Options

What advice would you give Cher now?

ManDingo1967ManDingo1967 Posts: 332
Forum Member
As Cher embarks upon a music career off the back of XF, what advice would you give her?

Obviously she has had loads of bad press. Should she engage a PR professional like Max Clifford to help counter this? What could she do to change the public's perception?

Should she disappear for a couple of years, maybe complete her education, before making a triumphant return to the charts or should she try to capitalise on the exposure from XF now?

Constructive advice welcome. Abuse not so much :)

Comments

• Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    she should go away for a few years - about ten:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She should learn how to take criticism.

Whenever she got criticism on the X Factor she always turned to Cheryl and Simon for reassurance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stay close with Cheryl and therefore will.i.am, two very good powerfull friends to have. And don't sign with Syco unless noone else is interested. Use them as a last resort.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Cher embarks upon a music career off the back of XF, what advice would you give her?

Obviously she has had loads of bad press. Should she engage a PR professional like Max Clifford to help counter this? What could she do to change the public's perception?

Should she disappear for a couple of years, maybe complete her education, before making a triumphant return to the charts or should she try to capitalise on the exposure from XF now?

She should strike now while the iron is hot. Listen to her industry backers and put together a nice commercial-yet-"edgy" album. Her perception is a zero problem. X-Factor is a glorified soap opera and she suffered from bad-editing and lies/exaggerations from the media, as is often the case with shows like this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Max Clifford NO. She needs to stay away from him. She needs the right people around her. I'm sure Cheryl will guide her. With the right producers and songwriters she'll have a hit record I think.

benami311 wrote: »
    She should strike now while the iron is hot. Listen to her industry backers and put together a nice commercial-yet-"edgy" album. Her perception is a zero problem. X-Factor is a glorified soap opera and she suffered from bad-editing and lies/exaggerations from the media, as is often the case with shows like this.

Agree completly.
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep as quiet as possible, make a fantastic album, and when she releases it try not to mention the x factor.
  • Options
    scorpion10scorpion10 Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    Keep her mouth shut at all times other than to sing/rap if she wants a career
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd tell her not to count her chickens before they've hatched.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Get some good advice, get a good deal, go away and work on an album until Matt, Rebecca and 1D have all faded...

...THEN release the single/album and see how it is received.

Although I don't see, apart from the link to Will.i.am how Cher L being close to Cher yl will help her?

Oh, and accept the fact that rapping, other than being her USP on the show, isn't the way sh's going to sell records
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    To smarten herself up and quickly get down to Tesco's ive heard there is a job vacancy there. Work on her attitude and to smile and be polite to the customers.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He said no abuse.......... >:( , you just can't stop can you lol?

I say quickly make an album but makes sure it's not rushed >_> as everyone knows about her ATM, lol her first audition got put on her "Youtube Re-wind" thing on the side of the main page, that's gonna bump up a lot of viewers.
  • Options
    RevenReven Posts: 2,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Publicly apologise to anyone she's behaved badly towards on the show. (Matt should do the same.) Promise to try do better in the future. Don't sign with SyCo as they probably won't know what to do with her. I'm sure she'll have lots of other offers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    I don't need to be Max Clifford to know that by being surly on the X Factor, she has effectively Stuck It To The Man as far as the NME is concerned. That's how I'd sell her.

My invoice is in the post.
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reven wrote: »
    Publicly apologise to anyone she's behaved badly towards on the show. (Matt should do the same.) Promise to try do better in the future. Don't sign with SyCo as they probably won't know what to do with her. I'm sure she'll have lots of other offers.

It's interesting that Matt (who I wanted to win) doesn't get anywhere near as much abuse as Cher and he has been fairly outspoken - but of course he has criticised unpopular contestants so it's OK. I'm sure Cher can be a nasty little brat but it's no worse.

Reading the comments from Will.i.am about how he'd wanted to sign her at judges' houses, I can't help but think that would have been a better path for her if it was a genuine desire rather than just the benefit of hindsight. Right now, she is committed to the X Factor tour and, after that, he is definitely the mentor she should be charming rather than Simon and even Cheryl as, being brutal, her career looks a bit precarious at the moment.

She's definitely got something, I just think X Factor handled her all wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two words. Grow and up.

She has the start of what could become a great talent, but she's not there yet. She should take the advice of people who know what they are talking about and hone her skills.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relax. Grow up. Learn how to work well with people. Even "the little people". Because you won't get anywhere without them. Learn how to express what you want/need without have a temper tantrum or resorting to emotional manipulation.
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member

A period of silence on her part would be welcome.

Thirty or forty years preferably,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    BP4L wrote: »
    Stay close with Cheryl and therefore will.i.am, two very good powerful friends to have. And don't sign with Syco unless no one else is interested. Use them as a last resort.
    Reading the comments from Will.i.am about how he'd wanted to sign her at judges' houses, I can't help but think that would have been a better path for her if it was a genuine desire rather than just the benefit of hindsight. Right now, she is committed to the X Factor tour and, after that, he is definitely the mentor she should be charming rather than Simon and even Cheryl as, being brutal, her career looks a bit precarious at the moment.

She's definitely got something, I just think X Factor handled her all wrong.

Could`t agree more....I know this will really p*ss off the Cher haters but she has obviously impressed a few of her contempories within the industry and if she does write her own lyrics then there`s a chance she may succeed.

Her duet with Will i`am was easilly the best of the night....and bang on the money.....I made a comment in another thread, pointing out that she both looked and sounded like a bona fide member of "The Black Eyed Peas"
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try to make it for a couple of years. If she dosen't make it then pay the £9000 tuition fees and go and do 'media studies' or some similar degree at uni and try to work in the industry from the other side?

Then spend 30 years paying off her debt to society
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member

The "bad press" was usually from the Daily Fail who as we know has been telling lies throughout the entire show. It will be forgotten by the new year.

I'd tell to her to work with Will.i.am and learn everything she can then go foward from.

Lastly I'd tell when she has enough money to sue the Daily Fail for libel :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Learn to accept criticism with good grace there might be something you can learn from and develop from it. People around you have many years experience in a cut throat business. They are not all out to get you.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She needs to go to America & let Will.I.Am manage her.

He seems to be quite keen on her & he's a big time producer, so if she's got someon of his calibre wanting to work with her, she's won a significant battle.

Most of all, she needs to listen until she wises up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please don't sing any more John Lennon songs.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ardwark wrote: »
    Learn to accept criticism with good grace there might be something you can learn from and develop from it. People around you have many years experience in a cut throat business. They are not all out to get you.

This.

Stand up for yourself by all means but learning some humility and dignity will go a long way
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Learn to sing and get herself a bit of humility.