Options

abolish rules on Christian assemblies

Comments

• Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    It's where nobody goes. A bit like most church services now really.

LOL :D it's funny cause' it's true.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Would you have Atheist services on a Monday, Christian on a Tuesday, Muslim on a Wednesday etc?

Abolishing Christian assemblies wouldn't be fair on Christians. ;)

It would help if you had actually read what is being proposed then you could agree or disagree with what is really being proposed rather than something you have made up.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    batgirl wrote: »
    "The comments will resurrect the row over the rules – set out in the 1944 Education Act – that require all state schools to provide Christian worship every day."

Only the rules don't say that - just that there should be a collective act. When i was a governor at our local Primary school, there was no religious element to assemblies, just a moment for the children to reflect on whatever the topic was. A quiet moment - religious children could pray, others just think about it. This was absolutely in compliance with the law (we checked)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DadDancer wrote: »
    I thought religious assemblies had already been ditched? When I was at school we could could drop RE too. Our school assemblies consisted mainly of announcements and news. Thought they were a total waste of time. Religion should always be optional in schools never compulsory as it is just a load of mumbo jumbo. Should be kept in the fiction section of the school librbary

That is the thing most people do not realise that we still have a law that requires all STATE NON FAITH schools to hold daily worship.

Removing this imposition is long overdue. Laws that require anyone to worship (or attend worship) are indefensible nonsense.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you have Atheist services on a Monday, Christian on a Tuesday, Muslim on a Wednesday etc?

Abolishing Christian assemblies wouldn't be fair on Christians. ;)

Not fair on Christians? How is it fair children of no religion or of a different religions have to sit through Christian assemblies every day? If Christians want their children to learn about god or whatever then they should bring them to church, school is not the place for it. You're being selfish.
  • Options
    dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    Not fair on Christians? How is it fair children of no religion or of a different religions have to sit through Christian assemblies every day? If Christians want their children to learn about god or whatever then they should bring them to church, school is not the place for it. You're being selfish.

i did not know about religion to when i started school my kids will be the same i will not teach them or tell them about religion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    Only the rules don't say that - just that there should be a collective act. When i was a governor at our local Primary school, there was no religious element to assemblies, just a moment for the children to reflect on whatever the topic was. A quiet moment - religious children could pray, others just think about it. This was absolutely in compliance with the law (we checked)

I am afraid you are mistaken;

'The most recent legal statement of the requirements for collective worship (as distinct from assembly) are contained in the School Standards and Framework Act 1998. These build on similar requirements in Section 346 of the Education Act 1996, the Education Reform Act 1988, and Section 25 of the 1944 Education Act, where the law on compulsory collective worship began. Section 70 of the 1998 Act states that, subject to the parental right of excusal or other special arrangements, “…each pupil in attendance at a community, foundation or voluntary school shall on each school day take part in an act of collective worship.”
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    Watcher #1 wrote: »

The wording is that the worship should be wholly or mainly of a broadly Christian character, is it not? And even if we drop the Christian bit then a collective act of worship is still, undeniably I think, religious in nature.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty sure if you don't want your kids to take part in it they don't have to.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, I think a child who truly believes is a child who also truly believes in all the other mythical figures Santa, Tooth fairy etc. If it's an older student, that truly believes then what's stoping them praying at home or at other times during the day. If you're looking at from a purely christian point of view, there's no religious doctrine that requires structured, alone time praying.

Actually I believe scripture encourages enclosed collective worship. It encourages spreading the gospel. Jesus also encourages children to come to him and not be hindered. I don't think he'd disagree with worship in assemblies.
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Religion obviously shouldn't be banned in schools. People should have the right to practice their own faith, but I definitely think schools should be banned from promoting certain religions so I think enforced worship and compulsory RE classes should be axed.

As others have said, schools should have nothing to do with religion. If people want to learn about their faith then they should go to their local place of worship.
    I still think RE should be a subject, but it should be optional and it should focus on all major religions. None of this learning solely about the life and miracles of Jesus rubbish I had to put up with.

Though that's not likely to be the case in the foreseeable future if Michael Gove has his way. Seems he would prefer more focus on Christianity:

" In a damning report, the education watchdog warned that teaching about Britain’s principal religion was “one of the weakest aspects” of RE lessons in English state schools.

Classes often descend into little more than a “superficial” analysis of different faiths, with many schools sidelining religion altogether in favour of topics such as exploring feelings, charity activities, visiting old people’s homes and even putting on Christmas pantomimes, it was claimed. "

" The regulator warned that its last report on the subject in 2010 found that “too many pupils were leaving school with a very limited understanding of Christianity” and the situation had failed to improve in the last three years.

Teaching about Christianity was inadequate – the lowest possible ranking – in a third of primary schools, making it “one of the weakest aspects of RE provision”.

In many cases, Christian stories, particularly miracles, were reduced to little more than asking pupils to “reflect on their own experience without any opportunity to investigate the stories’ significance within the religion itself”

Taken from here
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    Its about time as its not fair on the atheist kids or kids other religions .

abolish rules on Christian assemblies
    Those school governors who are objecting are welcome to move to a non Christian country that hold assemblies that cater for their religion.
    :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mind every week wed have to prey and sing bible tunes for an hour. Hated it :(
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    ecckles wrote: »
    Those school governors who are objecting are welcome to move to a non Christian country that hold assemblies that cater for their religion.
    :D

Why should they? As far as I'm concerned they're welcome to stay here and put forward their sensible views.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop the reiligious indocrination of children.
    Ban christmas and easter from schools and end the school holidays associated with them.

No Christmas? No Easter? Like it or not, they are integral to our culture. You make no mention of other religions. You would get rid of prayer msts for muslims, special diets and so on. Or is it only Christianity you hate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Surely if you send your kids to a CofE/ Catholic school, you have to expect some degree of religiosity?

Quite but the irony is this law on collective worship applies to NON Faith schools and not to Faith Schools.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    I am afraid you are mistaken;

'The most recent legal statement of the requirements for collective worship (as distinct from assembly) are contained in the School Standards and Framework Act 1998. These build on similar requirements in Section 346 of the Education Act 1996, the Education Reform Act 1988, and Section 25 of the 1944 Education Act, where the law on compulsory collective worship began. Section 70 of the 1998 Act states that, subject to the parental right of excusal or other special arrangements, “…each pupil in attendance at a community, foundation or voluntary school shall on each school day take part in an act of collective worship.”

And the BIB is where the wiggle room is - it doesn't have to be Christian, or even overtly religious, quiet reflection is fine. No hymns, no readings, no issue with Ofsted.

There was a LOT of discussion about it
  • Options
    Joseph_McDonaldJoseph_McDonald Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    But why are 'acts of collective worship' necessary in the first place? If parents want their kids to experience worship, they can go to a church or other place of worship. It shouldn't need to be done in schools.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    batgirl wrote: »
    The wording is that the worship should be wholly or mainly of a broadly Christian character, is it not? And even if we drop the Christian bit then a collective act of worship is still, undeniably I think, religious in nature.

No. We checked with the LEA, and the school has been Ofsted inspected at least 3 times since I was involved, and the lack of formal religion in assembly has never been an issue
  • Options
    johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I believe scripture encourages enclosed collective worship. It encourages spreading the gospel. Jesus also encourages children to come to him and not be hindered. I don't think he'd disagree with worship in assemblies.

I always assumed that was what those huge imposing moniliths and buildings, spread across every Hight Street in every town and village were for..no?
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always assumed that was what those huge imposing moniliths and buildings, spread across every Hight Street in every town and village were for..no?

You mean Churches? ;);)

Worship is not neccessarily exclusive to Churches
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But why are 'acts of collective worship' necessary in the first place? If parents want their kids to experience worship, they can go to a church or other place of worship. It shouldn't need to be done in schools.

Exactly. Though I don't see a valid reason to request that a child worship anything under any circumstances - not just in schools.
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    No Christmas? No Easter? Like it or not, they are integral to our culture. You make no mention of other religions. You would get rid of prayer msts for muslims, special diets and so on. Or is it only Christianity you hate.

don't think anyone would miss Easter and Xmas is just becoming a winter holiday/ end of year celebration with no religion involved for the vast majority of people. So it's time the whole Christian thing was ditched.
  • Options
    johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean Churches? ;);)

Worship is not neccessarily exclusive to Churches

You're absolutely right. Only not forced or compulsory worship.

On another note I've always had a problem with the word 'Worship', could never understand why an all powerful deity, that created the world, the universe and everything in it, would feel the need to be worshipped by us mere mortals...anyway, possibly a discussion for another day.
  • Options
    dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    don't think anyone would miss Easter and Xmas is just becoming a winter holiday/ end of year celebration with no religion involved for the vast majority of people. So it's time the whole Christian thing was ditched.
    my family have never ever done christmas or easter for anything religious only done it for the good fun side of the holidays.