Options

How to connect laptop to Sony 40W5500

mikesh27mikesh27 Posts: 1,037
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm not really sure how I go about this.

I've connected the TV to a router by ethernet cable. The router also has one PC connected by cable and a laptop connecting by wifi.

If I go into PC on the TV menu, "no signal" is displayed.

Not sure where to go from here and the manual doesn't go into much detail, like it's so obvious everyone knows - except me.

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    I don't really know but I was told to have a look at TVersity as a means of streaming content from my PC (from disk or from the internet) over the LAN where it can be seen by the TV.

I have got as far as getting TVersity to stream Eurosport Player but not got round to getting the long ethernet lead I need to connect the router to the TV.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    To connect your laptop to your TV you use a simple VGA to VGA lead, selecting PC on the TV then uses that as a monitor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is what I do now but it means not being able to use the laptop for anything else and scrabbling around making the connections every time I want to do that. A permanently wired solution would be better.
  • Options
    mikesh27mikesh27 Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd tried that but didn't have display properties set for the second monitor (TV), but can only get 800x600 @ 60Hz.

Like gomezz said it is very clumsly with 2m VGA cable, would prefer Cat5. Any idea how that is set up?
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A HDMI to DVI lead also works with my Sony TV in addiition to the vga input. (assuming of course your laptop has an external DVI port)

VGA works at 1024 x 768 with the graphics card in my laptop though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikesh27 wrote: »
    I'm not really sure how I go about this.

I've connected the TV to a router by ethernet cable. The router also has one PC connected by cable and a laptop connecting by wifi.

If I go into PC on the TV menu, "no signal" is displayed.

Not sure where to go from here and the manual doesn't go into much detail, like it's so obvious everyone knows - except me.
    That's because what you're attempting to do isn't possible.

Some TVs have the ability to do a few things on the Internet using applications built into the TV, but you can't connect your laptop to your TV via a local area network and watch content being played on the laptop.

You do have a couple of options, though.

If the laptop has an S-Video out you could get one of those point to point transmitter things, that allow you to have an STB in one room, and watch it in another.

Or you can put the laptop on a table next to TV and use a remote control mouse/keyboard or Windows Media remote control to control it.

If you use the TV as a monitor, then an VGA, DVI, HDMI or DVI-HDMI hybrid cable will work great with a wireless desktop (mouse & keyboard), and distance to the laptop isn't a big problem if you're watching the TV within about 6-8 feet or so (Logitech desktops are really good at this, and not so expensive if you get it from Tesco's).

To make the laptop mobile again, all you have to do is disconnect the video cable from the back of the laptop and tuck the cable away, while still connected to the TV. (Oh and you can disconnect the desktop set, of course).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RobAnt wrote: »
    you can't connect your laptop to your TV via a local area network and watch content being played on the laptop.
    Yes you can if your TV supports DLNA which most do these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Yes you can if your TV supports DLNA which most do these days.
    A DLNA is not the same as a LAN, and I don't know of any Laptops (or PCs) that support it completely, although Windows 7 does have some limited support within media player 12.

WMP12 can't play everything available.

I'd still prefer my option, regardless. But I see your point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    Sorry but doesn't the New Toshiba Qosmio G50 support DLNA - I think I read about this somewhere, might have been dreaming it though - boring dream I know ;)

Oops sorry you changed your post, this was in reply to not knowing of any Laptop supporting DLNA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oops sorry you changed your post, this was in reply to not knowing of any Laptop supporting DLNA
    ;) yes, I tend to edit online, instead of typing into notepad, then copy/pasting. And a bit of extra studying also helps sometimes, as new info comes to light.

But not sure how this laptop you speak of does it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ;) yes, I tend to edit online, instead of typing into notepad, then copy/pasting. And a bit of extra studying also helps sometimes, as new info comes to light.

But not sure how this laptop you speak of does it.

To be honest not sure myself, I just remember reading somewhere that it was DLNA compatible - I only remember because then I went off and read up on DLNA to find out what it was all about :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not even mentioned on Toshiba's product feature list for this lappy on their own website.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not even mentioned on Toshiba's product feature list for this lappy on their own website.

Not sure if this is the same place I read about it but I just did a quick google to see what I came up with and this is what I came up with.

You might not want to go to the site so it said this in the text : "Here’s the ultimate desktop replacement from Toshiba’s latest Qosmio line-up. With four models, Toshiba made sure to give their latest Qosmio the best of the Spurs Engine Technology for encoding HD video at the speed of lght either in Blu-ray video quality or simply YouTube’s HD mode. Each model also includes SoftDMA giving your DLNA compatible device the ability to record HD video contents from a Notebook TV tuner like an NAS."

As I said something I read but you're right its not in the spec is it. Anyway hope that helps. I am off for Sunday Dinner :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am off for Sunday Dinner :D
    I'm off for a muffin!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A DLNA is not the same as a LAN, and I don't know of any Laptops (or PCs) that support it completely, although Windows 7 does have some limited support within media player 12.
    Well I will see how I get on with Eurosport Player on my desktop using TVersity to stream it to my LAN and a long ethernet cable to connect it to my new DLNA-enabled TV. I have a couple of weeks before the new WSB season starts up and can fall bacl on my VGA to S-Video connection if it doesn't work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I will see how I get on with Eurosport Player on my desktop using TVersity to stream it to my LAN and a long ethernet cable to connect it to my new DLNA-enabled TV. I have a couple of weeks before the new WSB season starts up and can fall bacl on my VGA to S-Video connection if it doesn't work.

What VGA to S-Video cable?, they are completely different things, and S-Video is only low quality and low resolution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I use a cheap converter box I got from Maplin. S-Video is not the limiting factor when it comes to live streaming from the internet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    post removed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I use a cheap converter box I got from Maplin. S-Video is not the limiting factor when it comes to live streaming from the internet.

No, if that's all you're wanting it's OK, but it's useless to use for a monitor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, definitely agree on that. It can be a bugger to play with the aspect ratio settings etc in VLC trying to read the options menu on the TV.