Options

Elton John to become a father again

grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/elton-john-and-david-furnish-baby-1428450

Crikey, the guy is 65 years old - 25 years older than adoption societies like you to be. When his kid is only 15, Elton will be 80 !! (If he's still alive!).

Sorry, but I find this absolutely awful - merely an ego trip for Elton without any thought at all about the long term effects it might have on the child.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/elton-john-and-david-furnish-baby-1428450

Crikey, the guy is 65 years old - 25 years older than adoption societies like you to be. When his kid is only 15, Elton will be 80 !! (If he's still alive!).

Sorry, but I find this absolutely awful - merely an ego trip for Elton without any thought at all about the long term effects it might have on the child.

He is a liitle too old but I don't think his partner is.
  • Options
    Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it 'awful'?

It's obvious Elton and David love their little boy Zachary very much. They have time and money to spare and if they want another child they can have as many as they want. OK, Elton's in his 60's, but Des O'Connor had another child when he was 79, so what's the problem? If you can give a child love, age is immaterial really.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it 'awful'?

It's obvious Elton and David love their little boy Zachary very much. They have time and money to spare and if they want another child they can have as many as they want. OK, Elton's in his 60's, but Des O'Connor had another child when he was 79, so what's the problem? If you can give a child love, age is immaterial really.

This.

Plus David is much younger than Elton and he's at an age where it isn't unusual to become a father.

Just googled and he turned 50 last month so there is every chance he'll still be around long after the new baby reaches adulthood.
  • Options
    Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of us know if. We will be around to raise our children.. My sister in law died 10 weeks after having her son... So I say good luck to Elton and David.. Their child will want for nothing and I'm sure will be surrounded by plenty of people who can care for them if anything did happen to either parent
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for them. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    None of us know if. We will be around to raise our children.. My sister in law died 10 weeks after having her son... So I say good luck to Elton and David.. Their child will want for nothing and I'm sure will be surrounded by plenty of people who can care for them if anything did happen to either parent

This is a very good point (although a little bit of a sad one).
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure they've sat down and thought carefully before making this decision, and as long as the child is loved that's the most important thing. Also, as other posters have said, David Furnish is much younger than Elton and likely to be around for a long time yet.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But what annoys me is that friends were told that at 40, they were now too old to adopt. And they've been trying for kids for 20 years with no success.

Seems that money talks!
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what annoys me is that friends were told that at 40, they were now too old to adopt. And they've been trying for kids for 20 years with no success.

Seems that money talks!

That would be down to your local authority policy though and nothing to do with money. Friends of my family recent adopted a 6 year old boy. She's 44 and he's 47.
  • Options
    PurpleTurtlePurpleTurtle Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God forbid an older person becomes a parent :rolleyes:

My nan had my mother at 44, and this was back in the mid 1950's! I know there's a difference between naturally conceiving a child and adopting one at a later age, but I'm sure people weren't telling her that she was too old to be looking after a young child.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    If a woman had a baby at 65 , would people have the same attitude.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaymes wrote: »
    He is a liitle too old but I don't think his partner is.

If it was just a case of Elton bringing him up, fine — he might be being a bit selfish. David will be there if anything happens to Elton before Zach reaches 16 though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seems that money talks!

Elton and David used a surrogate to have their baby. A baby that will have their blood running through its veins.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    If a woman had a baby at 65 , would people have the same attitude.

Yes. She'd be vilified.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Moonbean wrote: »
    I'm sure they've sat down and thought carefully before making this decision, and as long as the child is loved that's the most important thing. Also, as other posters have said, David Furnish is much younger than Elton and likely to be around for a long time yet.

I'm sure they have too. Elton has been saying for a while that he really wanted Zac to have a brother/sister. Nothing at all to do with an ego trip at all!

I wish them all the best.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The baby will be much loved.

I am delighted. xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems I misspelled Zack's name. I thought it would have been Zach.