Options

Trivial things that annoy you intensely.

Comments

• Options
    alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    people who talk through yawning

Yes. And people who talk through laughing.....................

............like Carol Klein on Gardeners' World!:eek:
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    I went on one Trivia site about movies to find out one or two top ten lists and it had that much spam connected to it that I just gave up.

Recipe web sites are often like that. They're obviously just "carriers" for advertising, with a few recipes gathered up from god-knows-where.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    People who refer to magazines as books. I don't understand why they do that. They are really not the same thing, and they have their own separate words, so why not use them? Also no one ever calls a book a magazine do they?
  • Options
    JayHunterJayHunter Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Studded 80s Goth belts:mad:
  • Options
    Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    When I typing out a very thoughtful and clever post, only to find out when I hit the submit button, the thread has been deleted :mad:

:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    People who "take" a bath rather than "have" a bath.

People who say "sconn" instead of "scohne".

People who say the letter H as "haitch" instead of "aitch".

It would be better for the human race if we had compulsory sterilisation for the above people.
  • Options
    alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    It would be better for the human race if we had compulsory sterilisation for the above people.

Ooh! That's a wee bit harsh, isn't it? I would propose laws to prohibit everything that has been mentioned in this thread so far. Then we'd all be happy! :)

Anyhow! Any Scot will tell you that 'scone' is pronounced 'sconn' except in the case of the Stone of Scone when it is pronounced 'skoon'. Any other pronunciation is merely a Sassenach aberration! :yawn:
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that not all mobile phones are not impact, dust & water resistant.

Why make something that is so costly; that is designed to be carried constantly & not make it tough enough to survive the rigours of life?
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    People who are described as going 'up' to Oxford or Cambridge University and then coming 'down' from Oxford/Cambridge after they've graduated. Arrogant bollocks.

People who say they 'take' a newspaper; no, you bought a newspaper and then read it.

When football fans refer to their team as 'we', no you just sat on your arse watching a team of overpaid semi-educated strangers play.
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alycidon wrote: »
    Ooh! That's a wee bit harsh, isn't it? I would propose laws to prohibit everything that has been mentioned in this thread so far. Then we'd all be happy! :)

Anyhow! Any Scot will tell you that 'scone' is pronounced 'sconn' except in the case of the Stone of Scone when it is pronounced 'skoon'. Any other pronunciation is merely a Sassenach aberration! :yawn:

Besieds which, Mary Berry says it's sconn, and that's good enough for me :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jo2015 wrote: »
    People who are described as going 'up' to Oxford or Cambridge University and then coming 'down' from Oxford/Cambridge after they've graduated. Arrogant bollocks.

Following on from that...

People who "read" their subject at University, rather than just "take", "study" or "do" it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member

People who "read" their subject at University, rather than just "take", "study" or "do" it.

Reading a subject at University is the correct term, especially if it's an arts style degree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rob551 wrote: »
    Reading a subject at University is the correct term, especially if it's an arts style degree.

It's pretentious, whether right or not.
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was about to type this after I saw the other post! I hate hate hate it! So pretentious, the only people I have ever heard use the term are typical RAH types though.

To the person who says it is the correct way, it isn't. This is the English language, there are few rules to language (any language) as it is something that evolves over time.

Nobody uses the term to "read X subject" nowadays except pretentious RAHs, and I should know, I spend my time surrounded by 13000 students day in and day out. It's a term used by people to make them feel better about themselves; once upon a time going to university was something only the elite and very best people could do, for the last couple of years it is something practically every 18 year old has done. Going to university nowadays is nothing special, or out of the ordinary, it is as common as using the toilet, so people have to get off on it in another way (usually by saying they're going to "Y" Russell Group university reading "Z" subject :rolleyes: ;) :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    I keep seeing the expression beyond happy, or beyond excited. So you're not happy or excited then? And if you are, just say you are!!
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    When girls or women hold jumper sleeves over their hands in a "cutesy" self-conscious way. Presumably to make them look fragile or something. My 14-year-old niece has been doing that lately. She constantly yanks her sleeves down to cover her hands, leaving just her finger tips on show.

She's also got in a habit of letting her hair crowd her face and eyes. She looks like a Bergamasco shepherd. Her friends have similar hairstyles. Why? Why?!

On a similar note the whole starting your parting just above your ear hairstyle annoys me. Just because you aren't bald doesn't stop it being a comb-over FFS!
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that my new glasses are taking so long to come into the shop. I remember when you could walk into Specsavers or equivalent and they were ready in an hour. Now they quote 10 working days !!!
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Underdog Claims advert - I've heard it on the grapevine enough already. - reaches for remote... :mad:
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    alycidon wrote: »
    Yes. And people who talk through laughing.....................

............like Carol Klein on Gardeners' World!:eek:
    OH God , she bugs the helll out of me with that laugh/ giggle at the end and middle of every single sentance .Boy George does it as well .................Ugghhh
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who state that something is "110%" correct.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    People who are described as going 'up' to Oxford or Cambridge University and then coming 'down' from Oxford/Cambridge after they've graduated. Arrogant bollocks..

It's convention, and perfectly acceptable at both universities.

People who don't respect that conventions and traditions exist and just call them arrogant/pretentious irritate me intensely.

As do people who seem to use pretentious for the sheer hell of it whenever anything remotely archaic is mentioned.

To the person who says it is the correct way, it isn't. This is the English language, there are few rules to language (any language) as it is something that evolves over time.

Nobody uses the term to "read X subject" nowadays except pretentious RAHs, and I should know, I spend my time surrounded by 13000 students day in and day out.

People do use it, and I spend my days surrounded by university students as I am one.

People who say "sconn" instead of "scohne"..

'Sconn' is the correct pronounciation as far as I'm concerned. People who say 'scohne' irritate me.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I tend to say Haitch as well. Im always on the phone quoting policy numbers which often have a H in them, so I say "Haitch for Harry". It doesnt sound right if you said "Aitch for Harry".

Yes it does.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    Yes it does.

Seconded.

An Aitch is an Aitch; simple really.
  • Options
    FlufanFlufan Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seconded.

An Aitch is an Aitch; simple really.

Thirded.

Although even Cherie Lunghi has been known to get it wrong - link.

Two of my peeves are:

- when people think that the past tense of "to text" is "text". As in, "I text him last night and he text me straight back..." Always sounds like "tecksed" to me....

- when people make some sarcastic statement and then add an emphatic "NOT!" to the end, eg: "That Justin Bieber is such a good role model in so many ways. Not!" Anyone talking like that is hopefully of an age to actually be a fan, as that sort of thing should have been left behind in the playground!
  • Options
    Invent MeridianInvent Meridian Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flufan wrote: »
    "I text him last night and he text me straight back..."

"One sent an electronic message comprising of reading matter to a person, whom replied instantaneously".
This discussion has been closed.