Options

Sky Atlantic

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,633
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So anyone got a heads up on any of the series starting on Atlantic that should be recorded on a series link.

Comments

• Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Blue Bloods and Boardwalk Empire.

Well I would be series linking these two if Sky was not keeping it as an Exclusive :mad::(:mad::(:mad::(
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couple hours a day of decent programming hardly seems worth starting a new channel for. Rest of the time it’s chocka with ancient repeats!

Uncle Rupert is having a larf.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue Bloods - very good, but with a few tweaks it could be excellent. Needs some more ongoing plot arcs and less reliance on everyone in the family coincidently being involved in every case and everything being nicely wrapped up in time for dinner.

Boardwalk Empire - takes quite a lot of effort to watch as there is a large cast and a lot stuff going on even though it can appear quite slow at times. Everything about the production is quality.

Treme - Set in New Orleans post-Katrina. looks interesting but I was unable to really get into it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    I thought Boardwalk Empire was awesome, beautifully shot with fantastic performances.

Blue Bloods is very good with the potential to be great.

I see they're starting The X-Files from the beginning too. I'd be interested to go back and see how it holds up today.
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Couple hours a day of decent programming hardly seems worth starting a new channel for. Rest of the time it’s chocka with ancient repeats!

Some channels would kill for a couple of hours of decent output a day - especially if those shows are on in the best paying ad slots.

It is less that they could not have placed these shows on existing channels and more that a new channel lets them have more shows on at 9-11pm weeknights.
  • Options
    ZogZog Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they are also repeating "Thirtysomething"... Like X-Files it will be interesting to see if it's still watchable.

And I'll also be series linking Curb Your Enthusiasm. One of those series that I was recommended about 3 or 4 series in, but then avoided watching as I waited for it to be shown from the start, or like The Sopranos, waited for the boxset to be available at an affordable price. Neither of which happened.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant wait for this to start, showing so many great shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    Some channels would kill for a couple of hours of decent output a day - especially if those shows are on in the best paying ad slots.

It’s clearly a vanity showcase for HBO and probably one of the key factors that swung the deal for Sky but it’s ludicrous to look down the listings of this supposedly prestige channel and see Star Trek Voyager repeats!

Thanks Uncle Rupert for lessening the pain of waiting for the Boardwalk Empire DVDs. For a minute back there I thought I was actually missing out on a decent channel.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to Game Of Thrones, when the series starts in April and also Boardwalk Empire among alot more.
    Ian.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's pretty much what TV is like in the US. Good stuff between 9-11pm and trash for the rest of the day.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    That's pretty much what TV is like in the US. Good stuff between 9-11pm and trash for the rest of the day.
    I think the majority of programes are good and their are a number of daytime programes i never saw and i will be able to watch them from the start. My recordings on my HD Box will be working overtime.
    Ian.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yeah pure evil really a free new channel with top quality content.

sorry but when compared to say itv the channel is on top with ease, itv barely have 30mins a day worth watching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

sorry but when compared to say itv the channel is on top with ease, itv barely have 30mins a day worth watching.

Advertising a new channel as if it’s The Second Coming then once the full schedule is revealed it transpires it’s 90% ancient repeats strikes me as pretty ridiculous.

I don’t see the comparison with ITV. You might not like what they do. I might not like what they do (and I don’t) but they easily have more original first-run programming on just their main channel every single day than do Sky Atlantic and most of it they’ll have made themselves, not just bought-in.

Sight unseen I’m not saying that Blue Bloods, Boardwalk Empire etc. are crap, just that starting a new channel for them is akin to giving a nice watch to someone as a present but packaging it in a HUUUUUGE box, most of what’s inside being padding that they’ll tear through to get to the item of value.
  • Options
    will2510will2510 Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any chance of the channel showing "Oz"?
  • Options
    currykevcurrykev Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Sky TV. What else do you expect?
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    Advertising a new channel as if it’s The Second Coming then once the full schedule is revealed it transpires it’s 90% ancient repeats strikes me as pretty ridiculous..

Yes from the advertising on Sky you would think Sky Atlantic is the biggest new channel since the start of BBC1 and ITV!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got to agree with Strraker and JEFF62. The channel is being advertised in every break on most satellite and cable channels. I was expecting a brand new channel full of brand new programmes:(:(
  • Options
    BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member

Its not free.

You have to pay the basic Sky subscrition to get it.

It would only be free it it was part of the free to air group of channels.
  • Options
    Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It reminds me of a channel launch, from years gone by ie. the old analogue days.

Since Sky Digital launched, the novelty had worn off from new channels launching.

But it's good to see they are going back to basics a bit, and opting for quality over quantity.

It is free for all Sky customers, even on the very basic package. Some of the programmes look pretty top-notch. I think Sky is really coming back, after years of mediocrity.

I've been with Sky for nearly 20 years, and for the first time in a long time, I feel happy with it. The movies are better, the programming better, the customer service (from recent experience) has improved a lot. It's all good - although they need to review the £10.25 for HD. Maybe £5 would be a bit more reasonable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Advertising a new channel as if it’s The Second Coming then once the full schedule is revealed it transpires it’s 90% ancient repeats strikes me as pretty ridiculous.

I don’t see the comparison with ITV. You might not like what they do. I might not like what they do (and I don’t) but they easily have more original first-run programming on just their main channel every single day than do Sky Atlantic and most of it they’ll have made themselves, not just bought-in.

Sight unseen I’m not saying that Blue Bloods, Boardwalk Empire etc. are crap, just that starting a new channel for them is akin to giving a nice watch to someone as a present but packaging it in a HUUUUUGE box, most of what’s inside being padding that they’ll tear through to get to the item of value.

i can kind of see your point but most digital channels feature repeats and when compared to sky ones out put or livings it fits a similar model.

plus some people might of missed one or two of the shows there repeating plus some of there shows will get to new episodes.

but if youre saying you rather see them produce crap (like itv) just as long as its new then it doesnt really make sense.
    Barbella wrote: »
    Its not free.

You have to pay the basic Sky subscrition to get it.

It would only be free it it was part of the free to air group of channels.

well it is prefixed with the word sky ;)
    but to me its free as i dont have to pay any extra to get it.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stories....? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i can kind of see your point but most digital channels feature repeats and when compared to sky ones out put or livings it fits a similar model.

I don’t see that much to celebrate in a supposed new channel that fills over 20 hours a day of it’s output with repeats of X-Files, ER, 24, Star Trek Voyager etc.

There are as yet undiscovered Amazonian tribes that do not even know what a television is that have seen every episode of all those shows!
    plus some people might of missed one or two of the shows there repeating plus some of there shows will get to new episodes.

Which would be fine if they weren’t publicising it like they are. Should be done for false advertising IMO.
    but if youre saying you rather see them produce crap (like itv) just as long as its new then it doesnt really make sense.

You might like something I don’t and vice versa. Does that automatically make it “crap” and easily dismissed? I daresay some of ITV1’s lower rated shows will get more viewers than even Boardwalk Empire and as it’s impossible to arbitrate taste who’s to say one channel is doing a better job than the other in catering to it’s audiences needs?

Sky have scored an own goal with this channel I reckon. I was aghast when I first clapped eyes on the full listings and that massive chasm between expectation and actuality was entirely down to Sky’s own arrogance in starting a new 24 hour channel merely to show off a couple hours of programming and then going on to advertise it like God himself had personally endorsed Uncle Rupert’s folly.

Now Sky Arts 1&2....There are two channels that they should promote more. I cry inside every time I read their listings, so packed with good stuff are they but I, as a Freeviewer, am locked out of seeing them. Curse you Uncle Rupert!!!!
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now Sky Arts 1&2....There are two channels that they should promote more.

They moved to the Variety pack today so now even more can watch them.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I was aghast when I first clapped eyes on the full listings and that massive chasm between expectation and actuality was entirely down to Sky’s own arrogance in starting a new 24 hour channel merely to show off a couple hours of programming and then going on to advertise it like God himself had personally endorsed Uncle Rupert’s folly.

There are 24 hours in a day and only THREE of them are "prime viewing hours." There is no reason why the other 21 hours should have anything but filler -- and that is exactly what the other channels have in those off-peak hours. It seems to me that when it comes to what you call the "chasm between expectation and actuality," the fault lies in your expectation, not the new channel's actuality.
  • Options
    listerlister Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not just the programmes that they are showing on initial launch, but the potential for the programming in the future that will make this channel great to watch.

The fact that there's many genre's that HBO covers as well - Drama, War, Documentaries, Comedy etc.

I have no problem with Sky Atlantic repeating shows from the late 90's and 00's, hell the BBC are wasting the license fee repeating shows from the 60's, 70's etc.