The Bias Towards Patrick

Comments

• TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    DingDong08 wrote: »
    There is no way Patrick deserved to be (joint-)top of the leaderboard after his dances tonight. The Rumba was quite uncomfortable to watch and his Swingathon dance was a complete mess. Darcey specifically lacked any sort of subtlety about it, giving a 10 for a very mediocre dance. :confused:

100% agree it was terrible bias for sure
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    Thought Patrick's rumba was OK'ish. There wasn't a great deal of rumba content, and Anya did most of the work, twirling around - shades of Kristina!

Definitely not as good as Ashley's rumba of last week and what on earth was Darcey thinking giving it a 10????

And the swingathon - every time the camera was on him he was just standing tapping his feet, again letting Anya do all the dancing. Of course he may have done more when the camera was away from him, but even so I thought he'd be out 1st or 2nd.

That's just what i thought.
  • davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patrick's rumba was actually good, it was better than Ashley's. If there as a long list of great male rumba's on strictly that deserved a 10 and didn't get one then perhaps you could be churlish with Patrick. As it is there haven't been many better male rumbas and if it is amongst the best then it deserves the best score.
  • IlluvatarIlluvatar Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patrick's rumba just bored me, it was wooden, stiff and they looked like they wanted to punch each other rather than it being passionate. Thought Ashley and Ola's was much better mainly because they have a lot of chemistry.

I think it is due to the BBC. They have given up on Susanna because Natalie and Abbey are pretty much a shoo-in for the final and Sophie's profile makes her less vulnerable. They want a man in the final and they want it to be the guy who works for them. It sucks and hopefully the public see through it.

That's not to say Patrick is bad. I have enjoyed a couple of his dances. Seems like a nice guy. I just think he shouldn't be in the final because the BBC stamp their foot.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »
    Looks like the judges want a male in the final, and have written off Ashley for some reason.

If Ashley gets to the final he may win - I don't think they want three young males to win in a row; it makes it appear as though no one else has a chance now. As it is they stacked the field so there were a few potential female winners with very few male possibilities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    He's been to drama school and is the most experienced actor there - its not surprising he can dance and act - he's trained at both at a higher level than Natalie. . He avoids anything dynamic and gets allowances for it because of his age.

So because he can act and dance and is older he should be penalized for having some ability to perform??? That one I haven't heard. I don't understand the need to penalize the celebs because they have some ability... None of them are professionals yet people use their ability to pick them apart depending on who they are. Last season DVO and Kimberley got pegged with this. This season the vitriol is even worse and still unfairly doled out.

Doesn't Sophie work in the entertainment business. She's surrounded by music, yet there are no complaints about what she should and shouldn't be able to do.
  • *Venetia**Venetia* Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofakat wrote: »
    Gosh, the bias on this thread is quite shocking :o

I wonder why so many of you dislike this man so much when he is clearly the best male dancer - and I know what I am talking about and am the hardest critic. All dancers are.

His rumba was superb. Ashley's salsa was a badly executed, wooden hipped samba with very bad salsa steps thrown in. Awkward, flat footed and devoid of any Latin movement.

Patrick is streets ahead of him. Deal with it.

I so agree.
  • *Venetia**Venetia* Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idetached wrote: »
    Just had to repost this. The man has natural rhythm so he doesn't have to throw his hips out like Ola had Ashley practicing to do. Patrick knows how to move. The rumba was strong and masculine that's what made it look passionate. It actually looked like a man dancing with his woman. Patrick will never be able to do anything right for the ones that have personal dislike of him.

He is miles ahead of some of the others and so is Anya's choreography. I hope they make it to the finals.

I so agree again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Illuvatar wrote: »
    Patrick's rumba just bored me, it was wooden, stiff and they looked like they wanted to punch each other rather than it being passionate. Thought Ashley and Ola's was much better mainly because they have a lot of chemistry.

I think it is due to the BBC. They have given up on Susanna because Natalie and Abbey are pretty much a shoo-in for the final and Sophie's profile makes her less vulnerable. They want a man in the final and they want it to be the guy who works for them. It sucks and hopefully the public see through it.

That's not to say Patrick is bad. I have enjoyed a couple of his dances. Seems like a nice guy. I just think he shouldn't be in the final because the BBC stamp their foot.

Sound of nail being very firmly struck on head. Which also explains why Susanna is looking quite so hurt and bemused as suddenly all those nice comments and marks have suddenly disappeared. And Ashley is just looking seriously peeved as nothing he does in his dancing makes any difference whatsoever because his scores are predetermined to put him down the bottom.
  • kirstylouise666kirstylouise666 Posts: 6,959
    Forum Member

I wonder why so many of you dislike this man so much when he is clearly the best male dancer - and I know what I am talking about and am the hardest critic. All dancers are.

His rumba was superb. Ashley's salsa was a badly executed, wooden hipped samba with very bad salsa steps thrown in. Awkward, flat footed and devoid of any Latin movement.

Yes, have no clue why people dislike Patrick so much. He's a lovely man and is certainly not a bad dancer. Being a non biased person without a clear favourite, I don't think he deserves the amount of dislike he is getting, he IS the best male dancer.
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it strictly speaking 'bias' when the judges mark the better competitors more highly than t'others? I suppose it is a decision to privilege talent, feeling, expression and that stuff over other criteria :confused::p

Naughty judges :kitty:
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    This is my first year watching Strictly, and I think I'm watching a different show to the judges. There's no way Patrick deserved to stay in the swingathon over Sophie, and there's no way he's better than Ashley. I've liked Patrick since the start, and he seems like a decent bloke, but the bias the judges show him is very off-putting. I'll keep watching because it's so far into the series, but I think this'll be my first and last year: it's too uncomfortable watching such obvious manipulation.
  • FacechildFacechild Posts: 1,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll done Patrick. Keep up the good work whether you win the popular side or not. Fabulous performances.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said this on the show thread, but I think Patrick's Rumba might just be one of those dances that come over differently in the studio than on the TV. Posters who have been to the live show often say how different dances look in the studio and I think this is one of those dances.
  • Vicky36Vicky36 Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I agree that Patrick was over-marked tonight (and I say that as one of his fans). However, he's not the only one. Abbey, Natalie and Susanna are also over-marked regularly, so I really don't understand why Patrick's getting so much criticism. I really like him, but it's clear that he doesn't have the public support :( If we have to have an all female final, my vote will be for Sophie.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davegold wrote: »
    Patrick's rumba was actually good, it was better than Ashley's. If there as a long list of great male rumba's on strictly that deserved a 10 and didn't get one then perhaps you could be churlish with Patrick. As it is there haven't been many better male rumbas and if it is amongst the best then it deserves the best score.

Yeah I just watched it again, it isn't half bad.

It's such an insular dance, it isn't great entertainment to watch and I am worried for Patrick getting it at this stage of the competition. However, the fact it ended up my 3rd favourite routine of the night really shows (to me) what a hash Sophie and Susanna made of two visually strong dances.

Maybe I am biased too ...
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have to agree, Patrick has fantastic rhythm and musicality and, while the rumba is my most hated dance, I found his almost hypnotic to watch and thought he presented Anya (which is what it's all supposed to be about) incredibly well.

I enjoyed Ashley's performance but I completely agree with the comments about his hips, he's fine when he's gyrating sideways but his front/back movements are usually too big and lose that latin feel.
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could I just ask all the dance experts.

If Patricks Rumba was so good why was Anya so worried about it on both interviews on ITT & in training vids? She said he wasn't doing well & she was going to pray his acting got them through . Just wondering she is a professional dancer.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davegold wrote: »

That would be true if the competition was Patrick against all other male celeb rumbas, but it isn't. It's against those who were dancing tonight, and it wasn't good.

I'm really fed up with the male celebs being 'brainwashed', by the judges and just about everyone else, into believing the rumba is such a hard dance for male celebs. NO IT ISN'T. It really isn't.
  • Gullible PublicGullible Public Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, have no clue why people dislike Patrick so much. He's a lovely man and is certainly not a bad dancer. Being a non biased person without a clear favourite, I don't think he deserves the amount of dislike he is getting, he IS the best male dancer.

I don't see many people saying they dislike him - I personally think he has a very unassuming personality, which is refreshing.

However, that doesn't excuse the blatant over marking, not for those of us who are genuinely unbiased.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could I just ask all the dance experts.

If Patricks Rumba was so good why was Anya so worried about it on both interviews on ITT & in training vids? She said he wasn't doing well & she was going to pray his acting got them through . Just wondering she is a professional dancer.

For the same reason that other VTs have had either professional or celebrity saying they're "worried" about whatever dance they're doing that week - media b*llocks.
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm the polar opposite of an expert. I loved the bit where he just walked alongside Anya while she was spinning / fleeing him. Captured the mood of their argument perfectly. It was that kind of dance. Better than I was expecting from him. It was proper theatre, in my eyes: it told truths, had tension, drew you (or at least, me ;-)) in to the relationship between them. Only Abbey, IMO, had that quality of (different) feeling in her routine
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    I'm the polar opposite of an expert. I loved the bit where he just walked alongside Anya while she was spinning / fleeing him. Captured the mood of their argument perfectly. It was that kind of dance. Better than I was expecting from him. It was proper theatre, in my eyes: it told truths, had tension, drew you (or at least, me ;-)) in to the relationship between them. Only Abbey, IMO, had that quality of (different) feeling in her routine

I suppose if it makes you feel a tad uncomfortable it's a good sign (never could look Ramps and Karen in the eye after their AT :blush::D). Not that I felt Anya and Patrick were selling sex, I hasten to add. No, it was a different mood altogether as you suggest - it was still private enough to feel we shouldn't be watching though.
  • MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    Pet Monkey wrote: »

I agree 100%. I thought their take on the rumba was really well done. A dance is a set of steps, rhythm and style, no-one says a rumba should be the passionate sex-dance SCD fans seem to think it is. Same with tango - Sophie's tango tonight wasn't the usual SCD tango where they stomp around with "tango-face" locked on their chops. But they still danced a tango. I just wonder why Patrick is seen to be somehow inferior on this show and unworthy of points and high placings, when he's clearly a great dancer with a lot of talent. :confused:
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's be honest. It's really time they dumped the Rumba