Jonathan Ross to sit in for Steve Wright for a week

iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Jonathan Ross is back on radio 2 later this month to sit in for Steve Wright for a week august 26-29 http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-08-14/jonathan-ross-returns-as-bbc-radio-2-presenter-six-years-after-sachsgate

Could it lead to Wossy getting hi s own show on the station again soon? :o

Comments

• Dar WDar W Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can imagine there will be a lot of haters over this news but I for one can't wait.His Saturday morning show was hilarious and played some really and a great variety of good music.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Brilliant. He is a great broadcaster and was always entertaining on Radio 2.

Although he played a key role in sachsgate which was disgracefull. He cannot in any way be held responsible for the fact that it was broadcast.

It was recorded and flagged up as being unsuitible for broadcast to senior managment who made the call to air the show. That part was not his fault. The fact he abused someone over the phone in a bbc studio is a totally seperate matter as far as i'm concerned.

Never the less it's great to see him returning.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm absolutely delighted- he's brilliant on the radio. He's entertaining and funny and very good at talking to the people who phone in ( maybe some irony in that statement!). I'm now waiting for the Daily Mail to explode!
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed he was on Just a Minute on Radio 4 the other day too.

It's now almost six years since Sachsgate. Penance enough. If this goes well they should try and find him a nice little weekend morning slot - Saturday morning would be ideal...
  • iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markmag wrote: »
    I noticed he was on Just a Minute on Radio 4 the other day too.

It's now almost six years since Sachsgate. Penance enough. If this goes well they should try and find him a nice little weekend morning slot - Saturday morning would be ideal...

or replacing Steve Wrights Sunday Love songs perhaps...
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Jonathan Ross is back on radio 2 later this month to sit in for Steve Wright for a week august 26-29 http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-08-14/jonathan-ross-returns-as-bbc-radio-2-presenter-six-years-after-sachsgate

No please no no no no no no no no no no no no >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with Amara on this, words just fail me: confused:
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,824
    Forum Member
    This really is great news, I'd prefer to listen to JR anyway over the likes of Kielty.

It's great that the door has been opened up again for him, I think we were all surprised that he didn't get another radio gig after he left Radio 2

Welcome home.
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    AL89 wrote: »
    I'm with Amara on this, words just fail me: confused:

Why wouldn't BBC Radio Two bring back a very popular Saturday morning show? I'd certainly listen.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit neutral on this and will give him a listen before judging. (it will never catch on here I know)

I dipped into the old Saturday show occasionally and found him mildly entertaining, anything is better than Wright.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikeBr wrote: »
    Why wouldn't BBC Radio Two bring back a very popular Saturday morning show? I'd certainly listen.
    I agree. His Saturday morning show was one of the very few shows on radio that I found unmissable.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,844
    Forum Member
    I'll give him a go. He had good chemistry with Andy on Saturday mornings, and he can interview at least.
    I'm funny with JR, his music documentaries were excellent, i was never a fan of the chat show though
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    How long will it be before some old fart posts 'they should have used Tony Blackburn instead'?

Absolutely brilliant news.
  • mark mayhewmark mayhew Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Absolutely terrible news/decision.

The guy is well past his sell by date.
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Could they not give him his Saturday show back? He was miles better at that gig than Graham Norton is.
    Forum Member
    Once sacked he should remain sacked.

He clearly has no respect for anyone other than himself.
  • leddersledders Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    I think we were all surprised that he didn't get another radio gig after he left Radio 2

Were we? I certainly wasn't. I was surprised he lasted on a national radio station as long as he did. Dreadful broadcaster.

Why not give somebody decent a go? The likes of Danny Baker spring to mind.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member

He wasn't sacked.
    Forum Member
    Anybody other than Ross please.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonathan is always one of those broadcasters who polarise and create strong opinions (the best broadcasters always are) but from my point of view it's good news.

Hopefully Andy Davies will be joining him and it'll be the first of a second career at Radio 2 for Jonathan. I still have fond memories of the two different weeks he stood in for Wogan so would like to hear him fill in for Evans.

I suspect it will be a bit more tight then the old Saturday morning show, very much akin to the Wright format.
    Forum Member
    Why can't a decent professional presenter/DJ like Johnnie Walker be brought in.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely terrible news/decision.

The guy is well past his sell by date.

He clearly has no respect for anyone other than himself.
    Anybody other than Ross please.

Don't sit on the fence Mark - tell us what you think. Ideally again and again and again and again :D
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A decent professional presenter/DJ is being brought in.
    A decent professional presenter/DJ like Johnnie Walker? Do you mean Johnnie Walker by any chance? No thanks, his best days are long gone.
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    MikeBr wrote: »

Just for the record 3 million listeners tuned out after Sounds of the 60's when Ross was on at 10am.
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Just for the record 3 million listeners tuned out after Sounds of the 60's when Ross was on at 10am.
    Just for the record Sounds of the 60s is one of the most listened-to shows of the weekend. Whoever follows it is going to suffer a big drop.
    Nice try though.