Comments

• Options
    Daily LivingDaily Living Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    kinda getting off the Red topic, but...
    I marathoned s1 (~23eps!!)of Young Justice and had a great time
    Dexter, Life and The Walking Dead are just a few shows that had me within the first 5mins
    Heroes - hated first ep, months later tried again, made it thru to ep2, loved it and stuck with it till the end.
    Haven - hated the pilot, hated the girl, never returned, later watched the s1 finale just cos someone was guest starring (what WAS i thinking, who would do that, what a fool you might think), the last bit was enough of a OMGWTF to get me to watch all that had gone before and I was a fan ever since. :)
    Warehouse 13 - hated the early eps, the dynamic between the two leads was "yawn, see this over and over and over again, blahdeeblahblahblah", but the introduction of the new tech person (are we detecting a pattern here?!) made everything click into place and I'm counting down the days until the 1/2half of S4.

OMG - Heroes! So awesome! From start to finish! Can't believe its gone...:cry:! Yes, The Walking Dead is brilliant isn't it!
  • Options
    Daily LivingDaily Living Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (I'm from the UK) I've just found "Red Parts 1 and 2" on a free to watch website. I'm going to watch them both NOW! Can't wait! Anyone wants the website, I'll PM you if you'd like. :D

I appreciate I'm probably being slow and most of you from the UK have already watched it but oh well! :):p
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, NCIS: Red is different from the other two in that it follows a mobile team of agents who are forced to live and work together as they crisscross the country solving crimes. So, mobile agents being the difference! This looks very exciting, and interesting! I can't wait for this show even more now!

Channel 5: Pick this show up. Now. :D

Thanks for the link, Schmiznurf!

Mobile? But the normal NCIS team seem to get around the country (and others) with no trouble. :confused:
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SXTony wrote: »
    Mobile? But the normal NCIS team seem to get around the country (and others) with no trouble. :confused:

ssssshhhhh!!! methinks the ptb are hoping no-one realizes this. :p
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member

They do travel but only down the Eastern seaboard around Virginia. You don't see them in Chicago or NY say.

I suppose a mobile unit can pick and chose location.

Criminal Minds is similar idea as they over whole country.
  • Options
    Jimmy SkitzJimmy Skitz Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red1 is showing as I type on Sky1 here, does anyone know what UK channel will carry the series, Fox maybe as they have the original or Sky1 again being the most likely??

EDIT: isn't Scott Grimes the 1st person to play 2 different characters in the NCIS universe?
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Well I just watched Part 1. I liked it, but then I'll watch anything with Kim Raver in it :D

Is it just me or were their trucks more than a little TARDIS-like? :confused: No way they should be that big on the inside looking at them from the outside :eek:
  • Options
    jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow didn't realise it was a precursor to a brand new show as I never properly watched the original NCIS and didn't realise that ep 1 NCIS LA wasn't the pilot as sky one only ever go back to that during repeats so in the pilot is that where Callan gets shot as ep 1 starts after that because I never watched it first time around only got into during recent repeats. One other thing when is it scheduled to start on sky.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jedi matt wrote: »
    Wow didn't realise it was a precursor to a brand new show as I never properly watched the original NCIS and didn't realise that ep 1 NCIS LA wasn't the pilot as sky one only ever go back to that during repeats so in the pilot is that where Callan gets shot as ep 1 starts after that because I never watched it first time around only got into during recent repeats. One other thing when is it scheduled to start on sky.

Yes Callan got shot (multiple times, to the extent where its a miracle he survived to be honest!) in the ‘pilot’ of NCIS:LA. The first ‘real’ episode of NCIS:LA is where we see Callan returning to work.
    Basically, NCIS:LA was ‘launched’ or ‘piloted’ as two regular episodes of NCIS. These two episodes, effectively the NCIS:LA pilot, have been aired on Fox and Channel 5 as they hold the rights to NCIS. Sky 1 have never aired these episodes and never will unless they buy the rights to NCIS.

Now its exactly the same with NCIS:Red. The two ‘pilot’ episodes are currently airing on Sky 1 as regular NCIS:LA episodes. If another channel (not Sky) buys the rights to NCIS:Red then these episodes will not be included in the first NCIS:Red season.

Who will buy NCIS:Red? To be honest that’s a good question. Due to the success NCIS has on Fox and Channel 5 both were interested in NCIS:LA when it was being shopped around, but Sky also know how successful NCIS was for those other channels and paid a phenomenal amount for the exclusive NCIS:LA rights. To be honest I’m not sure NCIS:LA’s performance on Sky has justified the price they paid for it, it does well but I suspect they were hoping for better given the price tag. So my guess would be Sky might be interested in NCIS:Red, but I can’t see them putting up a massive fight for it if Fox or Channel 5 step up.

On the subject of when different programmes ‘cross over’ onto each other and they aren’t aired on the same channels over here, the most interesting example I can think of is when CSI and Without a Trace did a cross over episode. CSI was being aired on Channel 5 and Without a Trace was being aired on More4, not in synchronisation. When More4 came to the cross over episode of Without a Trace they also aired the episode of CSI, the only time CSI has ever aired on Channel 4/More4. And when Channel 5 came to the crossover episode of CSI they aired Without a Trace, but only on Five USA, again the only time Without a Trace has aired on Channel 5/Five USA. Just a bit of additional geeky information.
    :)
  • Options
    jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Yes Callan got shot (multiple times, to the extent where its a miracle he survived to be honest!) in the ‘pilot’ of NCIS:LA. The first ‘real’ episode of NCIS:LA is where we see Callan returning to work.
    Basically, NCIS:LA was ‘launched’ or ‘piloted’ as two regular episodes of NCIS. These two episodes, effectively the NCIS:LA pilot, have been aired on Fox and Channel 5 as they hold the rights to NCIS. Sky 1 have never aired these episodes and never will unless they buy the rights to NCIS.

Now its exactly the same with NCIS:Red. The two ‘pilot’ episodes are currently airing on Sky 1 as regular NCIS:LA episodes. If another channel (not Sky) buys the rights to NCIS:Red then these episodes will not be included in the first NCIS:Red season.

Who will buy NCIS:Red? To be honest that’s a good question. Due to the success NCIS has on Fox and Channel 5 both were interested in NCIS:LA when it was being shopped around, but Sky also know how successful NCIS was for those other channels and paid a phenomenal amount for the exclusive NCIS:LA rights. To be honest I’m not sure NCIS:LA’s performance on Sky has justified the price they paid for it, it does well but I suspect they were hoping for better given the price tag. So my guess would be Sky might be interested in NCIS:Red, but I can’t see them putting up a massive fight for it if Fox or Channel 5 step up.

On the subject of when different programmes ‘cross over’ onto each other and they aren’t aired on the same channels over here, the most interesting example I can think of is when CSI and Without a Trace did a cross over episode. CSI was being aired on Channel 5 and Without a Trace was being aired on More4, not in synchronisation. When More4 came to the cross over episode of Without a Trace they also aired the episode of CSI, the only time CSI has ever aired on Channel 4/More4. And when Channel 5 came to the crossover episode of CSI they aired Without a Trace, but only on Five USA, again the only time Without a Trace has aired on Channel 5/Five USA. Just a bit of additional geeky information.
    :)

Thanks for the heads up I already have the original NCIS set up in never miss for when it gets back to ep 1 and will have to keep an eye out for when red starts getting season 1 listed on it as sometimes never miss can never find something because of the way it's spelt as I think Skeats is going to be my favourite character because she's hot. By the way it's Kensi in NCIS LA who I like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »

I think they call that a "Backdoor pilot". They did the same with NCIS itself by introducing it in JAG and featured Gibbs, DiNozo and Ducky.
    jedi matt wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up I already have the original NCIS set up in never miss for when it gets back to ep 1 and will have to keep an eye out for when red starts getting season 1 listed on it as sometimes never miss can never find something because of the way it's spelt as I think Skeats is going to be my favourite character because she's hot. By the way it's Kensi in NCIS LA who I like.

I don't like Kensi. She has a funny eye and it freaks me out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think they call that a "Backdoor pilot". They did the same with NCIS itself by introducing it in JAG and featured Gibbs, DiNozo and Ducky.

That "pilot" was very different to NCIS when it launched as had a different female character as Kate played by Sasha Alexander only joined in NCIS episode one.

Would be surprised if Channel 5 go for NCIS Red as they already have too made US shows they are struggling to schedule hence why Person of Interest got messed around in its scheduling. Also remember for NCIS they only have 2nd run rights a year after Fox, so may not be willing to pay a first run premium if a pay channel bid. However they will have gaps for new shows as CSI NY is probably cancelled although they still have the most recent season to show, which they are holding back until CSI Las Vegas ends.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I was like with CSI: Miami, and then NY came along and I thought, this is the spin-off I've been waiting for!

I hope, like you, that RED is brilliant! :D

Same here, I never really got into Miami as much as the other two although I stuck with it to the end of S5 before abandoning it.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When does ncis red air in the uk?
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    No-one knows yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one knows yet.

At least we know which channel is gonna be on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    At least we know which channel is gonna be on.

we don't know that either
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we don't know that either

Thought it would be sky one or fox. Surely has to be same channel has ncis LA or ncis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes but we don't know yet, for all we know the BBC or ITV could decide to get in on the franchise, until its confirmed
  • Options
    leeowls87leeowls87 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not even been confirmed as a pickup yet has it for CBS?

I'd be surprised if they don't go ahead with it but its looking more like it could be a mid season premiere next spring for 13-15 episode season
  • Options
    Forum Member
    leeowls87 wrote: »
    Its not even been confirmed as a pickup yet has it for CBS?

I'd be surprised if they don't go ahead with it but its looking more like it could be a mid season premiere next spring for 13-15 episode season

US online comment agrees that they are considering holding back to mid season for reworking. CBS have commissioned more dramas for 2013-4 than they have slots so some will only be half seasons.

The ratings and feedback on this backdoor pilot in the US has been poor, which may encourage changes. Remember NCIS changed between its appearance in JAG and getting its own show. Thy changed the female lead for example.

Nothing in Red really stood out for me, and the cast did not grab my attention. There is a risk it could be the next Criminal Minds Suspect Behaviour which only had half a season before being cancelled.

I can't see the UK networks fighting for this. With C5 reportedly less interested in US shows could well be Fox or Sky. Think the UK channels will splash the cash on SHIELD which has a lot more buzz.
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    US online comment agrees that they are considering holding back to mid season for reworking. CBS have commissioned more dramas for 2013-4 than they have slots so some will only be half seasons.

The ratings and feedback on this backdoor pilot in the US has been poor, which may encourage changes. Remember NCIS changed between its appearance in JAG and getting its own show. Thy changed the female lead for example.

Nothing in Red really stood out for me, and the cast did not grab my attention. There is a risk it could be the next Criminal Minds Suspect Behaviour which only had half a season before being cancelled.

I can't see the UK networks fighting for this. With C5 reportedly less interested in US shows could well be Fox or Sky. Think the UK channels will splash the cash on SHIELD which has a lot more buzz.

None of the characters stand out for me, either. I was a bit 'meh' about the entire thing.

I loved 'Jag' (the 'daddy' of them all), then NCIS (mainly because I'm a long-time fan of Mark Harmon and then I watched the series and got hooked on the other characters as well) and NCIS LA because of the characters, again (I admit that sometimes the storylines in both NCIS and NCIS LA could be better!).

But NCIS:Red doesn't have anything that would 'hook' me. I am ambivalent about all of the characters and without that aspect to reel me in, have already decided that I will probably be giving it a miss if it ever makes it to a series/half series.

It's a shame. it probably looked good on paper and of course they want to get as much mileage as they can out of the format, but I think this is one step too far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    That "pilot" was very different to NCIS when it launched as had a different female character as Kate played by Sasha Alexander only joined in NCIS episode one.

Yeah, That's what happens with pilots.Even NCIS LA team lost their boss in between appearing in NCIS and their opening episode. Did they also move offices too?.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They really do not need yet another NCIS team. The two we have are enough. If they wanted to extend the franchise bring back a new version of JAG which had two plusses - showing the trial side of the crimes and a global spread as the team travelled to naval bases and ships all over the world.

THAT would have been something different. NCIS:Red was just another NCIS: LA and if made into a series would slowly drain the viewers of all shows by over familiarity with the same sort of stories.

A JAG based show (with some NCIS agents included if they want as these guys must work together more often than you would ever know from NCIS and NCIS LA) would at least be a genuine divergence. NCIS: Red simply wasn't good enough to overcome the fact that it was more of the same of what we already have quite a lot of in two 24 episiode series per year.
  • Options
    Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid I have to echo some of the critical comments. This wasn't sufficiently differentiated from the other NCIS shows and nothing stuck out e.g. none of the characters. It all seemed a bit pointless to me.

Still, they may have some ideas for developing it e.g. building on the relationships and strains of being on the road together....