Options

Is Vista with all the updates now as good as W7?

2»

Comments

• Options
    dave81ukdave81uk Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would I be right in viewing Vista and W7 the same as 2000 and XP? 2000 like vista being the trial before they got it right with XP?
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave81uk wrote: »
    Would I be right in viewing Vista and W7 the same as 2000 and XP? 2000 like vista being the trial before they got it right with XP?

No you wouldn't but some do
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave81uk wrote: »

I'd say Windows Me was a trial - it was awful :D
  • Options
    dave81ukdave81uk Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I'd say Windows Me was a trial - it was awful :D

It wasn't great, the most common thing I got with ME was that damn blue screen of death.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    They might have saw someone using it.

My dad uses W7 and he's always showing me some of its new features and talking about it. I pretend to be interested of course :p
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    To put it in a short way, NO, Vista has improved over time with Service Packs and Patches but W7 was running good from the get go, no any patches and Service Packs that improve performance on Vista will most likely improve performance EVEN MORE on W7.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Nope.
    It takes my laptop at least 3 minutes to boot with vista, windows 7 on my desktop 2 minutes or less. And the laptop is running less programs at startup.
    Vista insists on asking permission [user account control] on everything administrative even if you are using the admin account, windows 7 reduces half of these messages because it knows your using the admin account.

The service packs haven't improved vista, only added to the amount of HDD space the OS now uses.

Not exaclty an apples to apples comparison.

But I can say that win7 booted quite fast on an older core duo laptop, so it can be zippy, I never tested vista and win7 on the same exact hardware though. Desktop is bound to be faster, esp than an old laptop with old slow drives and such.

Install process on slightly older hardware with win7 goes surprislingly smoothly as well.
  • Options
    DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope people realise that we couldn't have had Win 7 be as good as it is without going through Vista first. MS introduced a new driver model and it took time for hardware manufacturers to catch up, they changed the user accounts from admin to lower privileges for the first time, they gave clear guidance to app devs about where to store app data and on and on.

Win 7 is really benefiting from all the hard work done by Vista.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad uses W7 and he's always showing me some of its new features and talking about it. I pretend to be interested of course :p

Like you do :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Did Vista every change its approach to security with its service packs? The hot idea behind Vista was that it was supposed to save the user from himself. This is conceptually impossible... and only resulted in them clicking through dialogue boxes on autopilot. Vista tried to stop me saving my own files on the C: drive and one day locked me out of them. And I was the only one who logged on, always as administrator...
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    I hope people realise that we couldn't have had Win 7 be as good as it is without going through Vista first. MS introduced a new driver model and it took time for hardware manufacturers to catch up, they changed the user accounts from admin to lower privileges for the first time, they gave clear guidance to app devs about where to store app data and on and on.

Win 7 is really benefiting from all the hard work done by Vista.

That's not an opinion you see very often. But it's spot on.