Options

Big Brother Auditions = Waste Of Time!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I've heard it from two different sources that Big Brother have already approached people for the next series of the show.
These could be considered "regular members of the public" but when you have producers sourcing housemates it really does detract yet again from the premise of the show.

I know this post looks like bullshhhht but I can assure you I'm aware of two people that have already had talks with producers, one of which didn't even fill out an application form!

Who are they? Well let's just say one would give Gina Rio a run for her "money" / The other would "take you out" in a heartbeat!

Is it fair that BB Producers search for HMs? Or are you fine with this method of selecting HMs? Do you feel that everyone should audition and be it audition fairly!!?

This isn't the first time that producers have been up to their tricks and it seems this year they're allegedly at it again!

What is the point of auditions if producers all ready have held talks with potential candidates!?!

Comments

• Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,495
    Forum Member
    As long as it's just one or two, I don't see the problem. BB's main priority, is to get the right balance of interesting HMs although if you look at last year's lot, you'd have to ask wtf were they thinking. If only one or two are genuine auditioners who've uploaded a video, then we have a problem.
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only one or two are genuine auditioners who've uploaded a video, then we have a problem.

This has been the case for years though...
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this has increasingly been the case for years, I don't like it, but I doubt they will change it just because the viewers or just me says it's not in the spirit of the show. So we either sit back and see where it takes us or we drive ourselves mad moaning about it. Not suggesting anyone so far has been moaning but I know I can get a bit moany when they spoil the show.
  • Options
    wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member
    It's why I don't think I will bother with BB any more, I loved the original format and I don't watch scripted reality any other time so why bother with this?!
    And actually come to think of it, BB are just relying on die-hard fans to remain loyal to the show which is why they do what they want, its a bit patronising really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it really make a difference how they source housemates? They're looking for people with particular psychological profiles and might need to look further than people attracted to the idea of their 15 minutes of fame. Where I baulk at the choice is when, like with Gina "Rio", housemates completely fabricate their backgrounds. They might as well recruit straight from drama school if the point is to bullshit the public.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it does matter, it means they are controlling the storyline even more if they can put in the people they want like that, also what about fairness people go through the interview process they should have a chance to be chosen.
  • Options
    Ms Ann ThropeMs Ann Thrope Posts: 7,213
    Forum Member
    It would be interesting to know how many HMs have been chosen from the auditions in each series.

Who can we ask?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sure but BB stopped being about having "ordinary" people and manipulating story lines has always been key to the show. It just took the audience time to wake up to how this was being done. Now it's a cliche.
  • Options
    wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    I think it does matter, it means they are controlling the storyline even more if they can put in the people they want like that, also what about fairness people go through the interview process they should have a chance to be chosen.

I agree it's practically run like a soap opera. It seems that roles and story lines are concocted and THEN the HM's chosen to fit those roles. It continues by BB manipulating the tasks and nominations to ensure their storyline goes to plan. Not what I signed up for, which is a shame from my POV because I loved seeing the natural interactions and the genuine way that relationships panned out in previous series.
  • Options
    bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember watching auditions for BB4 (I think) and they went into like a photo booth and were video'd.

There was this girl who was hilarious. Just naturally funny without trying. I had tears running down my face from the laughing. I thought she would definitely get in. And she wasn't dipsy. Just very very witty.

Not a sign of her. :(
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    The traditional auditions process increasingly become a failure as the show's popularity grew. The types of people auditioning were all the same, wannabes essentially after their 5 minutes.

I think fans of the show need to keep an open mind with regard to casting. If it makes for a better show, I'm all for it. Of course, the idea of BB fans keeping an open mind about anything is a big ask.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bootyache wrote: »
    I remember watching auditions for BB4 (I think) and they went into like a photo booth and were video'd.

Yes, that was great. I wish they'd bring that back. It was fascinating seeing what people would do and say to stand out from the crowd.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The selection process been contrived and controlled since BB1, it's just that it never bothered people until the later years. The producers know what stories they want to play out every year, it's very rare they'll allow something to play out which they haven't planned for.