• wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony has just said Judy Boucher had a number one:o:o

I'm positive she didn't!
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NO 2, and the song was Can't Be Without You Tonight, not Can't Be Without You Tonight.
    Good TOTP show. Not watched that one for awhile.
  • wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't this Shakin' Stevens tune a cover of a GG song?:blush:
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wckartist wrote: »
    Isn't this Shakin' Stevens tune a cover of a GG song?:blush:

I have looked it up on Google and yes it is, and the lyrics are positively pervy.

These songs all remind me of the summer holidays when I was 14.

I was in love with Yvonne Haslam but she didn't love me back :cry:
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear God - the Boogie Box High Bee Gees cover...
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »

Preferable to the original. I'm a massive Bee Gees fan but Jive Talkin' (whilst good in its own way) is not one of my favourites.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "It's A Sin" blasting out of the radio - how can anyone not like 1987?!! And followed by one of the all time best love songs ever, "Always".
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was disappointed with the earlier selections in the 1987 chart, but it definitely improved as it went on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »

Forgot about this version going to transfer it on I-pod later ,going to dig it out , what a great version!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "It's A Sin" blasting out of the radio - how can anyone not like 1987?!! And followed by one of the all time best love songs ever, "Always".

2 great songs, " Always" was a great end of the night song during my mobile-disco days!
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    NO 2, and the song was Can't Be Without You Tonight, not Can't Be Without You Tonight.
    Good TOTP show. Not watched that one for awhile.

Don't you mean 'Can't Be With You Tonight'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    Was disappointed with the earlier selections in the 1987 chart, but it definitely improved as it went on.

Not a patch on 1965.
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But how anyone can prefer it to 1965 is beyond me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The sad fact is that most of the posters on this thread can't relate to anything prior to about 1979. They probably think that they will turn to stone if they listen to a sixties chart.

In my opinion 1987 was one of the worst years ever for pop music. This was the year of the reissue, house, The Firm, S/A/W and a lot of synthesised junk.

One regular poster on here does a so called 'critique' of the late seventies and eighties charts. Usually her references comes from the BBC4 repeats of TOTPs. Hardly anyone posts about sixties charts. It is so sad that these people can't tell the difference between quality and cr*p.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    The sad fact is that most of the posters on this thread can't relate to anything prior to about 1979. They probably think that they will turn to stone if they listen to a sixties chart.

In my opinion 1987 was one of the worst years ever for pop music. This was the year of the reissue, house, The Firm, S/A/W and a lot of synthesised junk.

One regular poster on here does a so called 'critique' of the late seventies and eighties charts. Usually her references comes from the BBC4 repeats of TOTPs. Hardly anyone posts about sixties charts. It is so sad that these people can't tell the difference between quality and cr*p.

You are probably the rudest poster I have ever come across on Digital Spy. All you seem to do is to insult people whose musical taste is different from your own. IMO your own taste is pretty poor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That 1965 chart had a few good songs but also some very poor ones. To me it was very basic musically and 1987 showed that music had progressed. For me the best three songs played today all came from 1987, True Faith, It's A Sin and Always all far better than anything played from 1965. And the 1987 Number 1 was better than the 1965 one.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My 18th birthday was just a few weeks before this 1987 chart today. I cannot seriously relate to music first hand pre-1979 as you state like many maybe on here, but I fully agree with you about much of 1987. I didn't even bother to give '87 a listen today, didn't want too many rubbishy teen memories associated with some of those disappointing hits rekindled from that point in that summer. Compared to how I cannot get enough of the charts from just 3 or 4 years earlier, the decline by 1987 really disappoints me, and did so at the time when I was supposedly the ripe age for pop hits, but even then I knew some of the best times had passed and we were now in a downturn. I don't think there was even a million selling single between 1985 and 1991.

Nobody has mentioned that Boogie Box High was infact George Michael in disguise.

1987's Radio 1 Breakfast Show host at the time Mike Smith has died it was announced tonight. What a shock. A voice and face of the 80's if ever there was.

Your comment about ClareB's post was a bit harsh I may say David. We all have our own preferred pop music era's. Mine ended about 1987, but there was still plenty of great pop music after that year, just not so consistently so. I've 714 tracks from the 80's on iPod which drop massively to just 202 by the 90's., but doubles again since 2000.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    My 18th birthday was just a few weeks before this 1987 chart today. I cannot seriously relate to music pre-1979 as you state like many maybe on here, but I fully agree with you about much of 1987. I didn't even bother to give '87 a listen today, didn't want too many rubbishy teen memories associated with some of those disappointing hits rekindled from that point in that summer. Compared to how I cannot get enough of the charts from just 3 or 4 years earlier, the decline by 1987 really disappoints me, and did so at the time when I was supposedly the ripe age for pop hits, but even then I knew some of the best times had passed and we were now in a downturn. I don't think there was even a million selling single between 1985 and 1991.

Nobody has mentioned that Boogie Box High was infact George Michael in disguise.

1987's Radio 1 Breakfast Show host at the time Mike Smith has died it was announced tonight. What a shock. A voice and face of the 80's if ever there was.

Your loss. There were, granted, some poor songs from 1987 played today, but also some stonewall classics. This obsession about writing off whole years because people don't like particular songs / producers / genres beats me, but then maybe the people who do so are not really pop music fans in the first place.
  • JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member

Good grief you've got ten bob on yersen ant yer?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your loss. There were, granted, some poor songs from 1987 played today, but also some stonewall classics. This obsession about writing off whole years because people don't like particular songs / producers / genres beats me, but then maybe the people who do so are not really pop music fans in the first place.
    You almost sound personally offended by my less than favourable opinion on 1987. Please don't be. Much of that Top 20 is pitiful in my opinion. One of Madonna's worst ever singles, a terrible Bruce Willis cover, what I considered at that time to be the worst Bond theme by A-ha, although there have been worse since. Although the top five was the strongest part of that chart, and I agree with you that both Heart and Atlantic Starr are reasonable memorable classics, and It's A Sin is the Pet Shop Boys at their best. Just gazing down the chart I noticed Kenny G's Songbird which I lay in bed listening to during just this week infact, a nice dreamy late night piece of sax.

Far too many re-hashes of tracks, and although the La Bamba track is okay for what it is, and came from one of the films of that summer, it is still an almost 30 year old piece of music. The Richie Valens original was down at No70 in the same chart. There was even a Jackie Wilson hit in the '87 chart that was top twenty the week I was born, not content with Reet Petite the previous Christmas they kept his old singles coming.

Michael Barrymore was at No92 with something called Doin' The Crab. No, I've no memory of "doin' the crab" either! It just failed to be a proper hit peaking at 81 the week before. :p
    Forum Member
    Looking at the TOTP website looks like i've missed some belters today

Hollies, Dusty, Animals, Fortunes, Byrds, Beatles from 65

New Order, a-Ha, Hue & Cry (standout of the whole show), Shaky, TTD, Bruce Willis, Heart, Pet Shopb Boys from 87

the standouts,
    Forum Member
    Kenny G ? :o:o:D

I genuinely love your squareness Rich:D:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JBO wrote: »

Eh, eh, eh! Me square? Ahem, you just picked out Shaky as one of your standouts! Much as I like a lot of his earlier stuff, like Oh Julie for example, by '87 the hits were starting to drift lower and this was a ten year old Gary Glitter cover version and not his finest hour hitwise. They actually showed GG doing the original on TOTP 1977 2 years ago, you may recall seeing it then possibly.

I've never liked True Faith by New Order, never understood the appeal of it. Yet I loved earlier hits, such as Thieves Like Us, and later ones such as Regret. But True Faith, no I hate it.

Wasn't so keen on the Kenny G track at the time, I've liked it more in recent years.

I was only thinking about this in the week, that maybe we should all put our iPods/mp3's on shuffle and then publish here the first 50 songs that come out from our full collections. That will be a good judge of squareness or hipness, and the kind of era's of music we like most. The shuffle never fibs! Not that those traits have ever mattered to me. I'll like what I like, regardless of what others think. Quite happy to rubbish a popular track I dislike and praise an unfancied one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    You almost sound personally offended by my less than favourable opinion on 1987. Please don't be. Much of that Top 20 is pitiful in my opinion. One of Madonna's worst ever singles, a terrible Bruce Willis cover, what I considered at that time to be the worst Bond theme by A-ha, although there have been worse since. Although the top five was the strongest part of that chart, and I agree with you that both Heart and Atlantic Starr are reasonable memorable classics, and It's A Sin is the Pet Shop Boys at their best. Just gazing down the chart I noticed Kenny G's Songbird which I lay in bed listening to during just this week infact, a nice dreamy late night piece of sax.

Far too many re-hashes of tracks, and although the La Bamba track is okay for what it is, and came from one of the films of that summer, it is still an almost 30 year old piece of music. The Richie Valens original was down at No70 in the same chart. There was even a Jackie Wilson hit in the '87 chart that was top twenty the week I was born, not content with Reet Petite the previous Christmas they kept his old singles coming.

Michael Barrymore was at No92 with something called Doin' The Crab. No, I've no memory of "doin' the crab" either! It just failed to be a proper hit peaking at 81 the week before. :p

No, not personally offended. I just don't understand how people can write off whole years because they don't like certain songs. But even you have now admitted that you like some of the tracks from this week in 1987 which kind of proves my point! (As for Jackie Wilson it was obvious that the record company would re- release other hit singles of his following his superb 1986 Christmas Number 1 - it's called business.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JBO wrote: »

Agree that RT is a square, but got to give him credit for this, that Kenny G track is a fine piece of music.