Options

I hate to say it, but I fear that after tonight the tories have won the election

iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I would love to say anything different, but I can't deny that Cameron did better tonight.Miliband was torn apart on labours record,and with the tories already moving ahead in the polls I fear tonight may shift things descisively in favour of the tories. I now assume that David Cameron will continue as PM for 5 more years, maybe even with an overall majority. That saddens and scares me, but we all have to brace ourselves for what is to come in the years ahead. :(

Comments

• Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    As much as I would like that, by the time people vote other things would have happened, and people don't tend to base a vote on these debates.
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think people would want another 5 years of the Bedroom Tax, no matter how poor Labour are.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Tories won't with with the benefit cuts they are planning, the lies they've told etc
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soppyfan wrote: »
    I don't think people would want another 5 years of the Bedroom Tax, no matter how poor Labour are.

Either pay a small premium or move. Perfectly simple
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member

The bedroom tax does not effect many and you will probably find some Labour supporters that actually agree with it.
  • Options
    Sarah777Sarah777 Posts: 5,060
    Forum Member
    Look in another thread according to ICM 6% had changed their voting intentions tonight and out of those 32% would vote for LDs, 25% Tory and 20% Labour.
    According to ICM Clegg came bottom at 19%. My point is you never know what is going to make their minds up. If you are a true Labour be positive, only 7 days left.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    They were always going to win the most seats but there is no chance they will win a majority, the coalition is going to continue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AndyCopen wrote: »

Not as simple as that
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »

Assuming there is somewhere to move to, and that is the problem in the vast majority of cases there aren't. It is therefore a tax on people with nowhere else to go. No matter how much you want to pretend to yourself it isn't.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The definition of social housing:

Social housing is homes for the less well off who need housing and are provided by the state.

Therefore, the state decides what size property is appropriate for the people it provides to.

People who are single and who have a three bedroom house but do not need them should be living somewhere smaller. They are causing families to live in one bedroom bedsits or over populated hostels. So, if these people do not need the rooms but refuse to move to somewhere smaller, then they should pay extra so that the local authority can provide funding to build extra housing for those who need it.

Social housing is not a form of housing like "Escape to the Country" where you can pick and choose. If you want that privilege, rent privately.

Why do the left not see this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Assuming there is somewhere to move to, and that is the problem in the vast majority of cases there aren't. It is therefore a tax on people with nowhere else to go. No matter how much you want to pretend to yourself it isn't.

I do actually agree with this. The "bedroom tax" is a sound policy, but executed poorly. The local authority should first find available property for people to move to, if then tenants refuse to move the tax should be applied.
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    The bedroom tax does not effect many and you will probably find some Labour supporters that actually agree with it.

Well, there's an anti-BT group page on FB who say it is unfair.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they tories will have won because labour will allow them to lead a minority government.

labour and snp will be more effective dealing with the tories on an issue by issue basis
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to say anything different, but I can't deny that Cameron did better tonight.Miliband was torn apart on labours record,and with the tories already moving ahead in the polls I fear tonight may shift things descisively in favour of the tories. I now assume that David Cameron will continue as PM for 5 more years, maybe even with an overall majority. That saddens and scares me, but we all have to brace ourselves for what is to come in the years ahead. :(

Sounds like it hasn't changed many people's minds, exactly in the same place before it, should learn from 2010 that debate's dont have as much effect as you think they do
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

I know how you feel :(
  • Options
    Forum Member

I do think it is unfair

Those that refuse to move should have to pay it

Those that can't move should not have to pay it

Those that were not given the choice of where to move to and were given a place with too many bed rooms by the council should not have to pay it
  • Options
    shepster34shepster34 Posts: 1,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not a tax its a subsidy, there's a housing shortage, if you have a spare room then expect to pay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course they do. They've been made to pay more on a property that is dirt cheap to rent in the first place.
  • Options
    greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It ain't over till the fat lady sings
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member

There are many FB pages on many issues, many of them conflicting.

I am from a traditional Labour voting family that have never lived in a council property that actually believe that the bedroom tax has some credence.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    The Mail are comparing Ed's trip to Neil Kinnock on the beach.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cantos wrote: »

That's be cause they introduced it to private rented accommodation
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shepster34 wrote: »
    It's not a tax its a subsidy, there's a housing shortage, if you have a spare room then expect to pay.

And...................if you cannot afford to pay?

You've already said there's a housing shortage - so what's your next plan?
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah777 wrote: »
    Look in another thread according to ICM 6% had changed their voting intentions tonight and out of those 32% would vote for LDs, 25% Tory and 20% Labour.
    According to ICM Clegg came bottom at 19%. My point is you never know what is going to make their minds up. If you are a true Labour be positive, only 7 days left.

You cannot extrapolate that sample to the general population, the general population were not watching.

These panel votes mean nothing.

And to the theme of this thread, these poorly watched debates change nothing.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The labour leader is shite who finds himself discussing policy with Russell brand on YouTube. Not fit to be Prime Minister.