Options

Help with a man! (please)

Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been friends with a guy for almost 10 years. We met at university. All my friends were telling me that he had a crush on me. I was never attracted to him though.

He was an exchange student from abroad and left a year later. However, it so happens that he lives about 20 minutes from my parents' home (they are also abroad). In these 10 years he has always initiated contact with me and my parents and our families became good friends. He always rings everytime he thinks I'm coming to visit my parents and we regularly meet his parents. He has even stayed over at my parents' house (whilst I was away) and I let him stay in my house when he came to England (again whilst I was away).

Over the years, absolutely everyone who knew us has been telling me that he's in love with me. My parents are crazy about him (especially after the morons I usually bring home :o ) and we have had many arguments about me being an utter idiot for refusing to go out with him. He's quite a handsome guy, very smart and very successful in his career.

He has never explicitly asked me out, but in any event, I felt absolutely no physical attraction to him whatsoever. I've tried to avoid seeing him, never responded to his texts or emails, never returned his calls. Yet he still liked me!

In the meantime I've got married, divorced and have a 3-year-old (who he has met on several occasions). For some insane reason that no one can explain, he still likes me and still comes over to see my parents. Anyway, this is just background information.

The thing is... after spending time with him yesterday (he came over with his parents) I'm starting to warm to the idea of being with him. I feel quite the idiot not to have seen what a great catch he was.

My question is, how do I even start to approach the subject after we've been in the "friends zone" for so many years?? I don't think I've ever voluntarily called him up to just chat, so it would be completely out of character for me to ring him. What do I even say? Does he only like me because he can't have me? Ahhhh!! I'm confused and I need to act fast, as I'm going back to the UK very soon.

Any ideas?? Thanks! :D

Comments

• Options
    Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly are you sure that you do like him as more than mates and it's not just because everyone has been telling you how great he is all the while? If so, then just be straight with him, tell him you'd like to be more than friends and take it from there. It's not like he's a stranger and you have to get to know him, so you must already know his habits and quirks and if you could deal with that and vice versa. Therefore honesty is the best policy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly are you sure that you do like him as more than mates and it's not just because everyone has been telling you how great he is all the while? If so, then just be straight with him, tell him you'd like to be more than friends and take it from there. It's not like he's a stranger and you have to get to know him, so you must already know his habits and quirks and if you could deal with that and vice versa. Therefore honesty is the best policy.

I think the reason I've never liked him was because my family loved him so much (I'm quite stubborn :o ) and yesterday I've seen him in a different light.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    I think the reason I've never liked him was because my family loved him so much (I'm quite stubborn :o ) and yesterday I've seen him in a different light.

Ah I see what you mean, you like to be a rebel:D
    Well as long as you're sure you do, then just go for it and tell him how you feel and if he would like to progress things. If he gets on with your daughter then that's an added bonus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah I see what you mean, you like to be a rebel:D
    Well as long as you're sure you do, then just go for it and tell him how you feel and if he would like to progress things. If he gets on with your daughter then that's an added bonus.

"Progress" from what though?? We've never even been on a proper date. You need to guide me through the conversation :D How do I start? What do I say? Do I call him?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just make him a cup of tea then snog him.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After 10 years of feeling no attraction, I'd give it more than one incident of "warming to him" :eek:

Maybe just engineer it so you get to spend some more time together and let things progress naturally?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After 10 years of feeling no attraction, I'd give it more than one incident of "warming to him" :eek:

Maybe just engineer it so you get to spend some more time together and let things progress naturally?

It's weird. I can't explain it myself. The difficulty is that when he comes over, either his parents always come along or he spends time chatting to my dad about world affairs, so we don't really get to spend time alone. Even if we did, he would probably fall off the chair if I asked him out, as I've never shown any interest whatsoever.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My question is, how do I even start to approach the subject after we've been in the "friends zone" for so many years?? I don't think I've ever voluntarily called him up to just chat, so it would be completely out of character for me to ring him. What do I even say? Does he only like me because he can't have me? Ahhhh!! I'm confused and I need to act fast, as I'm going back to the UK very soon.

Any ideas?? Thanks! :D
    why not ring him up and ask him what he is doing for New Years Eve?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way, I'm simply assuming that he's single because his parents have never mentioned that he was seeing anyone and his mum hinted on many occasions what a shame it was that things "didn't work out between us". Given his looks and recent success in his career, I wouldn't expect him to remain single for much longer. He's also at the age where he's thinking about settling down and having a family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    why not ring him up and ask him what he is doing for New Years Eve?

His mum told him last night to invite me to the NYE party he was going to, but he never did. We all just laughed awkwardly.. (We're all grown-ups by the way :D:o )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His mum told him last night to invite me to the NYE party he was going to, but he never did. We all just laughed awkwardly.. (We're all grown-ups by the way :D:o )

Just mention the party and say you would quite like to go. No better place then to get a snog than a New Year's Eve party, then you can see if there is any real chemistry or not.
  • Options
    FlufanFlufan Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May I refer you to this timeless pearl from another "How do I...?" thread? That one didn't end well, though, so get in there sharpish!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flufan wrote: »
    May I refer you to this timeless pearl from another "How do I...?" thread? That one didn't end well, though, so get in there sharpish!

Haha! I would, but I only know his parents' address, so it might be his mum and dad opening the door :D I should have paid attention when he was explaining where he now lived, but who knew I'd ever need this information. :rolleyes:

I'm planning to have a drink tomorrow night and phone him to ask if he wants to see a movie :o Any good movies in the cinemas I could tempt him with?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Django Unchained
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will hopefully be able to give you an update tomorrow on whether we'll see each other again before I go back to England. I've had countless opportunities to get together with him over the years, but I've been rather awful to him. It would be sod's law if he turned me down now that I've finally changed my mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll only regret it if you don't. If it doesn't work out then it's not the end of the world, it just wasn't meant to be.
  • Options
    VisitingVisiting Posts: 40,112
    Forum Member
    You'll only regret it if you don't. If it doesn't work out then it's not the end of the world, it just wasn't meant to be.

I agree.
    Seriously,
    go for it, what have you got to lose?
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has this guy had any relationships in the last 10 years? Or has he just been pining for you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Has this guy had any relationships in the last 10 years? Or has he just been pining for you?

I really don't know! I know he has had a relationship before we met because he told me about it when we were at uni, but since then we have never spoken about his love life. He's very serious and we usually talk work or politics or law (exciting! :D ) so it never really came up. I always found him to be a bit boring, but given the "excitement" I've had with useless men, I think it would be great to be with someone nice, calm and smart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really don't know! I know he has had a relationship before we met because he told me about it when we were at uni, but since then we have never spoken about his love life. He's very serious and we usually talk work or politics or law (exciting! :D ) so it never really came up. I always found him to be a bit boring, but given the "excitement" I've had with useless men, I think it would be great to be with someone nice, calm and smart.

What nationality is he or is that question too personal?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Visiting wrote: »
    What nationality is he or is that question too personal?

German
  • Options
    Forum Member
    German

I thought so.
    Well, let's put it that way: Can you envisage yourself in a long-distance relationship with him or can you see yourself moving to Germany to be with him?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how things would work about either of us moving, but I'd first need to seduce him into some wild romance. We both have quite good jobs and it would be difficult for either of us to re-qualify abroad. HOWEVER, it'll never even come up for discussion unless I make the first move so to speak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know how things would work about either of us moving, but I'd first need to seduce him into some wild romance. We both have quite good jobs and it would be difficult for either of us to re-qualify abroad. HOWEVER, it'll never even come up for discussion unless I make the first move so to speak.

Absolutely, but if this is going to be more than a wild and passionate romance it would be a good idea to ask yourself some tough questions. I know what I am talking about as I have been through that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Visiting wrote: »
    Absolutely, but if this is going to be more than a wild and passionate romance it would be a good idea to ask yourself some tough questions. I know what I am talking about as I have been through that sort of thing.

We have slightly different outlooks on life. I would quit my job if I had enough money to do so or made more money doing something else. He, on the other hand, wants to stay in a secure job that is very well-respected and "beneficial" to the community (in his eyes) but not extremely well-paid. He doesn't care about money and would dedicate his life to public service. Very unlike me :o