Keeping email address if change broadband provider

Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm being called fairly frequently by a guy at BT tyrying flog a broadband/phone call package. On the face of it it seems like a better deal than I have at the moment but I don't want to lose my email address, which is @tiscali.co.uk.

I've googled this but there are conflicting stories. The guy at BT says he thinks I have the right to keep it if I terminate my current contract (owned by talktalk now) but I'm not at all confident of that.

Anybody know what the true story is?

Comments

• edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's telling you porkies. Any address using @tiscali.co.uk belongs to TalkTalk, not to you.

The best way to avoid this ever happening is to pay for your own domain, for example @keefy-boy.co.uk, then set it up to forward mail to whatever provider you choose.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on your ISP. My sister was with NTLWorld and left them but was still able to access their mail for 2 years via webmail until they changed domain name,

Other places I have know for e-mail account to be deleted within days of an account being closed.

You definitely don't have any 'rights' to keep it as its owned and hosted by the ISP and its part of the service that you pay for.

I would suggest you move to web based e-mail such as hotmail to save this hassle in the future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyfriend works for Talk Talk Business - advised that you usually lose the email. For Business, Tiscali would possibly keep it open for a small monthly fee. But he doesn't know with regards to residential.

I guess the best thing to do would be call them and ask?
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the helpful replies I think I'll stay put for now.

As for calling tiscali/talktalk and asking them I'd place even less reliance on anything their first-line call operators say than the bloke from BT!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Thanks for all the helpful replies I think I'll stay put for now.

As for calling tiscali/talktalk and asking them I'd place even less reliance on anything their first-line call operators say than the bloke from BT!

From what the fella was saying, residential customer service is somewhere in India - Business however, is based around the UK.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sahalouise wrote: »
    From what the fella was saying, residential customer service is somewhere in India - Business however, is based around the UK.
    My account is in the name of a limited company and charged to a company credit card but the account is classed as residential by them. I've never had the energy or inclination to rectify it!
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Depends on your ISP. My sister was with NTLWorld and left them but was still able to access their mail for 2 years via webmail until they changed domain name,

I was an NTL cable customer until 2006 but left because they had "no plans" to provide broadband. Since then I've had broadband from at least four companies but I still get any emails addressed to my old ntlworld email address. I just can't send emails using that address.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    Call Tiscali and see if they will match the deal. They might. I got my broadband down to 6.99 a month from 20 after I called them and threatened to leave.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a tiscali.co.uk email address. I've never been a Tiscali (or Talk Talk) customer. But I did acquire that email address a long time ago (it was originally a lineone email address, over ten years ago, long before they were purchased by Tiscali), when you could just log on to the site and register an email address with them, without paying for any of their services. Whether that offer still exists or not I don't know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's entirely down to the provider. Some will close it down when you leave, others will let you continue to use it.

As others have suggested, it's best to use either a webmail service or your own domain.

I've never used ISP e-mail addresses for anything other than throwaway.
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    I've got around this in past by not closing the account but downgrading to pay-as-you-go dialup instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on ukonline,until 2007, then changed over to Sky. Kept my ukonline addy until earlier this year, when ukonline finally closed.
    Haven't been with Sky since Oct last year, yet am still using my Sky addy. No problems sending or receiving, either through their website, as an added account on Windows Live or OE
  • PapaLazarou999PapaLazarou999 Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on aol for years and my emaill address was aol.com

I changed over to Sky(why not have a look how much they charge,Ive saved loads of money!),this was about 6 months ago and im still using my aol.com email address,its never been deleted or taken off me.

Well not yet anyway!!:(