Hudl - can anyone help?

2»

Comments

• paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes and yes. In fact its very much encouraged. if you buy an app on your phone you can install the same app for free on the tablet. likewise, books, music, magazines etc.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    yes and yes. In fact its very much encouraged. if you buy an app on your phone you can install the same app for free on the tablet. likewise, books, music, magazines etc.

thanks for that

i want a tablet but i dont need one so to speak, so it will be budget all the way, hudl looks good.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    thanks for that

i want a tablet but i dont need one so to speak, so it will be budget all the way, hudl looks good.

It is definitely a good bit of kit.

I've just bought a second (for my eldest son), and a couple of nights back was configuring an Asus Memo Pad HD7 for the ex's daughter. Comparing the HD7 against the Hudl and my 2012 N7 is interesting.

On pure benchmarks, the HD7 and N7 are roughly the same speed. The Hudl - at least on the Antutu benchmark - is close to the new Nexus 7 on performance, which is excellent.

The Hudl would be reasonably good value if it were priced at over £150, but at £120 it is incredibly good value for money.

Only area that it lacks is the rear camera - the Asus HD7 is definitely better on that count.
  • stringmanstringman Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    Bunions wrote: »
    FWIW Ginger, here's my Top 10 must have apps and the ones I install before I do anything else:

1. Avast
    2. Evernote
    3. Dropbox
    4. Boat Browser
    5. Gmail
    6. Kingsoft Office
    7. Kindle
    8. ES File Explorer
    9. Simplenote
    10. Battery
    Next to be installed would be:

11. Netflix
    12. eBay
    13. Aldiko
    14. Rocket Player
    15. Twitter
    16. iPlayer
    17. TVCatchup
    18. Drive
    19. PayPal
    20. Wallpapers Bay

I also always install Aptoide which enables you to install non Google app stores such as Slide Me and Blackmart Alpha. The latter is a brilliant one for getting paid apps for nowt ;)

Hi Bunions, I was trying to install aptoid but it was asking me to install 3 other progs before I could use it. I did install 3 games but when I tried to open aptoid it did the same. Is that normal?
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tvcatchup was good but the channels are now restricted. Have a look at filmon

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.filmontvcom.android&hl=en

Install, scroll down to British TV and most of your free view channels are there. Also worth noting is you can use this app anywhere, so if your on holiday abroad and miss Brit TV its no longer a problem.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Buy cheap - buy twice' and all that.
    ebay and SD cards do not mix very well whatsoever.

The vast majority of cards are fake and ebay does not seem to mind.
    I imagine even reputable sellers think twice about selling there with these.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »

Install, scroll down to British TV and most of your free view channels are there. Also worth noting is you can use this app anywhere, so if your on holiday abroad and miss Brit TV its no longer a problem.

Seconded for Filmon, it works well.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stringman wrote: »
    Hi Bunions, I was trying to install aptoid but it was asking me to install 3 other progs before I could use it. I did install 3 games but when I tried to open aptoid it did the same. Is that normal?
    Hi stringman :)

Didn't see this till just now - apologies :blush:

Install Aptoide from here on your tablet.

It's a direct download from their site so you shouldn't be getting anything other than the installer.

Let me know how you get on ;)
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's sounds like a good plan ;)

'Buy cheap - buy twice' and all that.

Hope it works this time Ginger :)

I disagree with 'Buy cheap - buy twice' very often. There are so many rip-off merchants and there is a lot of good cheap stuff on ebay.

But in the case of SCD Cards there are a lot of counterfeit SD cards. They may be sold as a 32gb Micro SD card, but in fact they are about 2gb in storage and programmed to look like you have 32gb in storage.

So if you buy an SD card on ebay fill it up with music immediately to test the real capacity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FWIW Ginger, here's my Top 10 must have apps and the ones I install before I do anything else:

1. Avast
    2. Evernote
    3. Dropbox
    4. Boat Browser
    5. Gmail
    6. Kingsoft Office
    7. Kindle
    8. ES File Explorer
    9. Simplenote
    10. Battery
    Next to be installed would be:

11. Netflix
    12. eBay
    13. Aldiko
    14. Rocket Player
    15. Twitter
    16. iPlayer
    17. TVCatchup
    18. Drive
    19. PayPal
    20. Wallpapers Bay

I also always install Aptoide which enables you to install non Google app stores such as Slide Me and Blackmart Alpha. The latter is a brilliant one for getting paid apps for nowt ;)

Thanks for the list and on the back of that I have added DropBox.

I use Google Keep instead of Evernote which I never got into.

Kingsoft Office came preloaded but I am happy with Google Docs on the road.

I hadn't heard of Boat Browser but am happy with Google Chrome on my desktop and laptop so I'll stick with Chrome.

I have most of the rest.

Looking through my phone and tablet I have (not listed)

BBC news
    BBC Sport
    Google Chrome
    Google drive
    Google Navigation
    Google Maps
    Google Earth
    Google Mail
    Google Drive
    Google Play Books
    Google Play
    Google Keep
    Google Play Movies
    Google Play Music
    Google Play Newsstand
    Google Talk
    Vycle Hire
    Youtube
    FM Radio
    ebay
    TuneIn Radio
    Last.fm
    Google Googgles
    Skype / Skype WiFi
    LinkedIn
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So maybe it can be done the other way round to watch premier League matches on Spanish etc. TV?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for the tip. Filmon works well on my notebook but I get a big black square on my phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the list and on the back of that I have added DropBox.

I use Google Keep instead of Evernote which I never got into.

Kingsoft Office came preloaded but I am happy with Google Docs on the road.

I hadn't heard of Boat Browser but am happy with Google Chrome on my desktop and laptop so I'll stick with Chrome.

I have most of the rest.

Looking through my phone and tablet I have (not listed)

BBC news
    BBC Sport
    Google Chrome
    Google drive
    Google Navigation
    Google Maps
    Google Earth
    Google Mail
    Google Drive
    Google Play Books
    Google Play
    Google Keep
    Google Play Movies
    Google Play Music
    Google Play Newsstand
    Google Talk
    Vycle Hire
    Youtube
    FM Radio
    ebay
    TuneIn Radio
    Last.fm
    Google Googgles
    Skype / Skype WiFi
    LinkedIn
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Hi Henry :)

Dropbox is great and I have tons in mine, even with a free a/c so goodness knows how much storage they allow for nowt?! :D

I'm going to put the Aptoide apk into one for stringman if he doesn't have any luck with that link I sent him.

I totally understand using Chrome if you use it on your PC etc but I'm a bit of a Browser Ho and find it rather slow on my PC (OH's too) so we both use Maxthon. Same thing with Boat browser really which I came to through the great people in the Android fora who cook the ROMs ;) It's fast and stable and much less MB-heavy than Chrome. Another reason why I love it (and Maxthon) is because I'm incredibly lazy and you can have an unlimited number of speed-dials :D

I have Firefox installed too which streams Netflix better than the others so (on good advice I got elsewhere) I have all 3 installed and use them for different things.

I'd love to tempt you away from Google Play Movies and introduce you to the Archos Video app (free) which is brilliant. Give it a go! :)

Because of the ease and simplicity of installing/uninstalling apps, I like to try out new ones and see what I think of them and I'm often pleasantly surprised by how bloody good they are - especially free ones.

Another fave of mine is AirDroid but it requires root so I don't have it on my hudl yet. Another goodie is pushbullet which is not dissimilar.

Oh and I love Drippler as it keeps me up-to-date on all the latest Android news :)

I've got KitKat on my other tablet (Onda V970) and am really looking forward to Google rolling it out so we can get it on the hudl.

It's a great update with print support but something strange has happened to messaging and there's loads of Nexus 7 users out there who are threatening a Class Action against Google unless it's either reinstated or fixed :o

I LOVE Android! So much drama :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You're absolutely right about TVcatchup neo - it was a cracking little app but it's gone all shite now :(

Thanks for the head's-up about FilmOn - which I've just installed and it's great :)
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're absolutely right about TVcatchup neo - it was a cracking little app but it's gone all shite now :(

Thanks for the head's-up about FilmOn - which I've just installed and it's great :)

No problem. If you scroll down and click on the Horror tab you'll see several channels. 'Chillings' shows all sorts of old (classic) B&W horror films and thrillers if your into that type of stuff (I am). You can also record programmes if you sign up for free but the quality is not great. This application works best on tablet/phone/laptop.

Another handy application for PC's through to phones is
    https://hola.org/ Free VPN. If you install this and use Netflix, when you log in you go straight to the Netflix USA site which has more content and takes your UK log in. I spend about half the year in Spain and this is another handy little app to have to hand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem. If you scroll down and click on the Horror tab you'll see several channels. 'Chillings' shows all sorts of old (classic) B&W horror films and thrillers if your into that type of stuff (I am). You can also record programmes if you sign up for free but the quality is not great. This application works best on tablet/phone/laptop.

Another handy application for PC's through to phones is
    https://hola.org/ Free VPN. If you install this and use Netflix, when you log in you go straight to the Netflix USA site which has more content and takes your UK log in. I spend about half the year in Spain and this is another handy little app to have to hand.
    Thanks sooo much for this neo!

We've been using Unblock-us to enable us to choose our Netflix region etc and it's only a few dollars per month but free is better :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have started another thread for Android Apps.

Perhaps others can feed it.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1929012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have started another thread for Android Apps.

Perhaps others can feed it.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1929012
    Great idea Henry.

People will be able to find them all in one place instead of having to go through loads of different threads :cool::cool: