Options

Poland - Is it a racist country?

Comments

• Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i've just clicked on the Polish one again and it's definately still there...
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    Well i've just clicked on the Polish one again and it's definately still there...

It's definitely not - clear your cache.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Webitt wrote: »
    It's definitely not - clear your cache.

Completley cleared, using a different browser - still there!
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact they changed it back is an implicit admission that it was wrong... I wonder if whoever was responsible will get into trouble for it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same here!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know poland ones werent the original and american ones been changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It must be you then

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2597/polandms.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's definitely changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    liedown wrote: »
    How do you know poland ones werent the original and american ones been changed.

Well if you have seen the picture, you'd see that the mans' head is HUGE and at an angle that would only be comfortable for Regan of The Exorcist! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexy_86 wrote: »
    Same here!

See. I'm not the only one. How strange people are seeing different pictures now on the Polish site.

Edit: Just disabled all FF add-ons. It now has changed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexy_86 wrote: »
    Well if you have seen the picture, you'd see that the mans' head is HUGE and at an angle that would only be comfortable for Regan of The Exorcist! :D

I'm just adding that thought as America have the token black president now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    liedown wrote: »
    I'm just adding that thought as America have the token black president now.

I know it's late but- Eh now?:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fixed it a bit for them.. here :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c0lefax wrote: »
    I fixed it a bit for them.. here :)
    That looks more convincing :D

I hear there's a vacancy for Photoshopper-in-chief at Microsoft... the previous guy got sacked for incompetence... i think you should apply :)
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    I find the Polish people both racist (like a lot of East Europeans) and homophobic too.

I went to a Paradise Lost gig a year or so ago. They are very popular in Germany, Greece and the old Eastern Block. A Polish fan was at the bar, drunk, but happily smiling whilst telling everybody "I'm Polish, I love heavy metal, hate gays".

Quite why he deemed to tell us this I don't know, since he was living in a very tolerant country at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the Polish people both racist (like a lot of East Europeans) and homophobic too.

I went to a Paradise Lost gig a year or so ago. They are very popular in Germany, Greece and the old Eastern Block. A Polish fan was at the bar, drunk, but happily smiling whilst telling everybody "I'm Polish, I love heavy metal, hate gays".

Quite why he deemed to tell us this I don't know, since he was living in a very tolerant country at the time.

From what I've read (& i may be wrong) you see that with Germany where apparently neofascist support is strongest in the former East Germany compared to the former West Germany
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Ford get done for this a few years ago for altering people from black to white?
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See. I'm not the only one. How strange people are seeing different pictures now on the Polish site.

Edit: Just disabled all FF add-ons. It now has changed.

Depends on your ISp as well, some ISPs use a cache, and it takes a while it to be cleared.
    Freeserve in dial up days used to do that, flipping annoying it was, not sure how many ISPs uses the system now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's obvious why they did it, as black people are almost unheard of in Poland (wiki suggest there are approx 4,500 black and mixed race Poles out of a population of 32 million), and Microsoft wanted to make it look like a generic Polish office.

It was still crap and really bad PR for them, mind - but doesn't imply that Poland is a "racist" country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've worked with a lot of Polish people in the past, and their attitudes towards race are similar to what they were in Britain during the 60s and 70s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GazP wrote: »
    Didn't Ford get done for this a few years ago for altering people from black to white?

"You can be any colour you like, so long as it's black!" :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankly, I'm amazed Microsoft didn't pull this the very SECOND they knew people had spotted it. This is gonna be making the news tomorrow morning.

Give this man a cigar! :D

BBC News: Microsoft in web photo racism row

Sky News: Microsoft Embroiled in Photoshop Race Row Photo Blunder

I still think racism is a strong word in this case though. Mis-advised localisation perhaps would be a better word.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member

Oh yes, of course: one Polish man = the entire Polish population. Using similar logic, i suppose Nick Griffin represents the common-or-garden Englishman?

Eastern Europe consists of some of the most ethnically, racially and culturally diverse countries in the world. We're far more heterogenous than our western European counterparts (i myself am pure mongrel). Yes, we have problems with racism, but you're not exactly free of it either, certainly you're not free of it to the degree that you can feel superior. In both cases said problems are caused by a minority of people, not representative of the people as a whole.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes as a country they and other Eastern Europeans tend to be more racist than others although for many it's sheer ignorance and lack of exposure to Blacks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microsoft twittered:

“We are looking into the details of this situation,” a company spokesman said. “We apologise and are in the process of pulling down the image.” ...Later, a spokeswoman for Microsoft in Poland said that the doctoring was a “simple mistake” and was not racially motivated. The picture was taken in September last year, she said, and all four people responsible for editing it had left the company some time ago. “We would really like to apologise,” she said. “We are a multiracial company and there isn’t a chance any of us are racist.”

Personally I want to know who ordered the switch.