Options

Is Topgear Coming to an End?

AlexbloggerAlexblogger Posts: 91
Forum Member
After watching this entire series and the second Burma Special... I've come to the conclusion that the show i once loved is truly on it's arse.

Do you think this is the end?

The Chernobyl episode was probably the weirdest, all it featured was them driving endlessly for 40+ mins.

Comments

• Options
    steve16steve16 Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's brilliant.

"The Bridge Over The River Kok". Genius.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know i want a stiff black kok after watching it it's been brilliant
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am inclined to agree with you I still have the last 4 episodes on my sky box to watch just don't seem in any rush to watch it, where as a few years ago it must see tv
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave up on it a few years ago, but I know where you're coming from OP. It just feels tired now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not - one series a year is just right these days - the Chernobyl episode was excellent...if you notice they do tend to go to places with political issues...subtely highlighting issues and winking that they do actually think about issues but do it in a way that most people do not notice and to keep up the appearance that they just mess about...it is basically Last Of the Summerwine with Cars. It is a bit of fluff and fun - as has been seen by their other shows Clarkson and May are excellent broadcasters with great ideas and Hammond does what he does...he knows he isn't a great broadcaster and fills a niche but he fits into the trio perfectly and it wouldn't be the same without him.

Four or five episodes a year...people still enjoy it...it still makes more than it costs...if you don't like it any more just don't watch it...cliched comment but true...
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...asked DigitalSpy every series.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    I love TG but I do agree the last few series now have been "yeahyeah seen it before"

Its still watchable but is a bit long in the tooth.

Clarkson pisses me off now too. His views are a bit like UKIP... Annoyingly misguided, yet numb nuts still follow and luck his arse.
  • Options
    WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this series has actually been a great improvement on the last couple, enjoyable to watch once again
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's as good as ever, so I hope it continues for a long time to come.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    If it's the only way to see scenery like they showed tonight, I don't care what they get up to.

Much more fun than watching a bog standard travel documentary.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't bother me if it did, haven't watched it in a decade or so.
    There's something sad about three long-haired middle-aged men, in jeans for cryin' out loud, trying to sound and look "cool."
    It ain't workin'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People say this every series. No its not, its still the BBC's most profitable show, its still loved by a lot of people. Its not going anywhere, and its not going to become anymore serious. If you don't like it anymore, don't watch.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    It isn't as good as it used to be years ago, running rather dry I think. Though I still watch it, though not bothered to watch tonight's episode yet.

BBC won't scrap it because it sells overseas and brings in money. :)
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a well worn predictable format but as the saying goes, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' and as yet it's not entirely broke. Clarkson struck gold when he found someone would actually pay him 'silly money' for fooling around and playing with very expensive cars.

Beats working for a living! :D
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clarkson is a waste of space.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trying to sound and look "cool."
    Even the idea they are doing anything like trying to look 'cool' is laughable beyond the bounds of reason. if anything, they're doing exactly the opposite.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is a superbly entertaining, challenging and informative piece of television hosted by three of the country's greatest broadcasting ambassadors.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should be pilloried and mocked for the po faced fun police they obviously are.

I hope it runs and runs until Clarkson is in a Zimmer frame.
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I think it is a superbly entertaining, challenging and informative piece of television hosted by three of the country's greatest broadcasting ambassadors.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should be pilloried and mocked for the po faced fun police they obviously are.

Agree,still good entertainment and the scenery in yesterdays episode was breathtaking.Am on the wrong side of 65 and still wear jeans,so carry on lads.
  • Options
    spectraspectra Posts: 2,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »

yea! finally a thread for you. Now you can really let go and amaze us with your witty scathing posts

You do need to understand though that if someone disagrees with your hatred of something that does not mean that they are in love with it. You don't seem to have learned this no matter how many times it was pointed out to you in the TG thread. Either too slow to pick up on things you do not agree with or just unable to back down.

Enjoy the thread, happy for you.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »

Why? He can be irritating at times but he makes a lot of programmes that many people enjoy and brings a lot of money into the UK and to the BBC through programme sales. Why is he any more 'a waste of space' than anyone else in the entertainment industry and what have you achieved in your life or you also a waste of space?
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »

Clarkson is very clever and has made a lot of money out of it.

He is playing to the gallery, a caracature of himself on TV. He knows what to say, when to say it, and which buttons to press, to get a reaction; something he does perfectly as your post shows.

The WW II documentaries he has presented, such as the recent one about the Arctic Convoys, are much closer to the "real" Jeremy Clarkson".
  • Options
    WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From Clarkson's Twitter:

''Holy Moly. Just seen the audience numbers for last night's show. Peaked at 6.5m. Not bad for a BBC2 show, on its 21st series.''

''More news. This has been our highest rated series for many years. Going well abroad too. Looks like there's life in the old dog yet.''

''With repeats and iPlayer viewings, we've done over 10m a week in the UK alone. Still the most watched factual show....in the world.''

So, addressing the original question and thread title: No.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After watching this entire series and the second Burma Special... I've come to the conclusion that the show i once loved is truly on it's arse.

Do you think this is the end?

The Chernobyl episode was probably the weirdest, all it featured was them driving endlessly for 40+ mins.
    Based on what? I know this comes as a shocking revelation to many people, but a show isn't on the cusp of being cancelled just because one person doesn't like it anymore. Had you posted viewing or overseas sales figures that showed a consistent fall over several years, you might have been onto something. If we're going by an individual's enjoyment level, I confidently predict it's nowhere near the end and will keep going until the lads themselves call it quits.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Even the idea they are doing anything like trying to look 'cool' is laughable beyond the bounds of reason. if anything, they're doing exactly the opposite.
    This^^^^^^
    Its like Doghouse is watching another prog.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh FFS.

Congratulations, you have just won the prize for the most original post on Digital Spy. To collect your prize, please stand in the outside lane of the M6 at midnight while wearing all-black clothing.

This is a new low even for DSF, telling someone to kill themselves!