Options

Why hasn't Alesha Dixon done as well as Cheryl?

Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
Forum Member
✭✭✭
She's just as beautiful, really sweet and was part of a hugely successful girl-band, her marriage also fell apart by the way of infidelity.. sure she won SCD but she was massacred when she joined the panel due to her lack of knowledge (Cheryl doesn't have much either) Cheryl's career goes from strength to strength having allegedly won a hotly vied for role on USXF.

Alesha dixon is about to be dropped.

Comments

• Options
    funcifunci Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's just as beautiful, really sweet and was part of a hugely successful girl-band, her marriage also fell apart by the way of infidelity.. sure she won SCD but she was massacred when she joined the panel due to her lack of knowledge (Cheryl doesn't have much either) Cheryl's career goes from strength to strength having allegedly won a hotly vied for role on USXF.

Alesha dixon is about to be dropped.

Cheryl replaced that miserable old hag Sharon who knows NOTHING about pop music.

Alesha replaced someone with a wealth of knowledge and experience for no other reason than she was a bit of eye candy.

I love Alesha and think she is far prettier and talented than Cheryl. I think her downfall has been bad management.
  • Options
    TipptopTipptop Posts: 991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly because she didn't get the break that Cole did, by not being picked by Simon Cowell. Plus she seems to have more of a brain and comes across a bit more bitchy more willing to fight for herself where as Cheryl seems more sweeter(sic). Looks and talent wise there on a par and but Cheryl got a lot more publicity about her marriage break up somehow being a bigger victim because Ashley is more A list where as when Alesha married Harvey everyone knew he was a dog but she didn't have the brains to cop on so very little sympathy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    I think you need to research on Alesha, she had done quite well for herself on the past 6-years aperaing in videos for various big pop acts as well as her own chart success, albeit cheryl due to her conection with will.i.am has helped cheryl alot.
    Alesha has connextions with Pharrel williams who is very big in the US and taken more seriously then Will.i.am.
    I think Alesha is over the striclty stuff, and so is m ost people I think. I just think of her as one of the panel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Cheryl has shown herself, that she is not that knowledgeable when it comes to pop and takes the opportunity to overshadow her proteges by competing with them in the charts. Alesha is also intelligent and tends to conduct herself really well. She also does work really hard and looks comfortable and gives her all on stage.
  • Options
    maureensmaureens Posts: 13,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one name helped Cole and that is "Simon Cowell". it shows you friends in high places and all that, also now she is clinging on to him with Will-i -am and that dancer who just won the dancing with the stars in the US to help make her name over in the states.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if race is a factor?
  • Options
    funcifunci Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Cheryl has shown herself, that she is not that knowledgeable when it comes to pop and takes the opportunity to overshadow her proteges by competing with them in the charts. Alesha is also intelligent and tends to conduct herself really well. She also does work really hard and looks comfortable and gives her all on stage.

She is intelligent, but her grammar is appalling!
  • Options
    avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bunny55 wrote: »

I don't think so. I think Simon Cowell is a huge factor though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bunny55 wrote: »

I think you may be right. And Cheryl won it.
  • Options
    lucy manelucy mane Posts: 10,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon Cowell
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    I think you may be right. And Cheryl won it.

& thumped it...........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but Alesha is sellable. Why hadn't a bigwig decide to make Alesha his project.

Pharell is pretty irrelevant right now.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alesha is effectively a nice person I think, but she's very out of her depth on Strictly and it does show. The BBC offered her the judging job to make her Strictly's "Cheryl", without giving it much thought. That's the main part of the problem and also that she doesn't feel the need to live her life through the media like Cheryl does.

Unlike Alesha, I don't think Cheryl is a nice person at all. I think she's cold, fake, hard faced and sullen. But she's been media trained within an inch of her life and hides behind her painted smile on the X Factor. She also has the Cowell machine behind her.

I also don't think Cheryl is all that pretty either. She's too thin, her heads too big for her body now and she looks about ten years older than she actually is.
  • Options
    slslsslsls Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon Osborne quit the X Factor of her own accord. Arlene Phillips was pushed, probably because of her age.

It kind of reflected badly on Alesha that she took at job in that situation.

Plus she's very anodyne, hasn't made a big impression and often seems out of her depth.

She's a really sweet girl and I think she went through a much harder time than Cheryl did when her marriage broke up and I like a lot of her music but it just wasn't the right platform for her. She was drowned out by the other judges.
  • Options
    Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alesha is effectively a nice person I think, but she's very out of her depth on Strictly and it does show. The BBC offered her the judging job to make her Strictly's "Cheryl", without giving it much thought. That's the main part of the problem and also that she doesn't feel the need to live her life through the media like Cheryl does.

Unlike Alesha, I don't think Cheryl is a nice person at all. I think she's cold, fake, hard faced and sullen. But she's been media trained within an inch of her life and hides behind her painted smile on the X Factor. She also has the Cowell machine behind her.

They're actually good friends.

for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJQdQTxL4tI
  • Options
    KeelbootsKeelboots Posts: 1,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alehsa's girl band wasnt a ssuccesful as Girls Aloud, and she is the wrong skin colour(not being racist its true British media doesnt support black celebs/singers much.) and she isnt on X Factor obviously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they were as successful probably even more. Their 1st album went double plat, Second went platinum. Then they were making waves in the states and got a top 40 hit and had in total 7/8 top 10 hits before spliting when telestar went bust for pouring money into Beckham's songs.
  • Options
    Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they were as successful probably even more. Their 1st album went double plat, Second went platinum. Then they were making waves in the states and got a top 40 hit and had in total 7/8 top 10 hits before spliting when telestar went bust for pouring money into Beckham's songs.

Girls Aloud have probably sold twice as much. MisTeeq had no longevity.
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Cheryl isn't a nice person but she puts on a good act. Alesha is almost as talentless and very annoying.
  • Options
    RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's been successful given that her band wasn't huge (despite their success they were never as big publicity wise as the Spice Girls or Girls Aloud, even the Sugababes), and that her bandmates sank without trace.

She married a c list celeb not an England footballer, who cheated on her with a z list singer. She doesn't particularly court the media like Miss Tweedy, and has a fairly private life (she wouldn't name her last boyfriend to protect his privacy).

She's undoubtedly gorgeous and very talented and seems to be a nice girl to boot. I think the whole 'nations sweetheart' thing goes to one girl every few years or so, mixed in with 'tabloid favourites' and the like. It doesn't mean she isn't successful.

In fact, to be honest, Strictly aside I think she'll have a stable career for many years to come, whereas the Coles, Katonas, Prices et al get a) boring and b) burn out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaspanic! wrote: »

maybe.. we'll never know. They were v popular back then..after Vic Beck's failed solo career, Telestar went bust. I'm not sure wherever the material belonged to the label which is probably why the girls decided to go about their business.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Cheryl isn't a nice person but she puts on a good act. Alesha is almost as talentless and very annoying.

I don't know if Cheryl is nice or not but Alesha certainly seems to be, and as for talent, it might not be your cup of tea but have you ever heard her sing live or MC? She's very good.
  • Options
    slslsslsls Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaspanic! wrote: »

Misteeq were really big at the time. And they weren't dropped because they weren't selling, Victoria Beckham bankrupted their record label so they shut and they lost their deal.

Everybody knew who the 'Misteeq Ladies' were and if circumstances hadn't conspired against them they could have been much more successful.

All Vickie B#s fault I'm afraid!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe.. we'll never know. They were v popular back then..after Vic Beck's failed solo career, Telestar went bust. I'm not sure wherever the material belonged to the label which is probably why the girls decided to go about their business.

It's a bit odd but a lot of Telstar's artists weren't directly signed to them, they just had distribution rights. Mis-Teeq's songs were licenced to a Limited company, Twenty-First Artists, which was once owned by Elton John but he sold it to Sanctuary. No idea if it's still going, but I would imagine the actual band make very little now in royalties and whatever leftover recordings there were weren't deemed financially viable as the sale rights were with a bankrupt firm.

A lot of people place blame on Telstar going bust on Victoria Beckham but she was a lot more successful than Rosie Ribbons and Clare Sweeney who took large advances and made nothing back for them. (Not that Beckham was generally successful; her album went only silver and failed to recoup even the marketing costs.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect Cheryl just wants it more so ''plays the game''. Alesha isn't the sort of person to change or toe the line in order to be what ''the machine'' wants. Integrity and being a tabloid/pop success don't really go together. ;)