End of time part 2 - Master fights the timelord president

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
Forum Member
i just wanted to say that when i was watching this and i heard the master go " get out of the way " and start fighting the timelord guy, i was like :O what a legend , i loved it so much , made me think that even though the doctor and master and rivals, they still care and love eachover so much , and we seen some of the old master , from the beginning when he was actully good!

Comments

• Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    i just wanted to say that when i was watching this and i heard the master go " get out of the way " and start fighting the timelord guy, i was like :O what a legend , i loved it so much , made me think that even though the doctor and master and rivals, they still care and love eachover so much , and we seen some of the old master , from the beginning when he was actully good!

Remember The Doctor and The Master were childhood friends. That has got to have an effect on their present relationship especially after The Master realised that it was The President that had made him the way he was.
  • hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Master has always wanted to kill the Doctor but something in him has left a loophole every time.

The Doctor has always shown friendship towards the Master
  • Jakes_stuffJakes_stuff Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hardylane wrote: »
    The Master has always wanted to kill the Doctor but something in him has left a loophole every time.

Having said that, I seem to remember in the classic series is stories such as Castrovalva and Planet of Fire, when it seemed the Doctor was certain the Master had perished he showed little remorse.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having said that, I seem to remember in the classic series is stories such as Castrovalva and Planet of Fire, when it seemed the Doctor was certain the Master had perished he showed little remorse.

To be fair, the 5th Doctor lost a companion and only mentioned him a few times afterwards. The programme wasn't so touchy-feely back then.

If something like Adric's death happened nowadays, it would cast a shadow over the show for long afterwards
  • Jakes_stuffJakes_stuff Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, the 5th Doctor lost a companion and only mentioned him a few times afterwards. The programme wasn't so touchy-feely back then.

If something like Adric's death happened nowadays, it would cast a shadow over the show for long afterwards

Yeh, you're right there
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, Nyssa seemed remarkably composed during all of her meetings with the bloke who was wandering around in her dead dad's body. Oh yes, and Tegan took the whole aunt-murdering thing very well.

I guess JNT must have been a great believer in stiff upper lip.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's how we used to be.

Affection and displays of great emotion were private affairs... not a case for mass public weepings. The tide was turning in the 90's, and then went cuckoo with Diana's death.

The media have had a HUGE part to play in this, by the over-personalising of the news, and the idea that the public have to be emotionally engaged to the point of hysteria before they give a tozz.

In this respect, we are slipping down a very steep slope indeed.
  • Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I always saw the early master (Delgardo) as wanting to be leader of somewhere, and the Dr usually interfering in his plans, and then just trying to dispose of him humanly.

An example of this is Frontier in Space, where The Master is trying to start a war between Earth and Draconia. The Doc becomes involved and once Master realises, he steps in to save the Doc!
    After all, the Doc had been sent to the penal colony ont he moon for life. There is no need for The Master to go and rescue him if he simply wanted the Doc out of the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's certainly a proper love-hate relationship!

I do hope that when the Master returns we get a bit more cold ruthlessness and a bit less bonkers people eater.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a matter of interest, and hopefully informative to newbie Who watchers..

Back in Jon Pertwee's tenure as the Doctor, it was actually planned that the Master was to die saving the Doctor's life!

Unfortunately the Actor playing the Master, Roger Delgado, was killed in real life and the idea was shelved.
    Interestingly enough Jon Pertwee's departure was said to be largely because of this sad event, as he was a close personal friend of Roger Delgado.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's certainly a proper love-hate relationship!

I do hope that when the Master returns we get a bit more cold ruthlessness and a bit less bonkers people eater.

If the sound of Drums in the Masters mind has stopped (which I'm guessing it will have) then we will probably get a very different Master (even if it's still the Simm incarnation).
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's how we used to be.

Affection and displays of great emotion were private affairs... not a case for mass public weepings. The tide was turning in the 90's, and then went cuckoo with Diana's death.

The media have had a HUGE part to play in this, by the over-personalising of the news, and the idea that the public have to be emotionally engaged to the point of hysteria before they give a tozz.

In this respect, we are slipping down a very steep slope indeed.

I agree. And yes, it does seem to have been the 90s when it all changed. The reaction to Diana's death was totally OTT, particularly given that she was far from popular beforehand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost a text-book case of mass hysteria.
    I wonder what future historians will make of it all?!!