THAT was better than ALL 5 years worth of episode combined!!

Comments

• lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    That's because some people thought it was awful.

I rated it 'poor' because, like so many episodes this season, it was just weird and lacking in any real sunstance. I don't have any connection to the characters and it's all been rather lackluster.

I personally don't see why so many people thought it was brilliant. Mind you, there's a massive disparity between the fans who come here and vote and the majority of casual viewers (who do not).

How do you know that, have you run an independent poll? Look I don't mind people not liking it, that's fair enough (and I agree they shouldn't be called idiots). However, making unsubstantiated remarks is another thing . I personally don't know what all the people at home thought about last night's episode (maybe they all hated it, maybe they all liked it, and maybe there was a fair distribution of both).
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Best episode ever ? afraid not but certainly best episode of this series so far.(and I still hate those bloody awfull new Daleks)
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mind you, there's a massive disparity between the fans who come here and vote and the majority of casual viewers (who do not).

Thats where the AI is useful...when the wider audience invariabley rate this episode very highly, though, I am sure you will find some way to dismiss their opinion in the same manner you have the opinion of people here.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    thebill22 wrote: »
    I don't know why but i feel that tonights episode had that kind of feel that it was going to be a last ever episode. I know its not but it just had that feel to it.

I thought so too. It could've literally been the end of Dr Who (and everything else!). Epic.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought so too. It could've literally been the end of Dr Who (and everything else!). Epic.

the thing that was great about this ending was I can literally see no way out! The lack of anything like a trailer was a very smart move in my view!
  • EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was good, but RTD has done better lead ins to the finale (Stolen Earth and The Sound of Drums), that's not meant to put it down as I think these episodes were where RTD really shone. Next week is the real test for me, RTD (in my opinion really let the show down here, the finales were the worst episode of every series for me) if Moffat wraps this up nicely without some kind of "magic button/spell" solution then the batton has been well and truely passed as the quality of the average episode this season has been very high.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched Dr Who since Ep1 and if the Moff 'delivers' with the second half then I believe it could be the best that 'Who' has ever produced.
    Utterly awesome and epic.

It's up there with Unearthly Child, Genesis of the Daleks and The Pyramids of Mars.

I can't wait to see where the Moff takes us next season!

:)
  • elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EELover wrote: »
    I think it was good, but RTD has done better lead ins to the finale (Stolen Earth and The Sound of Drums), that's not meant to put it down as I think these episodes were where RTD really shone. Next week is the real test for me, RTD (in my opinion really let the show down here, the finales were the worst episode of every series for me) if Moffat wraps this up nicely without some kind of "magic button/spell" solution then the batton has been well and truely passed as the quality of the average episode this season has been very high.

I agree with this. RTD was very good at setting everything up (apart from The End Of Time, which I found pretty terrible for most of it IMHO) - he was less good at creating a satisfying end to the big danger from series 3 onwards. Last of the Time Lords wasn't hugely brilliant considering the set-up and, whilst I thought most of Journey's End was excellent, the defeat of the Daleks/Davros felt rushed and ill-thought-through to me.

The Pandorica Opens has been an epic set-up of RTD proportions - I hope Moffat is better at creating a satisfying ending to it all.
  • Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. It was an awesome cliffhanger! Best cliffhanger in Dr Who history, IMO.

(and I hate to say it, but, compared with this, The End of Time and Sound of Drums were abysmal).

Compared to most things The End of Time and The Sound of Drums were abysmal!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Definately got to see how the 2nd part plays out before deciding, it is afterall a 2 part story

i agree that RTDs episodes had great concepts and ideas but was let down by the weak writing.

Imo the actual fleshing out of RTDs concept into an actual script was his weakest area.

The writing and production for this series has been the finest Im seen in a long time from the uk.

And ild rate the latest episode alongside any of the greatest buffy episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    mikkyh wrote: »

thank you :)

im re watching the episode later and i will probably do the same thing again when Matt does those scenes, rather intensely and emotional carried out .. the helplessness and sadness
    Forum Member
    Piratebill wrote: »
    Definately got to see how the 2nd part plays out before deciding, it is afterall a 2 part story

i agree that RTDs episodes had great concepts and ideas but was let down by the weak writing.

Imo the actual fleshing out of RTDs concept into an actual script was his weakest area.

The writing and production for this series has been the finest Im seen in a long time from the uk.

And ild rate the latest episode alongside any of the greatest buffy episodes.

Yes, some Buffy eps were superb, especially from series 2 and 3. That sense of the culmination of a massive story arc that Buffy did so well has now been fully captured by Moffat!

I would say The Pandorica Opens stands as one of the finest Dr Who episodes ever made, partly because of the threads woven into the 11 episodes that came before it.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hot Dogg wrote: »
    I've watched Dr Who since Ep1 and if the Moff 'delivers' with the second half then I believe it could be the best that 'Who' has ever produced.
    Utterly awesome and epic.

It's up there with Unearthly Child, Genesis of the Daleks and The Pyramids of Mars.

I can't wait to see where the Moff takes us next season!

Ths goes for me too, all I'm doing today is quoting other people, but it is much easier than trying to think up the right words! (thanks Hot Dogg:))
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's because some people thought it was awful.

I rated it 'poor' because, like so many episodes this season, it was just weird and lacking in any real sunstance. I don't have any connection to the characters and it's all been rather lackluster.

I personally don't see why so many people thought it was brilliant. Mind you, there's a massive disparity between the fans who come here and vote and the majority of casual viewers (who do not).
    I don't know whether it lacked 'sunstance' or not, but it certainly had substance. Most of the casual viewers I've spoken to seemed happy enough, too.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know whether it lacked 'sunstance' or not, but it certainly had substance. Most of the casual viewers I've spoken to seemed happy enough, too.

I think that the series has been good, exciting and fresh but not all that scary. The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone and the Vampires of Venice were the only ones that I remember that I would say that I found scary. And last nights which was excellent.

The finale is going to be excellent and a return to scary form which is what you want from a finale and last night I think we got it. :)
    Forum Member
    I just found that RTDs idea of a series story arc was simply referencing a name throughout the series that ends up being related to the big bad.

But the new series has provided a genuine, complex and intricate storyline weaved throughout the entire series. Where things that didnt seem relevant then are becoming relevant and subsequently demands multiple viewings of the episodes to "understand" it all.

Thats why im so impressed with this new series and prefer it over the RTD years. Thats not to say the RTD years werent good, they were great. Ild rate them an
    8/10. But this new series is a 9.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just found that RTDs idea of a series story arc was simply referencing a name throughout the series that ends up being related to the big bad.

But the new series has provided a genuine, complex and intricate storyline weaved throughout the entire series. Where things that didnt seem relevant then are becoming relevant and subsequently demands multiple viewings of the episodes to "understand" it all.

Thats why im so impressed with this new series and prefer it over the RTD years. Thats not to say the RTD years werent good, they were great. Ild rate them an
    8/10. But this new series is a 9.

I didn't like any of the RTD years.To be honest, I've never liked Dr Who at all really. I've always liked my sci-fi more polished and character driven, in the manner of new Battlestar.

But I think this series has been spectacular. Even moreso after last nights's episode. The whole season feels like a wonderful cohesive whole, and somehow less like a cheesy BBC relic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Ahh its was brilliant! I cant wait to see how it all wraps up next week.

Matt Smith was just amazing, the speech! and at the end when they're dragging him towards the pandorica was absolutley heartbreaking! When he's trying to figure out whats inside and the look on his face when he actually realises whats going on! I hate helpless doctor it's so sad, like 10 in the wheelchair :cry:
    Forum Member
    I also somewhat resented RTDs constant use of what must have been the welsh amateur dramatics society, because the extras and bit part players in the RTD years were universally terrible.

Also the constant unecessary shoe-horning of homosexuality into a script was also rubbish. (i found the tara-willow relationship a sensitive, touching and somewhat dignified way of portraying a homosexual relationship)

and the new series just highlights how those excesses in the RTD years were so...well excessive. And unnecessary.

The new series focus on quality actors and storyline with no agenda just good quality fantasy/sci-fi has given the uk the first ever rival to shows like battlestar galactica and buffy.

And seeing as the US sci-fi market is in a terrible state it may actually be that were making the best sci-fi show
    in the world at the moment
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also somewhat resented RTDs constant use of what must have been the welsh amateur dramatics society, because the extras and bit part players in the RTD years were universally terrible.

Also the constant unecessary shoe-horning of homosexuality into a script was also rubbish. (i found the tara-willow relationship a sensitive, touching and somewhat dignified way of portraying a homosexual relationship)

and the new series just highlights how those excesses in the RTD years were so...well excessive. And unnecessary.

The new series focus on quality actors and storyline with no agenda just good quality fantasy/sci-fi has given the uk the first ever rival to shows like battlestar galactica and buffy.

And seeing as the US sci-fi market is in a terrible state it may actually be that were making the best sci-fi show
    in the world at the moment

I think the new series deals with homosexuality magnificently. It's pretty strongly suggested that the current Dr is not entirely straight, but it's done in a subtle and well written manner.

The last series was more like La Cage aux Folles.
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    I think the new series deals with homosexuality magnificently. It's pretty strongly suggested that the current Dr is not entirely straight, but it's done in a subtle and well written manner.

The last series was more like La Cage aux Folles.

I lol'd :D

I think this Doc is gay anyway (I hope so at least).
    Forum Member
    Well those signs have gone totally over my head! A bisexual doctor? :O

i liked RTDs diversity in the series, the new one seems to be very white.

If they do have a gay character i hope theyre shown in a positive light. Having a loving, stable and monogomous relationship.

I disliked captain jack not because he was bi, but because he was a inter-galactic **** crossing the universe shagging and coming onto anything that moved.

Which i dont think is appropriate in a kids show.

I like rory just because we wont have another "assistant falls for the doctor" storyline. I think ild rather they stay on the "fairy tale" mythology than look at romances between anyone regardless of it being homosexual or heterosexual
  • elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well those signs have gone totally over my head! A bisexual doctor? :O

i liked RTDs diversity in the series, the new one seems to be very white.

If they do have a gay character i hope theyre shown in a positive light. Having a loving, stable and monogomous relationship.

I disliked captain jack not because he was bi, but because he was a inter-galactic **** crossing the universe shagging and coming onto anything that moved.

Which i dont think is appropriate in a kids show.

I like rory just because we wont have another "assistant falls for the doctor" storyline. I think ild rather they stay on the "fairy tale" mythology than look at romances between anyone regardless of it being homosexual or heterosexual

True re Captain Jack. A little bit unfortunate that RTD decided to pander to the 'all gay/bisexual men are promiscuous' stereotype, but there you go.

It wasn't the fact I was bothered that RTD had a 'gay agenda,' but there were occasions where it was shoehorned in somewhat unnecessarily.

I do prefer the generally subtler writing in this series, though. With RTD, as many have said, the show was a bit Intergalactic-Eastenders, or something. It tended to work OK and there were some brilliant RTD eps, and to be fair I've loved New Who, but series 5 has pretty much been my fave so far (though I mourn the lack of Donna!)

EDIT: Oh, and I would like to say that the subtler writing has lended itself well to the finale. With RTD it was all a bit 'something is coming, something has survived, someone is going to return' every ep, the story arc was pretty much simply to tip us off that the Daleks/the Master/Davros were coming back and there was going to be some big, exciting, explosion-filled denouement packed with deus ex machina and an all-too-hasty 'victory' for the Doc, which made it look like he never broke a sweat. Whereas the stuff about the Pandorica, who Amy is, the mystery surrounding the cracks and Rory, and all the wibbly-wobby-timey-wimey stuff has been a genuinely engaging mystery.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You do know that 'n' is next to 'b' on a keyboard so an understandable keying error has occured....

By the way it's very poor form to make fun of spelling errors on a forum, in fact I think it's against this particular forums rules....
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think this Doc is gay anyway (I hope so at least).

Why? The Doctor is the same person he's always been. He's not gay, he's just not interested. Something the last regime had trouble grasping but which the new one seems to have remembered, thankfully.