Options

Has Ann Widdecombe gone too far this time and crossed the line?

13»

Comments

• Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I listened to radio 4 yestersay?Never heard that.

Listen im not saying zero advances I am talking about hype about CURES!

You cannot cure a degenerative disease after the damage has been done but it can be slowed stopped and/or prevented.

At present work is being done one the genetic makeup of various proteins(?) associated with the disease.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ann Widdecombe is a complete melter.
  • Options
    PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Slowed maybe even to a snails pace but not stopped.

Annes contribution was not nuanced.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    Ann Widdecombe is a complete melter.

As in eyeball melter? Something similar to a basilisk, or Gorgon I presume.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not disputing there will be advances I am disputing hype around CURES!

Read my earlier post on threads page 1

I agree about 'cures'. The reality is often grey, as opposed to black or white.

I saw an article about Vitamin B and Alzheimers today but it wasn't about cures at all - just reductions and delaying of the disease.

"Smith and his colleagues at the Oxford Project to Investigate Memory and Ageing gave one group of people with MCI daily tablets comprising folic acid, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12, and another group a placebo. The vitamins were chosen because they control the amounts of an amino acid called homocysteine in the blood. High levels of homocysteine have been linked to a greater risk of Alzheimer's.

After two years participants' brains were examined using MRI scanners and their mental faculties assessed using tests of cognition. They found that those who had been receiving the supplements had experienced on average 30% less brain atrophy than those receiving the dummy pills. The former saw their brains shrink by 0.76% a year, while the placebo group saw theirs reduce by 1.08%. Those who started the trial with the highest levels of homocysteine experienced the greatest benefit – 50% less brain shrinkage."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/08/vitamin-b-could-delays-alzheimers
  • Options
    PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Vitamin story sounds great .I am pleased with the news and the lack of hype around it.:)

I like grey not black and white.Life is complex
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those of you who watch BBC1 on a Satruday wont be forgetting her so quickly, read in the paper today she's on Strictly Come Dancing this year.
    I'd hate to be her dancing partner, she'd be difficult to lift.

She's the second reason not to watch that awful show. The first, is the fact that the BBC are totally fixated about it. The morning 'news' programme will once again become the morning 'Strictly' programme, with every hideously boring detail mulled over.

Grrrr. I even HATE the way they shorten the bloody name! :mad:

Apologies for being off topic. :o
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    sutie wrote: »
    She's the second reason not to watch that awful show. The first, is the fact that the BBC are totally fixated about it. The morning 'news' programme will once again become the morning 'Strictly' programme, with every hideously boring detail mulled over.

No I agree with you completely. The BBC is fixated with it and assumes that everyone else is fixated with it too. I laughed like a cat when they put it up against the X Factor last year and it got thrashed in the ratings. I was forced to watch it for a few episodes last year and I thought it was utter drivel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Most people (like me) actually do enjoy the audition stages of shows like the X Factor and BGT as it can be bloody funny at times, it's when it gets to the boot camps/live shows that I switch off. I suppose that gives ITV something of an advantage as Strictly of course, doesn't have auditions.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You dont generally "Die" from Alzhemiers, anyway, you just suffer, or rather your loved ones suffer from it till you die, its a "living" death., So even if their was a "Cure" it wouldn't prolong your lifespan.
  • Options
    RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Her tits hang down like two sacks of spuds.

If she had twins she wouldn't even have to take them out of the cot to feed them.

So what :confused:
  • Options
    Crooks AwareCrooks Aware Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    sutie wrote: »

Don't worry SCD is on its way out, be cancelled after next year i bet.

:D
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she is concerned about the implications for the pensions burden on the public purse, it's literally a bit rich coming from someone on the super generous gold plated pension that ex-MPs get ...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Her tits hang down like two sacks of spuds.

If she had twins she wouldn't even have to take them out of the cot to feed them.

Very good :D
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    I like Ann Widdecombe. She speaks her mind and doesn''t give a flying fig what anyone else thinks.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Bagpipes wrote: »
    I like Ann Widdecombe. She speaks her mind and doesn''t give a flying fig what anyone else thinks.

Me too, one of the few MPs who didn't take the piss with expenses, she has strong morals and sticks to them.
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Talk about her misdeed on Newsnight!

Count me out then. I'm not allowed on Newsnight anymore...
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I am not disputing there will be advances I am disputing hype around CURES!

Read my earlier post on threads page 1

Did AW say there was going to be a cure forthcoming then?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member

I tend to think she suffers more from diarrhoea of the mouth and constipation of the brain.

The woman bears a striking rsemblance to a boulder. She is a walking, talking boulder. It's quite extraordinary.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like her too. Not her politics mind :eek:, but her personality.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't worry SCD is on its way out, be cancelled after next year i bet.
    Nooo! What would Bill Turnbull find to talk about on Breakfast if that happened? Not some item of news, surely? :eek: