Forum Member
Id love it to be amazing and think it could be

your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,332
    Forum Member
    Director Colin Trevorrow clears a few things up:
    "This film picks up twenty-two years after Jurassic Park. When Derek [Connolly] and I sat down to find the movie, we looked at the past two decades and talked about what we've seen. Two things came to the surface.

One was that money has been the gasoline in the engine of our biggest mistakes. If there are billions to be made, no one can resist them, even if they know things could end horribly.

The other was that our relationship with technology has become so woven into our daily lives, we've become numb to the scientific miracles around us. We take so much for granted.

Those two ideas felt like they could work together. What if, despite previous disasters, they built a new biological preserve where you could see dinosaurs walk the earth…and what if people were already kind of over it? We imagined a teenager texting his girlfriend with his back to a T-Rex behind protective glass. For us, that image captured the way much of the audience feels about the movies themselves. 'We've seen CG dinosaurs. What else you got?' Next year, you'll see our answer."

Full article: http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/director-colin-trevorrow-confirms-major-jurassic-world-plot-details/

Doesn't sound too bad to be fair.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,234
    Forum Member
    Director Colin Trevorrow clears a few things up:

Full article: http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/director-colin-trevorrow-confirms-major-jurassic-world-plot-details/

Doesn't sound too bad to be fair.

True it does sound pretty good :)
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,496
    Forum Member
    Id love it to be amazing and think it could be

your thoughts?

Oh, it'll be all ooh-ing and ah-ing, but later there'll be running, and screaming.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care how good it looks on paper (and it does), it's directed by a bloke called Colin and written and produced by a bloke called Derek. 'Nuff said.

;-)
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, it'll be all ooh-ing and ah-ing, but later there'll be running, and screaming.

:D

I love Ian Malcolm, I wish he was back.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I have to admit that even if it turns out awful, I have immensely enjoyed all of the Ian Malcolm quotes that people have worked into online discussion about the movie! :D I've been fairly guilty of following the news on the film with a Goldblum-approach to things myself :p

Steven Spielberg announces new Jurassic Park film despite the passing of Michael Crichton...
    "You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it".

In 2013 Universal confirms Jurassic Park 4 to be released in 2014!
    "You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now...YOU WANT TO SELL IT. WELL YOU'RE SELLING IT".

Jurassic Park 4 gets retitled to Jurassic World...
    "That is one big pile of sh*t".

Jurassic World gets a sexy new logo...
    "You did it. You crazy son of a b*tch, you did it"

Despite entering production, delays mean the film isn't getting made...
    "Now eventually, you might make Jurassic World during Jurassic World production, right?"

Jurassic World gets delayed from 2014 to 2015....
    "Must go faster"

...It is announced a week later that Pirates of the Caribbean 5 is delayed until 2016.
    "Yes but when Pirates of the Caribbean is delayed, Johnny Depp doesn't eat the tourists" ;-)

Despite some promising bits of concept art, it emerges they're going with a dinosaur hybrid story...
    "Ooh, ahh, that's how it always starts. But then later there's the running. And screaming".

But seriously, I am actually really looking forward to this. As much as I love Sam Neill, Laura Dern and Jeff Goldblum it is terribly unrealistic of them to be involved in this one. It's time that someone had the bold idea of trying to come up with new characters we can hopefully enjoy in the series. We do of course have the one character from the original movie making a comeback too, and as unlikely as it is I would love a small cameo from Richard Attenborough as the totally-insane-but-love-him-anyway-grandad-who-makes-dinosaurs John Hammond :D He adds such a presence to the original, and the second one in his brief role, and he surprisingly doesn't actually look like he's aged too much either - not that that would matter.

They seem to be doing okay with the story, wisely opting to go back to the first island and also wisely setting up a new theme park meaning we don't have to deal with another traipse-through-jungle story. How we'll avoid that for the planned Jurassic World sequel/Jurassic Park 5 I have no idea, but apparently this film sets up such a premise.
    I have hated the idea of a hybrid dinosaur storyline for ages (dinosaurs are awesome already, they don't need extra features!) but they even seem to be dealing with that very well...ensuring the dinosaur elements are kept realistic and posing some interesting moral/scientific questions (the first time Jurassic Park has been remotely morally intelligent since the original!).
    The cast all seem competent and even the child actors are very decent. The director seems to love the franchise and is looking after it well behind-the-scenes.

I've actually got really high hopes for this movie, and so long as it doesn't descend into a CGI fest those are expectations that could actually be met :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    love the series. all of the effects are holding up extremely well and hope number 4 follows suit. the only thing that has me slightly nervous is the 'hybrid' dinosaur thing. Not sure how well they will pull it off. Personally I just want to see a T-Rex get revenge on the Spinosaurus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    love the series. all of the effects are holding up extremely well and hope number 4 follows suit. the only thing that has me slightly nervous is the 'hybrid' dinosaur thing. Not sure how well they will pull it off. Personally I just want to see a T-Rex get revenge on the Spinosaurus.
    Given how the Spinosaurus was so unrealistically more brutal than T-rex it would be a nice nod to Jurassic Park 3 (perhaps giving the film a wider role in the series) if the new film suggested that the Spinosaurus on Isla Sorna (the second island) was a prototype for the hybrid dinosaurs that the company was engineering.

There was that brief exchange in JP3 between Billy and Alan Grant where Billy says he can't remember Spinosaurus being on Ingen's list to which Alan replies "Thats because it wasn't on their list, and it makes you wonder what else they were up to"...kind of eerie and ominous line that could tie in with Jurassic World perhaps? :)
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JP1 is one if my favourite films, I watched it on DVD Saturday night. The films after were not quite as good however JW has been in the making now for what 10 years? I hope it's good, I will go and see it when it's released
  • Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's gonna be set on Nublar isn't it? I can't wait to revisit the ol' Park :D
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I have been looking forward to this film since it was announced and the more I hear about it the better it sounds!
  • Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably the most excited I've about a film for years.

The original is excellent and I also like JP3 - not too keen on the second one, was very messy and silly.

Everything sounds great so far on Jurassic World but we'll have to wait and see. I like the idea above about bringing in the Spinosaurus as a hybrid.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that JP1 worked because it wasn't about dinosaurs, they were just there.

Just as E.T. worked because it wasn't about aliens, and Jaws wasn't about sharks.

These were films about people, and were very grown up in that sense.

I very much doubt Jurassic World is going to be about people, and it'll probably be fairly juvenile as well. Like all hollywood films these days, hence the declining audiences in the USA.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Probably the most excited I've about a film for years.

The original is excellent and I also like JP3 - not too keen on the second one, was very messy and silly.

Everything sounds great so far on Jurassic World but we'll have to wait and see. I like the idea above about bringing in the Spinosaurus as a hybrid.

I never know whether I like JP3 or not, I do not believe Joe Johnston is great at directing action sequences (Captain America, Jumanji).

I watched the nostalgia critic's recap recently and he's right, the whole film is just a checklist of what you expect to see in a Jurassic Park film, in no particular order. And the ending is terrifying, why is the movie trying to show it as a good thing that those winged human-eating beasts are migrating?

I don't think it's a bad film, but I certainly expect better for this next one.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    As excellent as Jurassic Park is, both the Michael Crichton novel and the Spielberg movie adaptation, the story dealt with the park going wrong before it was full of guests. I think it will be a novel approach to have this story where the park has been opened for some time, and is full of visitors when it all goes disastrously wrong. I want to see dinosaurs eating the guests. It could be brilliant, or it could be Jaws 3 meets Valley of the Gwangi. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    As excellent as Jurassic Park is, both the Michael Crichton novel and the Spielberg movie adaptation, the story dealt with the park going wrong before it was full of guests. I think it will be a novel approach to have this story where the park has been opened for some time, and is full of visitors when it all goes disastrously wrong. I want to see dinosaurs eating the guests. It could be brilliant, or it could be Jaws 3 meets Valley of the Gwangi. :D

They're already contemplating a Jurassic Park 5, or whatever it would be called - they've said that some characters are being set-up for multiple appearances and so on.

I just hope they don't write themselves into a corner. Jurassic Park is a tricky thing to write sequels for - there's only so many times you can put people in peril against dinosaurs before you end up suspending all realism over the same mistakes being made over and over. They'll need to be clever about this if they want the film and the franchise it is a part of to have any longevity.

So far, I'm impressed with what's being done :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    https://s2.yimg.com/cd/resizer/FIT_TO_WIDTH-w499/01c4acf846ae777adc1053a24f081229e1eab26f.jpg

New poster for Jurassic World, I think it's brilliantly done - quite in the style of posters for the original film.

Also note that Car 04 was the one that the T-Rex attacked in the original. It was left overturned beneath a tree, and had a tyre missing which the T-Rex chewed off. I wonder if we'll see it again as a nice little nod? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That car just reminds me that I doubt they'll ever beat the T-rex scene from the first movie. The build up, the appearance and the pay off. Looking back on the first film, there was a lot of corny, contrived stuff going on, but some of what it did was brilliant blockbuster cinema.