How soon can you switch over a current account after opening it?

yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is there some sort of rule on this? or can I switchover whenever?

another thing I wanted to ask is, specific santander, can you hold both a student account and a 123 current account from them?

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    What do you mean by "switch over"?
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yesman2012 wrote: »
    Is there some sort of rule on this? or can I switchover whenever?

Depends if cash tempters came along with the current account .Presuming yes, there will be T&Cs .Suggest you get off your butt and read em :)
  • yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    What do you mean by "switch over"?

i.e. you close your account and switch it across to another bank
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure you can't have a current and student account at the same time with the same bank, or so i was informed by BOS, years ago when I wanted to open another account or when attempting to leave them.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can switch at any time. The switch is executed by the new bank under 7 Day Current Account Switching rules.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    You can switch at any time. The switch is executed by the new bank under 7 Day Current Account Switching rules.

Of course you can - tho if OP got cash incentives to open the account he would almost certainly have to give it back .He just has to read Ts & C s - it's very simple
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    It is very common for people to have their own current account, a second joint current account with their significant other and yet another business current account. Why do people think there are restrictions on how many accounts you can have?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    Of course you can - tho if OP got cash incentives to open the account he would almost certainly have to give it back .He just has to read Ts & C s - it's very simple

Yeah thats expected, but I don't care about that, I just want to be able to switch over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you can't have a current and student account at the same time with the same bank, or so i was informed by BOS, years ago when I wanted to open another account or when attempting to leave them.
    It is very common for people to have their own current account, a second joint current account with their significant other and yet another business current account. Why do people think there are restrictions on how many accounts you can have?

:confused:
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can tell you categorically why I couldn't have a student account and current account at the same bank ,BOS, because they TOLD me it's not their policy and that most banks would be the same, having multiple CURRENT accounts is one thing.... Student accounts are different, they have perks including free overdrafts etc and I was unable to have an active student and current account with the same bank, I had savings and student account but NOT student AND current account...

So to OP, just ask your branch if they'll let you, it might have changed in recent years, I can only comment on my experience from my bank at that time.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »

There are time limits though. For example, Halifax specify within 30 days of the new account being opened and Santander say 60 days.