Options

Planet of the dead a pitch black rip off?

2»

Comments

• Options
    floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    Judge Dredd vs the dune sharks - from Judge Dredd Megazine, dated Sept 16, 1994. The date is in the bottom left corner.

http://www.2000ad.org/functions/cover.php?Comic=megazine&choice=2.62
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Michelle Ryan (from Eastenders ) in tonights one,,Hope she's good.!! and is it a one off for Easter..
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    floopy123 wrote: »
    Well it's possible the dune sharks were invented prior to Dredd, I don't know. But the dune sharks in Dredd's world can fly, have razor teeth. The similarity is almost identical. Taking a guess, I reckon someone on the Doctor Who production team - writer, creature designer etc, is a fan of 2000AD and Judge Dredd and was inspired by the dune sharks. They do say "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

RTD himself has said he was/is a fan of 2000AD, he put Max Normal in Gridlock (it's continous motorway inspired no doubt by the roads of Mega City One) for example :D

Also I believe the female newscaster in Gridlock was based on one from "The Ballard of Halo Jones".
  • Options
    renno69renno69 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    I Remember dredd also had ripperjacks, think it was in one of the annuals, which were like flying piranahs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,177
    Forum Member
    I immediately thought of Pitch Black, when i saw the trailer.

Mind you, David looks like a choir boy compared with Van Diesel :D

Doesn't the ex-eastender lass enjoy big muscles
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    Oh I love this bit......

LOL.....:D

well i love RTD's reply, but it makes me quite sad that his other half is clearly upset by some of the stuff that has been said about him. This is the downside to forums, people in the public eye become dehumanised on sites like this and people sometimes say things about someone here that they would never dream of saying to them in person.

In a way the internet is the last refuse of the coward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    renno69 wrote: »
    I hope its not true but it looks like it going by the trailers (minus the black lol) anyone else notice the simalarities?

And it Wasn't glad my fears wearn't realised lol
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP was wrong - Planet of the Dead was actually a rip off of 'The Langoliers'! :D
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Thank god you wrote this because it's been bugging the hell out of me since yesterday what that film was called! It was simillar I agree but nothings that original anymore.
  • Options
    loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we take it back far enough - isn't every story ever written a variation of one of the classic Greek Myths or a combination thereof?
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »
    The OP was wrong - Planet of the Dead was actually a rip off of 'The Langoliers'! :D

Indeed, and just like the TV movie of The Langoliers, the ending was ruined by poor CGI.
  • Options
    mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was basically pitch black meets flight of the phoeix for kids. It wasn't that great, felt like an average episode, just getting ready for the next 3. Plus points Tennant as great as ever and Michelle Ryan was very good as an assistant, liked her alot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member

That was what I was thinking too :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

How could i be wrong, can you read minds? lol
    I said what I THOUGHT it looked like PB based on the trailer i'd seen and i HOPED this was not the case, it wasn't.
    i've never seen or read langoliers I dont read King he uses a 1000 pages where 100 will do.
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How could i be wrong, can you read minds? lol
    I said what I THOUGHT it looked like PB based on the trailer i'd seen and i HOPED this was not the case, it wasn't.
    i've never seen or read langoliers I dont read King he uses a 1000 pages where 100 will do.

How do you know that if you've never read his books?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    because i have read some, how else would i know you think id go to the book shop and say, 'wow there's a lot of pages in that book im not going to read it' ???? numbnuts!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because i have read some, how else would i know you think id go to the book shop and say, 'wow there's a lot of pages in that book im not going to read it' ???? numbnuts!

Thanks for that, was just asking as you said you don't read King, don't see the need for the insult but if that's your style thats fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i was outta line just dont like people suggesting that i just make up stuff without any idea what i was talkin about, if you weren't then im sorry
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was such a lazy episode to call it a rip-off would be too kind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was outta line just dont like people suggesting that i just make up stuff without any idea what i was talkin about, if you weren't then im sorry

No worries and thanks for the apology, much appreciated.:)