Options

iPhone 5 accounts for only half of total iPhone sales

2»

Comments

• Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    So creating a massive tablet market from nothing is "nothing big" !

nah... iPad is just an oversized iPhone :)

In more recent years Apple have had the benefit of a very loyal customer base that would buy almost anything that had an 'i' in front of it :D

Its obviously where they went wrong with "Apple TV" ... forgot the 'i' :D

(ducks and runs :p)
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    nah... iPad is just an oversized iPhone :)

In more recent years Apple have had the benefit of a very loyal customer base that would buy almost anything that had an 'i' in front of it :D

Its obviously where they went wrong with "Apple TV" ... forgot the 'i' :D

(ducks and runs :p)

Not even going to rise to that :)
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    So creating a massive tablet market from nothing is "nothing big" !

Not really no. It was fairly obvious.

Anyway, since i was talking about the iphone which is what this thread is about, no. They haven't done anything big since the release of the iphone.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple suppliers hit by slowdown in iPhone sales

Looks like suppliers are suffering from the slowdown in iPhone sales!
    Apple supplier Cirrus Logic, maker of audio chips, is reporting an inventory glut, providing further evidence of slowing Apple smartphone, tablet and computer sales.

Cirrus Logic, which gets 91% of its sales from Apple, is forecasting fiscal first-quarter revenue below analysts' estimates.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/25044/Apple_suppliers_hit_by_slowdown_in_iPhone_sales.aspx
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Not really no. It was fairly obvious.

Anyway, since i was talking about the iphone which is what this thread is about, no. They haven't done anything big since the release of the iphone.

I'm not an Apple fan by any means but in their defence they have maintained a very healthy market share for high end smartphones and have an aspirational brand that has led to increased sales of MacBooks, iMacs and other products off the back of their mobile success.

Like everything else they will have their place and time and are now being eclipsed by Samsung with Sony, HTC and Huawei chasing fast. Apple will have to come down market to maintain their share as others have set the bar much higher at the top end of the market. Who would have thought that Samsung could sell smartphones at a premium over Apple a couple of years back? The Jokers in the pack in the phone market are Huawei and ZTE both of whom are hungry for business and want to make a mark. Their pricing for top end smartphones might just be the thorn in Apple's side if they decide to offer a budget iPhone.

Apple will remain a lifestyle choice for many but probably nowhere near as many who jumped on the bandwagon with early iPhone adoption. When the market settles they will probably become a niche player just as they are in the PC market where a few are prepared to pay a huge premium for style and branding.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..they have maintained a very healthy market share for high end smartphones
    The fact that they had near static(7% YOY growth) in the market is a positive.

There was 42% YOY smartphone growth overall so Apple are likely at a major pivotal point where major changes need to be made in order to stay relevant.