Options

Amy in more episodes than Rose

ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just checked IMDB, with "The Angels Take Manhattan" that will be the case.

I think it's okay because I find Amy more likeable. But I also have to say I'm glad she's leaving, I'm bloody sick of the Ponds!

Comments

• Options
    sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOOD! Far better companion than Rose who was a bit of a bitch, all things considered, she+Rory make the best companions yet in my opinion, thats in the shows entire history. Though I'm looking forward to their last episode, I wont be glad to see them go. I'll really miss them
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMDB is actually wrong if you count all of the characters' appearances including non-speaking ones:

Rose: 34 episodes in total.

Series 1 (13 episodes) + series 2 (13 episodes) + series 4 (technically 6 episodes if you count her two brief non-speaking appearances in The Poison Sky and Midnight) + 1 Christmas Special + The End of Time

Amy: 33 episodes in total.

Series 5 (13 episodes) + series 6 (13 episodes, including one non-speaking cameo in Closing Time) + series 7 (5 episodes) + 2 Christmas specials

If you look at the actresses though, they're equal on 34 as Karen played a Soothsayer in The Fires of Pompeii in series 4.

Overall Karen probably has done more though, with the Pond Life, Space/Time and Night and the Doctor min-episodes/serials.
  • Options
    Rose-AddictRose-Addict Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quality over quantity. ;)
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't Jamie still hold the record for being the companion in the most episodes?
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Strictly speaking that's true but I wouldn't personally count Rose's brief appearances in The Poison Sky and Midnight because she was not in those episodes as a companion but as a very brief cameo.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Each companion is different and does what they do and progresses through their time on the series. So well done to Amy, you have turned it around.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YEAH AMY!!!!!!!!! :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Doesn't Jamie still hold the record for being the companion in the most episodes?

Yep, 117 according to IMDB which is usually correct in terms of "classic" Who.

Even when converted to "new who" length, that's around 60 episodes (remembering that three of Jamie's appearances were in 45 minute long eps plus the cameo in the five doctors). Doubt that will ever be matched.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, though if you count length from first to last story being shown it's Tegan who was longest serving, and if you count all stories in all media (books, big finish etc.) it's Ace I believe.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    Just checked IMDB, with "The Angels Take Manhattan" that will be the case.

I think it's okay because I find Amy more likeable. But I also have to say I'm glad she's leaving, I'm bloody sick of the Ponds!

I'm a bit confused. Why wouldn't it be ok? Does every companion have to be judged next to Rose? I don't think a companion's importance is diminished by how few or more episodes they appear in compared to another companion's. :)
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused. Why wouldn't it be ok? Does every companion have to be judged next to Rose? I don't think a companion's importance is diminished by how few or more episodes they appear in compared to another companion's. :)

Well Rose has been the most heavily featured companion of NuWho. And now she's been overtaken by a better character, which I think is a positive. Still, shame we didn't get like 3 series of Donna. And another 3 of River. That's how I'd have written it. :p
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »
    Strictly speaking that's true but I wouldn't personally count Rose's brief appearances in The Poison Sky and Midnight because she was not in those episodes as a companion but as a very brief cameo.

I wouldn't either, but that would mean discounting Amy's appearance in Closing Time as well, and for me that was the best scene in that episode ;)
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't either, but that would mean discounting Amy's appearance in Closing Time as well, and for me that was the best scene in that episode ;)

Excellent point. Yes discount that too.
  • Options
    MediaMattersMediaMatters Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    GOOD! Far better companion than Rose who was a bit of a bitch, all things considered, she+Rory make the best companions yet in my opinion, thats in the shows entire history. Though I'm looking forward to their last episode, I wont be glad to see them go. I'll really miss them

:cry: Especially if it is the last time EVER we might see the Pond family i.e. no cameos! :(

Though, it does feel as if they have had the most complete story-arc: two-and-a-half series + Christmas appearances. I don't know if y'all feel the same but it feels replete, even if I'd be sad to see them go. I'll be egging on Christmas for the return of Jenna to fill that Pond-shaped hole in the Tardis! :cry:
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to discount single episodes that are seperate from the characters "main run". I therefore include all Amy's episodes, as she has appeared in every story without a break since The Eleventh Hour, whereas I only include series 1 and 2 and Christmas Invasion for Rose.

Love them both by the way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well! If you're discounting Closing Time for Amy you've also got to discount Partners in Crime for Rose, so that's subtracting three from series four, now.

Personally? I'd count CT and PiC, as their characters interact with other characters in a meaningful way. Midnight and The Poison Sky, not at all, because there is no interaction or acknowledgment with the story or the characters. It's stock footage. They could've pasted that into any episode - it has even less meaningful impact on a story than a flashback or a projection. But it doesn't matter whether CT and PiC count as appearances or not, because as long as they both fall under the same basic category they cancel each other out anyway.

So I'd count that as...

Amy: 14+14+5 = 33 as of The Angels Take Manhattan.
    Rose: 14+13+4+1 = 31 as of The End of Time.

By my reckoning, Amy catches up to Rose next week!
  • Options
    Bruce WayneBruce Wayne Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    I'm just waiting for Matt to pass Tom
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    Well Rose has been the most heavily featured companion of NuWho. And now she's been overtaken by a better character, which I think is a positive. Still, shame we didn't get like 3 series of Donna. And another 3 of River. That's how I'd have written it. :p

Rose was too heavily featured after her departure in series 2 and that ruined her for me. I hope Amy doesn't linger like a bad smell after she has gone. One series of Donna was enough for me, though I liked her, and given River's reverse time line to The Doctor's I think a recurring role is enough. :-)