Is this a scam?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
Forum Member
Now I know that gumtree is not all innocent but in this case I want it to be as I'm looking for a place to live and this sounds perfect. Perhaps too good to be true. Let me know what you think?

Saw an ad on gumtree, rent is very low and included bills, house is fully furnished, sounds just lovely. I emailed the advertiser and he replied the next day explaining he has moved to Spain for work, he works in a hospital, apoligised for his poor English, asked me a little about me, and gave some more details of the apartment. I reply, answer his questions, request a viewing and I get this response :

I forwarded Your request to rent my Flat to the Council according to the Rent Stabilization Law of 1969 . Admin. Code Sections 26-501 -- 26-520
The City Rent Stabilization Law (RSL) is the fundamental statute establishing Rent Stabilization regulation in City, and through the Rent Stabilization Code, is administered by the State Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR). E stablished in 1969, the RSL is a modification and successor regulatory scheme to Rent Control. As Rent Control apartments become vacant, they normally become subject to Rent Stabilization.
I want to let you know that i have just receive a call from the Council That i should give you a trial in renting my Flat and you should go through the normal Process in doing this and that is you will have to make a refundable security deposit of 1 month rent to the council in which when it has been confirmed received,i will come down and Show you the Apartment and if and if not you rent the Apartment the deposit will be refunded back to you .
So get back to me as soon as possible if you are only interested.

NOTE:I attached a security deposit demand letter given to me by the council to this message.

There is a pdf attached which I have not opened (I'm sure a pdf should be fine as its not an executable but just to be safe...) but this message means not a lot to me, other than I need to part with £300 before a viewing can take place, which instantly rings alarm bells. Does anyone know what this deposit scheme thing is, has anyone heard of this type of scam before, etc?

All help would be great as I don't want to send a rude "how stupid do you think I am" reply just yet. :)
Cheers

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    Also, I googled the email address in case there were reports of the same scam before, and a few other terms of lingo, but found nothing.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highly likely the pdf form will want enough details to steal your identity/bank details. Sounds like a classic scam.

I've seen very similar stories before using this technique.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    If you are suspicious enough to think it might be a scam and post on here to have your suspicions confirmed then I would say run a mile. I can think of no reason to part with cash before you see the place.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Rent Stablization Law of 1969 seems to only apply in the US and not in the UK assuming that this place is in the UK?

You should be okay opening a PDF file to check but I'd proceed with caution. Sounds dodgy to me, I'd see how well the English is on the letter and then ring up the council involved (using their official number not the one from the letter in case it's a mate of his) and talk to them.
    Forum Member
    Gadget Guy wrote: »
    If you are suspicious enough to think it might be a scam and post on here to have your suspicions confirmed then I would say run a mile. I can think of no reason to part with cash before you see the place.

I'm on here because I know nothing of deposit law, and wondered if anyone had heard of this system, since I have not.
    I am suspicious obviously, but I can usually spot a scam a mile off and this one (if it is one) is very well pulled off.
  • c3pod4qpc3pod4qp Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jodzybob wrote: »
    Now I know that gumtree is not all innocent but in this case I want it to be as I'm looking for a place to live and this sounds perfect. Perhaps too good to be true. Let me know what you think?

Saw an ad on gumtree, rent is very low and included bills, house is fully furnished, sounds just lovely. I emailed the advertiser and he replied the next day explaining he has moved to Spain for work, he works in a hospital, apoligised for his poor English, asked me a little about me, and gave some more details of the apartment. I reply, answer his questions, request a viewing and I get this response :

I forwarded Your request to rent my Flat to the Council according to the Rent Stabilization Law of 1969 . Admin. Code Sections 26-501 -- 26-520
    The City Rent Stabilization Law (RSL) is the fundamental statute establishing Rent Stabilization regulation in City, and through the Rent Stabilization Code, is administered by the State Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR). E stablished in 1969, the RSL is a modification and successor regulatory scheme to Rent Control. As Rent Control apartments become vacant, they normally become subject to Rent Stabilization.
    I want to let you know that i have just receive a call from the Council That i should give you a trial in renting my Flat and you should go through the normal Process in doing this and that is you will have to make a refundable security deposit of 1 month rent to the council in which when it has been confirmed received,i will come down and Show you the Apartment and if and if not you rent the Apartment the deposit will be refunded back to you .

NOTE:I attached a security deposit demand letter given to me by the council to this message.

There is a pdf attached which I have not opened (I'm sure a pdf should be fine as its not an executable but just to be safe...) but this message means not a lot to me, other than I need to part with £300 before a viewing can take place, which instantly rings alarm bells. Does anyone know what this deposit scheme thing is, has anyone heard of this type of scam before, etc?

All help would be great as I don't want to send a rude "how stupid do you think I am" reply just yet. :)
    Cheers

It is a scam. The Rent Stabilization Law of 1969 is enacted in New York City, USA. Admin. Code Sections 26-501 -- 26-520 are titled 'Findings and declaration of emergency' and 'Expiration date' respectively.

This con artist has copied and pasted sections of this regulation from the internet in the hope of parting you from your money.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See http://www.tenant.net/Rent_Laws/RSL/rsltoc.html

The reply from your potential landlord sounds like utter nonsense. No doubt it's just an attempt to get a deposit out of you. I'd look elsewhere, anyway.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the ways these scams work is by someone obtaining loads of deposits from different potential renters before running off with them. The classic warning light here is that you have said the rent is very low. This is the common bait to lure in as many people as possible before skipping the country with their deposits.
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone.

Why whenever something sounds too good to be true, it always is? Why can't I just be given a really good deal? Huh?

Back to the search then.
  • zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Shadow27 said, you only have to google "Rent Stabilization Law of 1969" to find that it's a New York Law. He got a call from the council? Are you on benefits and asked if he would accept the council paying the rent then? The council would never contact someone like that.
    Definite scam.

*edit - as others said already! Got distracted and was a little slow posting that :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    If I was looking to rent a place, i would only go through well recognised agency, small ads especially free ones are the ideal place to run a scam from...
    Forum Member
    I've decided to persue and better paid job, and then hopefully I can afford a decent place to live, and I won't have to resort to gumtree for these things. Although I found my current home on there, £200 a month all bills included for a house share. We're still waiting for the bathroom window to be fitted but other than that......
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was looking to rent a place, i would only go through well recognised agency, small ads especially free ones are the ideal place to run a scam from...

brilliant advice we as a family did it whilst looking for a proper house I strongly suggest OP do down this route.

theres a lot of people out there at the moment playing on the fact rented homes are very much in demand.

it also works out should any problems with the heating or something really important happen its the Agencies place to get it sorted for you ASAP that always isnt the case with a private rental.

the only thing they must ensure is a Gas Safety Certificate.
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    100% scam. I had the same thing literally weeks ago. Put an ad on gumtree looking to rent somewhere, got a reply from someone with poor English. They had a4 bed house, sky tv, bt, internet, wooden floors, massive TV, etc etc all for £300 odd a month.......in London.

Said I had to pay money before though to prove i was genuine. Very long email.

The attachment for a form i wad advised to take to any western union bank!!

These people make me sick, targeting anyone now, and me, clearly putting in ad that I was a single mother. Def a scam.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something similar happened to me.

Was offered a place in a lovely flat - but they wanted me to pay a deposit before arranging a viewing, and when I said I'd be in the area to view flats over a certain couple of days, they happened to be 'working' in another country during those days. They promised to post me keys and all that beforehand, and forwarded me a picture of a passport, to show how 'genuine' they were.

I just forwarded everything onto the police. I hadn't fallen for the scam but others could have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's also worth remembering that many (if not all) councils in the UK don't take kindly to their tenants subletting their flats/houses. I've never heard of any council telling an existing tenant to give a prospective subletter a trial run in one of their properties - in fact, people who sublet their council properties don't usually like the council to know anything about it because doing so could put their own right to live there at risk. This person has just told you about the trial run & the refundable deposit to make you think that it's too good an opportunity to miss, as there's so little risk involved. It's a scam from beginning to end.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This looked familiar..., came up not so long ago

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1109448

It's one variant of what's known as advance fee fraud

Oh, and pdfs do occasionally contain exploits - make sure your reader is fully upto date with the latest patches:
    http://www.adobe.com/support/security/
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh and one more thing - this might make you feel a bit better

http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1175752#1175752
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite apart from its citation of irrelevant legislation as already mentioned, the syntax of the message should in itself raise some alarms:
    The City Rent Stabilization Law (RSL) is the fundamental statute establishing Rent Stabilization regulation in City, and through the Rent Stabilization Code, is administered by the State Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR). Established in 1969, the RSL is a modification and successor regulatory scheme to Rent Control. As Rent Control apartments become vacant, they normally become subject to Rent Stabilization.

(and that's by no means an exhaustive list!)
  • rob1973rob1973 Posts: 4,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A girl I work with had a similar experience on Gumtree. The guy claimed to be a Pastor, asked her to make a refundable deposit etc, she suspected a scam straight off the bat but I told her to play along with it. After a few emails we worked out it was a nigerian scammer.

Walk away OP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why would u need to pay a deposit/money before veiwing away??!stay clear!:)
  • FieldfareFieldfare Posts: 2,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, just posting an update to this story, article in today's Guardian here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog/2010/feb/15/scamsandfraud-property
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    NathalieR wrote: »
    100% scam. I had the same thing literally weeks ago. Put an ad on gumtree looking to rent somewhere, got a reply from someone with poor English. They had a4 bed house, sky tv, bt, internet, wooden floors, massive TV, etc etc all for £300 odd a month.......in London.

Said I had to pay money before though to prove i was genuine. Very long email.

The attachment for a form i wad advised to take to any western union bank!!

These people make me sick, targeting anyone now, and me, clearly putting in ad that I was a single mother. Def a scam.

The words 'Western Union' should always set alarm bells ringing. Fraudsters are notorious for using this method for payment by unsuspecting folk.