the videos and it's yet another great show. Yorkshire TV made quite a few classic sitcoms in the 70s and 80s.

Rising Damp, Only When I Laugh, Selwyn, The Gaffer, Duty Free, Home to Roost, The Bounder.... etc.

To name a few!

Thames and LWT were great sitcom makers. They were shows the whole family could sit down and watch together.

Those were the days!!!

:D:cool::):cry:
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Only When I Laugh" had a great cast but I could never get over the fact that it concerned 3 people spending a very long time in hospital with, apparently, nothing wrong with them.

A very good ITV sitcom that is never mentioned is "Get Some In"

Tony Selby and a (young) Robert Lindsay playing "3 F Smifff"
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i am a very old cat and remember it on its first run :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mind Your Language is one of the earliest sitcoms I remember watching on Saturday evenings. I used to find it hysterical whenever the foreign characters misinterpreted things. It didn't matter what they said, it was all to do with the way they said it. An example of great comic timing.
  • BriladBrilad Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have got very vague memories of Selwyn Froggatt I think it was just because as a nipper I liked his funny name to be honest.

Only When I Laugh was good but I found Christopher Strauli a bit strange in a difficult to define way.

And the male voice choir theme-toon gave me the creeps somehow.

ITV used to do some great stuff though, sad how they have changed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilad wrote: »

ITV used to do some great stuff though, sad how they have changed.

I've always said the same about ITV classic game shows too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member

To name a few!

Yes YTV knew how to do good comedy in that era.

Duty Free was excellent, but did anyone like That's My Boy with Mollie Sugden? I loved that and then Mollie's next YTV show My Husband & I.

In Loving Memory with Thora Hird was another caper too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    I've always said the same about ITV classic game shows too.

How very true!!

Blockbusters, Bullseye, 3-2-1, Price Is Right, Winner Takes All, Krypton Factor and Play Your Cards Right to name but a few.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Duty Free was excellent, but did anyone like That's My Boy with Mollie Sugden? I loved that and then Mollie's next YTV show My Husband & I.

My Husband & I. That was the one with her late husband, William Moore if I remember right!

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How very true!!

Blockbusters, Bullseye, 3-2-1, Price Is Right, Winner Takes All, Krypton Factor and Play Your Cards Right to name but a few.

They were great family viewing and were so innocent. Nowadays there's always some evil streak or thousands (sometimes millions) of pounds to be won or lost.

In those days if you won a deep fat fryer and a few hundred £££s you were more than happy!

:(:cry::)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How very true!!

The Krypton Factor was a great show. But they ruined it in 1995 when they revamped it so it was rubbish!!! This was the time when ITV started it's obsession of ruining what great shows it had and then subsequently axing them alltogether.
  • Oblido2007Oblido2007 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Blimey I remember That's My Boy. I was beginning to think I dreamt it or summit as I was the only one that could remember it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How very true!!

Oh the good old days. In my view, thats was television at its best!
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilad wrote: »

Only When I Laugh was good but I found Christopher Strauli a bit strange in a difficult to define way.

Was he the actor who played Bunny in 'Raffles'? He was perfect for the part in that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,796
    Forum Member
    I love Only When I Laugh....Peter Bowles is very funny, and its nice to see a young Meldrew.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    Was he the actor who played Bunny in 'Raffles'? He was perfect for the part in that

He was, he was also in the UK version of 80s comedy Full House, co-starring along side Brian Capron (Coronation Street's Richard Hillman.
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,871
    Forum Member
    Seeing the reruns of this show has been great. The best bit is it is just as good as I remember.

I remember when I was at Primary school we were doing a Christmas concert and we all had to go back to school in the evening to get ready for it and the performance. Anyway I always remember this lad arriving at school and going up to our teacher and saying "Joe said he isn't coming tonight because he wants to stop at home and watch Only When I Laugh"

:D:D:D
    Teacher went ballistic at him the next day.

So whenever I see this show I always remember that incident lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,796
    Forum Member
    So he wasn't H-A-P-P-Y then:D
  • Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In Loving Memory was an underrated gem IMO........never seen it repeated anywhere since it was first shown and no sign of it appearing on DVD either which is a shame.:(

Duty Free was indeed excellent. I think Gwen Taylor's performance in it is brilliant.