Options

Merlin Series 5 - discussion, speculation and spoilers (in tags!) (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Morgana dies
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

My feelings on that option are as follows:

I shall be grumbling about the utter hash they've made of their own show and plotting to write my own epic AU, starting from the beginning and doing all the characters justice. My head is much happier there!
    MikeAP001 wrote: »
    I never knew that. :confused: Did she ever give the reason?

Well she was noticeably unhappy at the series 3 premier and I've heard her say that it isn't what she'd hoped for from the role...Tbh, the role just isn't very fulfilling for her. Once she became Arthur's love interest she had no other part in the show except in relation to Arthur or Lancelot. Alongside that she was written as all but too good. It simply wasn't very interesting! The dark!Gwen plot is the first time I've seen her genuinely excited about a storyline in a very long while.
  • Options
    MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I shall be grumbling about the utter hash they've made of their own show and plotting to write my own epic AU, starting from the beginning and doing all the characters justice. My head is much happier there!

Well she was noticeably unhappy at the series 3 premier and I've heard her say that it isn't what she'd hoped for from the role...Tbh, the role just isn't very fulfilling for her. Once she became Arthur's love interest she had no other part in the show except in relation to Arthur or Lancelot. Alongside that she was written as all but too good. It simply wasn't very interesting! The dark!Gwen plot is the first time I've seen her genuinely excited about a storyline in a very long while.
    Well, Angel Coulby should have lobbied the writers and show runners to have a Gwen Quest in S04 and S05 which wouldn't be the same as what she got.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Angel Coulby should have lobbied the writers and show runners to have a Gwen Quest in S04 and S05 which wouldn't be the same as what she got.

I have absolutely no doubt that Capps and Murphy don't listen to their actors and what they want AT ALL.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    I want 3. Sorry. :eek: :o

What why?
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Morgana dies

I would say highly likely IMO
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To each his own... Anyway, on a potentially more pleasant subject hypable has

A Month of ‘Merlin’: Predicting the end of the series (with poll)

http://www.hypable.com/2012/12/05/a-month-of-merlin/

1.The ret-con: Would the real King Arthur please stand up?
    Destiny is a tricky thing. Yet it also seems like by the show’s definition, it cannot be avoided. So far, everything that has been prophesied has come true, despite (or because) of Merlin’s attempts to avoid it. So it stands to reason that while Arthur is destined to die at Mordred’s hand, his joint destiny with Merlin which sees them uniting all of Albion will also have to happen in some way.

But barring a time jump/flash forward, there’s no way all of this can happen before the finale, right? Well, no, unless the Arthur we know is not actually the Arthur who will unite Albion. Think about it: the biggest discrepancy the show has made as far as the legends go is to make Arthur and Merlin the same age. We’ve seen a lot of things go from AU to Arthurian canon over the course of the series, including Morgana starting good but turning evil and Guinevere going from servant to queen, so perhaps this is another aspect which will have aligned itself with the legends by the end.

Here’s what will happen: Mordred kills Arthur at Camlann, as the prophecy says. But Gwen is pregnant, and gives birth to a son she names after his father. And it turns out that this is in fact the Arthur whom the dragon was referring to when he told Merlin that he and the king were two halves of a whole, and that they would unite Albion together. This would also make sense Arthurian legends-wise, because there is more than one historical figure who is said to have been THE King Arthur, and some say that the different people each embody one aspect of him. As such, Bradley James’ Arthur would be King Arthur, yes, and a lot of the original legends would refer to him (Uther being his father, Guinevere being his wife, and Lancelot, Gwaine etc. being his knights), but parts of the story – specifically the parts about Merlin helping him become the Once and Future King – would refer to his son. Arthur 2.0, if you will.

We’re gonna go out on a limb here and say that very few fans would be happy if this actually happened. Not only would it essentially nullify the “destiny aspect” of the Arthur/Merlin relationship, leaving a lot of viewers feeling very cheated, but it would also ret-con the entire series. We’d have to go back and look at every prophecy made about “Arthur,” and everything Kilgarrah ever told Merlin, and determine whether it was said about original!Arthur or Arthur Jr. We’d have to accept that we’d been essentially taken for a ride for five years, all for one spectacular bait-and-switch ending.

But despite the outrage from fans, and the inevitable plot holes that’d result from the twist, it would be a huge “gotcha!” moment and we’re not sure the writers would be able to resist that.

2. The season 1 callback: Arthur lives, but does Merlin?
    While the show has told us that Mordred is destined to kill Arthur, the legends actually tell a different story: it is uncertain whether Mordred actually killed Arthur at the Battle of Camlann, or fatally wounded him. If the latter is the case here, it would leave room for Merlin to desperately try to save Arthur any way he could, which we know he’d try to do.

And let’s say that Merlin actually finds a way to save Arthur, but it’d be similar to what Nimueh offered him in the season 1 finale: Merlin can save Arthur’s life and allow him to live and finally fulfill his destiny of bringing peace to Albion, but only by sacrificing the life of another. Like when Uther brought Arthur into the world and Ygraine paid the price, and when Merlin saved Arthur by taking Nimueh’s life.

There are two ways this could play out, then, depending on how intent the writers are to leave us sobbing into our Christmas pudding:

The uplifting ending: Yes, this is is a way for Merlin to actually end on a high note, and for fans to be left somewhat satisfied! Merlin agrees to save Arthur’s life at any cost, willing to sacrifice everyone and anyone to do it, and even offers up his own life in return. But by a twist of fate, the person who ends up paying the ultimate price (either unwittingly, or maybe even by her own free will) is Morgana, who then gets to semi-redeem herself. This way, Emrys does end up bringing about her downfall as the prophecy said, and all the good guys get to live!

The devastating ending: Of course another way this could all turn out is that Merlin saves Arthur’s life, but ends up actually giving his own life in the process, dying before he ever gets to see any of the things Arthur will go on to do because of his sacrifice. Arthur would be left with the knowledge that Merlin had been a sorcerer and given his life for his king, and this would be what he ultimately needed to accept that sorcery isn’t an evil thing, and allow magic back into his kingdom.

The fact that Merlin would finally get all the honour and respect he deserved only after he died would only serve to further twist the knife in our turkey-filled bellies. This is probably the ending which would divert most drastically from the original legends, in which Merlin is always left alive after Arthur dies, but it would be a way for the show to put its own unique spin on the story.

Hmmm. Guess which of these two endings we prefer?

3. The depressing ending: Mordred kills Arthur, there is no Golden Age
    The fandom has to prepare itself for every possible outcome, and perhaps this is why a lot of Merlin fans have begun to pessimistically view this theory as the one most likely to come true.

So far, all the signs are pointing to the fact that the end of Merlin will be pretty damn depressing. Not only has this season been a bit of a downer (sassy old lady Merlin aside), but in interviews, the actors have been gravely stating the inevitability of Arthur meeting the fate which Merlin saw in the season opener. Bradley James has even stated that if there is to be a movie, he probably won’t be in it.

Could they all be setting us up to expect one ending to throw us off the scent of what will really happen? Let’s hope so! But we can’t rule out the possibility that the “high note” which the show will apparently end on according to the cast is an emotional one, and that they’re gearing us up for some spectacular death and destruction. If Robin Hood has taught us anything it’s that yes, the BBC would.

Merlin will see Mordred cut down Arthur at Camlann, just like in the original legends. There isn’t time for a Golden Age between now and the finale, and it isn’t likely that Arthur will discover Merlin’s magic until the final episode or the one before (if he even does). Merlin has so far been unable to prevent any prophecies from coming true, and in fact the more he fights them, the more he just seems to help them along. What if this isn’t any different, and despite everything he does, Arthur still dies with his destiny left unfulfilled?

Of course, after this point there could be several final twists to tie up the story (see theories #1 and #5), but there might not be. This might just be the end of the series: Arthur dead, Guinevere ruling alone the best she can (or maybe Morgana even takes over Camelot again), Merlin sad and depressed knowing that he ultimately failed. Most likely we’d see Merlin fully embrace his Emrys side, left to wander the world alone.

But don’t worry, it’s Christmas. Santa is coming! Or… should we just tell the children the truth about him right now while we’re at it?

4. The happy ending: Everybody lives (for now?)
    Ultimately, most Merlin fans probably want the same thing: for Arthur to live and build the beautiful golden age future, with Merlin at his side as the official Court Magician. But most people agree that there just isn’t enough time for that, what with the final battle looming and Arthur’s fateful confrontation with Mordred imminent.

But what if that was all a ruse? Even though the legends say that Arthur’s final stand will be at Camlann, there is no reason for the show not to diverge somewhat from this and instead have Merlin, at the very last minute, find a way to stop it from happening. Maybe he manages to get through to Mordred, bringing him back to the good side – or maybe Mordred only thinks he killed Arthur, but it was all some elaborate trick. There are many ways the show could avoid that final confrontation and have Arthur live after all, if that’s the ending the writers are going for.

Or maybe the prophecy can’t be completely avoided, and really will come to pass one day, but not in the finale. Because while it is true that the legends of King Arthur say that he took his final stand at Camlann, and the finale will indeed depict the Battle of Camlann, who’s to say that this is the only battle which Arthur will ever fight there? Yes, Merlin’s vision of Arthur’s death saw him and Mordred at the ages they are now, but one could argue that this is because it’s a vision, and therefore to some extent it is timeless.

And isn’t it nice to imagine that the show is setting us up for this big, epic confrontation between Mordred and Arthur, which we all think we know how will play out, only to get there and say, “Oh! A wild happy ending appeared!” and let Mordred walk away while Arthur lives, the future still open before him?

And then after all has ended happily, the dragon might tell Merlin Arthur will eventually face down Mordred at Camlann, and this time he will die. But it is not today, nor for a long while. Thus, the series can end on a happy, optimistic note, having postponed the inevitable for some distant future point which we don’t have to worry about. Arthur survives, he discovers Merlin’s magic, and we are left knowing that the Golden Age of Albion and all of the wonderful things Arthur and Merlin will build together is still to come.

It’s a Christmas miracle!

5. The reincarnation: King Arthur is reborn in present day

A Month of ‘Merlin’: Predicting the end of the series (with poll)
    Share on Tumblr
    by Hypable Staff
    @hypable

Posted on 1:00 pm,
    December 5, 2012
    5. The reincarnation: King Arthur is reborn in present day

Merlin reincarnation theory Arthur is reborn

This ending’s got it all: it has the potential for sacrifice and the element of death, while also leaving viewers with a feeling of hope. A feeling that one day, everything will be okay even if it’s not in this lifetime.

And you may think it’s a bit of a crackpot theory, but it’s more in tune with the original legends than you think! There are two ways this could play out, and let us tell you how:

The immortality theory: The first way we could see the popular theme of reincarnation in Arthurian Legend playing a role in the show is if they incorporated the idea of Merlin being immortal into the plot.

Historically speaking (it’s interesting, we promise), the Merlin character first appeared in Geoffrey of Monmouth’s Historia Regum Britanniae. Here, Merlin is said to have been born of a mortal woman but fathered by an incubus, and he inherited both his immortality and his magic from his incubus father. In the series, Balinor was of course a Dragonlord, but dragons live a hell of a long time, too.

Imagine the following scenario: The battle of Camlann rages on, reaching its crescendo. And Merlin turns around just in time to see Arthur fall to the ground, mortally wounded by Mordred’s hand. After an intense battle of magic, Merlin defeats Mordred and he and Arthur share a tearful goodbye before Arthur dies as the prophecy showed us at the beginning of series 5, leaving Merlin alone and drenched in the feeling of failure as he knows his and Arthur’s destiny will go unfulfilled.

But just when all seems lost, Kilgarrah swoops in and informs Merlin that there’s still hope after all: Merlin must wait until the time comes for Arthur to return to the land of the living, for Arthur is still destined to be the greatest King Albion has ever known. Centuries will pass, Merlin will grow old, cursed to live forever and walk alone waiting for Arthur. But finally, his King will return, reincarnated and ready to unite all of Albion with Merlin by his side as always.

The rebirth fanfic theory: The second way we think reincarnation could work is a bit more far-fetched, but would make for a fun plot twist nonetheless.

Let’s set the scene for our second scenario: Everyone dies. And we mean EVERYONE. Think Lost, but with more sword fighting. The screen fades to black – then opens in the present day. The streets are bustling with early morning commuters making their ways to work, and Merlin’s among them, weaving in and out of the crowd as quickly as he can – he’s going to be late again if he doesn’t hurry! But he miscalculates a clearing in the crowd and barrels straight into a man who’s briefcase goes flying, papers strewn all over the pavement.

He hears the voice of the stranger calling him an idiot, and scathingly asking why he wasn’t watching where he was going. Merlin’s head snaps up, he’s ready with an irritated response of his own, except the man’s blue eyes and shock of blonde hair stop him. The man looks strangely familiar and Merlin’s quick witted retort gets caught in his throat. Arthur.

Okay. We may or may not have stolen that last idea from a fanfic, but indulge us for a moment. We love the idea of BBC’s Merlin ending in present day reincarnation, because it leaves the story open-ended with so much possibility. It doesn’t matter whether you’d like to imagine Merlin and Arthur living out the present day in normalcy, or you’d like to imagine they’ve been reincarnated to fight the forces of evil destined to plunge the 21st century into darkness unless they succeed in defeating the reincarnated Mordred once and for all; the best thing about this theory is that the possibilities are endless.
    I bet £5.... No £6 it's number 3!
  • Options
    NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moleymo wrote: »
    I bet £5.... No £6 it's number 3!
    I bet it's the early half of 5, that is
    the immortality theory
    which is basically just 3 but more depressing as
    not only will Merlin have failed but he will have spent centuries wandering alone. :(

I did say I was preparing for the worst...;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Natarhi wrote: »
    the immortality theory
    not only will Merlin have failed but he will have spent centuries wandering alone. :(

I wonder if the writers are reading hypable and thinking bloody hell why didn't we think of number 4!
  • Options
    NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moleymo wrote: »
    I wonder if the writers are reading hypable and thinking bloody hell why didn't we think of number 4!
    They strike me as too arrogant to ever think someone else might have a better idea than them. :p

Obviously my choice would be number 4, but I would actually be ok with either 1 or 2. I'm convinced we're going to get 5/3 (like I say I think they're basically the same thing). :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the number 1 made me laugh, it would be a shock poor Merlin never really got it right lol.

my ideal ending would be number 4
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have absolutely no doubt that Capps and Murphy don't listen to their actors and what they want AT ALL.

They don't seem to even listen to their other two producing writers so I doubt they'd give the time of day to their actors :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I haven't been following this thread much, but do we know for a fact that things will actually come to a conclusion this (final) season? Or could it be much like Series 4, where basically no one important dies and no one uncovers Merlin's secret?

After all, it doesn't appear that the writers knew it would be the final season at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tagg wrote: »
    After all, it doesn't appear that the writers knew it would be the final season at the time.

They knew before the final block of episodes were written. They tried to get a 6th series but were well aware the cast were only contracted for 5 and there'd be a high chance they'd get no more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duplicate
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tagg wrote: »
    I haven't been following this thread much, but do we know for a fact that things will actually come to a conclusion this (final) season? Or could it be much like Series 4, where basically no one important dies and no one uncovers Merlin's secret?

In one of the interviews, before the announcement, Colin Morgan hinted in an interview that there'll be another series as long as they're alive to do it. It was that BBC Breakfast interview with Alex Vlahos. :o

Right now, there's likely no one left after the finale. I can see a physical death for Arthur, Morgana, Mordred, and most of the knights. Gwen could suffer an emotional death rather than a physical one but Merlin probably ends up with a spiritual and emotional death. :(

And, I'd think the Great Dragon's a goner. The same with the White Dragon though it would be nice if it loses its wings and ends up in Loch Ness. :cry:

Still, the viewers were promised something wonderful! So, while I fully expect a mature depressing end. I'd like to be surprised with number 4.

Or just before Arthur dies, we're transported to present times.

Bradley James is carrying a copy of the script: "We can't lump them with coal on Christmas Eve."

Colin Morgan: "No, it wouldn't be right."

And they gather round the camera as the rest of the cast and crew break the scene. We see them framed on camera one by one thanking the fans and wishing well everyone who watched the show all these years.

Angel Coulby comes on camera flanked by Colin Morgan and Bradley James: "And, so the Journey ends. But, know that one day, Arthur..."

Colin Morgan adds: "and Merlin..."

Katie McGrath: "... will return. For Arthur is truly: the once and future King."

Then, Angel Coulby sings: "It's Christmas time, there's no need to be afraid... At Christmas time, we let in light and we banish shade..." :)

THAT's how MERLIN should end... and I can cross another off my list. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    They knew before the final block of episodes were written. They tried to get a 6th series but were well aware the cast were only contracted for 5 and there'd be a high chance they'd get no more.

Okay, thanks. I don't particularly care what happens in the end as long as it's not left up in the air.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    the immortality theory

Yep, I'm fully expecting an ending like King Lear, with hardly anyone left on stage at the end. Gwaine, too, dies at Camlann in all the legends. But they'll probably try to cheer us up with some clever "the legends succeed by failing" surprise at the very end. I'm not expecting to feel very cheered up by that. I think it's a cop out.

Now what I would like to see is actually a variant of 2: Arthur is reconciled to Magic but mortally wounded; Merlin prepares to give his own life to save his friend; but at the last moment Morgana appears and takes over that role instead, insisting it's her right as High Priestess, and she's content to know that the old ways will be respected once again. Morgana is redeemed, Albion flourishes, and Merlin and Arthur live on, their victory tempered by a new feeling of humility, which will do them both good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In one of the interviews, before the announcement, Colin Morgan hinted in an interview that there'll be another series as long as they're alive to do it. It was that BBC Breakfast interview with Alex Vlahos. :o

Right now, there's likely no one left after the finale. I can see a physical death for Arthur, Morgana, Mordred, and most of the knights. Gwen could suffer an emotional death rather than a physical one but Merlin probably ends up with a spiritual and emotional death. :(

And, I'd think the Great Dragon's a goner. The same with the White Dragon though it would be nice if it loses its wings and ends up in Loch Ness. :cry:

Still, the viewers were promised something wonderful! So, while I fully expect a mature depressing end. I'd like to be surprised with number 4.

Or just before Arthur dies, we're transported to present times.

Bradley James is carrying a copy of the script: "We can't lump them with coal on Christmas Eve."

Colin Morgan: "No, it wouldn't be right."

And they gather round the camera as the rest of the cast and crew break the scene. We see them framed on camera one by one thanking the fans and wishing well everyone who watched the show all these years.

Angel Coulby comes on camera flanked by Colin Morgan and Bradley James: "And, so the Journey ends. But, know that one day, Arthur..."

Colin Morgan adds: "and Merlin..."

Katie McGrath: "... will return. For Arthur is truly: the once and future King."

Then, Angel Coulby sings: "It's Christmas time, there's no need to be afraid... At Christmas time, we let in light and we banish shade..." :)

THAT's how MERLIN should end... and I can cross another off my list. :)

Haha I want some of what you are on mike :D
  • Options
    Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, re those endings hypable talked about:

1. I wouldn't like this ending. I have invested 5 years into this Arthur and it would be awful to discover that he wasn't the real Arthur after all, and that poor Merlin has to go through everything again with another Arthur, albeit this Arthur's son.

2. This is probably my preferred ending (the uplifting version, not the version where Merlin dies). If I hadn't had any contact with this forum over the last few months, this is the ending I would be expecting, and as I have no great feelings for Morgana, I am happy for her to be sacrificed. :p This is still the ending I cling to when I consider that this is being shown to children at Christmas.

3. This is the totally depressing and incomprehensible ending that I feel we are going to get. Words are not adequate to express my horror and disappointment if this is the case.

4. Much as I love the idea of Merlin and Arthur sitting on the steps of Camelot, all danger averted, as they did in S3, I actually think this ending would actually be a huge cop out because we have had it before, and because we will all know there is still not going to be a happy ever after and at some point Arthur would be going to meet Mordred at Camlann. That is why 2 is preferable: because in that circumstance, we know the vision of the future has been fulfilled and happily concluded.

5. Hmmm, yes, I have a feeling some element of this is going to be incorporated into the ending. I am not sure how to feel about it right now. It won't make up for the grief I will feel that our Merlin and Arthur failed, but I suppose it could give a positive spin to that failure. It isn't an option I particularly feel drawn to.

I have to say Mike, your idea of it ending with the actors standing around with scripts in their hands and Angel singing 'Don't they know it's Christmas?' certainly brought a smile to my lips. But cheeeessssy! :D

I still believe that the vision Merlin saw of Mordred and Arthur at Camlann can NOT be about to be played out just as we saw it. If you think about Merlin's previous visions of the future, none of them have played out exactly as we expected them to. The vision in the crystal of Neatid showed Camelot being destroyed and Merlin weeping, but Camelot was not destroyed and we had no idea that Merlin was weeping over his father, instead of the destruction of Camelot/Arthur/whatever else we thought he was weeping about. And in the Crystal Cave vision, Merlin thought he saw Morgana stabbing Uther, but in reality, we never got to that actual moment where she stabbed him. So whatever we think we are seeing in the vision of Camlann, I firmly believe it won't play out that way. It would be horrendously bad story-telling if they showed us the actual ending in ep 1, and I don't believe even these writers are as poor as that.
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the immortality theory

3. This is the totally depressing and incomprehensible ending that I feel we are going to get. Words are not adequate to express my horror and disappointment if this is the case.

Do you know whats just occured to me (slow I know :o) that the worst, most depressing ending that everyone can think of, is the most likely ending we are going to get. Is it just me or is that rediculous :confused:
    What started out as a childrens show is (more than likely) going to end terribly. If I had kids that loved this show I would be furious with the writers. I know they have hammered on that it gets darker, it gets darker but it was still started as a childrens show and those children are going to want to watch the end.
    I hope all the mums out there have warned their kids that its going to be a very sad end and charaters are going to die :(
  • Options
    Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the show has a happy ending, I might actually watch it on iPlayer. I should stress, that by 'happy ending', I mean Morgana killing Merlin. After he's finally forced to admit that he's a two-faced, lying, manipulative murderer, and the biggest hypocrite ever to be labelled a 'hero' in the history of TV.

Actually, d'you know what would be really cool? The show ends with what seems like a happy ending, with Merlin finally defeating and destroying Morgana. The credits roll and fade to black... But then we're back and the camera pans across the murdered bodies of Arthur, Gaius, Merlin, the knights and Gwen. We pan up to what seems to be another Arthur, holding a blood-stained dagger. Then, speaking with Morgana's voice, (s)he chuckles and says "Now this is a disguise I'm really going to enjoy... If I can just get the voice right."

:D
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another version has it that Merlin angers Arthur to the point where he beheads, cuts in half, burns, and curses Merlin

Obviously this is how it will end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say Mike, your idea of it ending with the actors standing around with scripts in their hands and Angel singing 'Don't they know it's Christmas?' certainly brought a smile to my lips. But cheeeessssy! :D
    Yes, but cheese can be good. Especially a cheese that tastes of apple pie! That's one thing I can thank the writers for in this series. :D
    star89 wrote: »
    Do you know whats just occured to me (slow I know :o) that the worst, most depressing ending that everyone can think of, is the most likely ending we are going to get. Is it just me or is that rediculous :confused:
    That’s why I didn’t like the way it seems this show would end.
    What started out as a childrens show is (more than likely) going to end terribly. If I had kids that loved this show I would be furious with the writers. I know they have hammered on that it gets darker, it gets darker but it was still started as a childrens show and those children are going to want to watch the end.

Agree completely BUT it might spark interest for a spin off. I truly doubt any films would be made and a lot of that talk is just that: talk.
    I hope all the mums out there have warned their kids that its going to be a very sad end and charaters are going to die :(
    Me too. After the denial, there’ll be anger though not nearly as restrained as this:
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    If the show has a happy ending, I might actually watch it on iPlayer. I should stress, that by 'happy ending', I mean Morgana killing Merlin. After he's finally forced to admit that he's a two-faced, lying, manipulative murderer, and the biggest hypocrite ever to be labelled a 'hero' in the history of TV.
    A sentiment shared by many if it ends as it seems, I’m sure!
    Actually, d'you know what would be really cool? The show ends with what seems like a happy ending, with Merlin finally defeating and destroying Morgana. The credits roll and fade to black... But then we're back and the camera pans across the murdered bodies of Arthur, Gaius, Merlin, the knights and Gwen. We pan up to what seems to be another Arthur, holding a blood-stained dagger. Then, speaking with Morgana's voice, (s)he chuckles and says "Now this is a disguise I'm really going to enjoy... If I can just get the voice right."
    :D
    That’s a nice ending but I’d want her offed too!

So, while she’s walking among the dead, Mordred arrives with sword drawn. Morgana forgets she’s in her Arthur disguise as Mordred raises his sword. They cross swords. Arthur/Morgana falls to the ground.

In the distance, Merlin stirs the real Arthur is wounded but still alive. With the wave of his hand, Merlin blows Mordred to bits. The magic takes it toll on Merlin. He now looks like Old Merlin. He wanders over to Arthur/Morgana who looks like Old Morgana (her Arthur spell has taken its toll). She asks Old Merlin for help. He scoffs. Morgana asks help from Aithusa. As it comes toward them, Merlin uses his dragonlord powers to shoo the dragon away. Morgana realizes his power. She casts a spell on Aithusa killing the dragon. Merlin screams in anguish and while distracted Morgana takes a sword and stabs Merlin in the heart. In anger, Merlin explodes her too.

Dying Merlin calls the Great Dragon, it flies down and breaths life back into Merlin but it is the last act of Khilgharrah. It dies.

The camera pans to a distant meadow. In the distance is a lonely figure. A blue car comes along, barreling into her. In the car are two actors… guess… they pick up the old man and ride off into the sunset…
    CD93 wrote: »
    Another version has it that Merlin angers Arthur to the point where he beheads, cuts in half, burns, and curses Merlin.

Obviously this is how it will end.
    The problem with this is that makes this scene possible because Merlin/Emrys is immortal:

Arthur looks at the remains of the dead body in disgust. To his horror, he sees the Merlin head smile maniacally as it puts the body pieces back together.

Merlin: So, things didn’t go exactly to plan.

Arthur: To plan? This was a plan? You bumpkin! Everything, everything is destroyed!

Arthur takes his sword and hack-hacks, chop-chops but Merlin puts the body parts back together.

Merlin: Arthur, we could do this all day.

Arthur, exhausted: No, this ends now…

Merlin: Only if I allow it!

Arthur strikes a blow.

Merling: Arthur, now, cut that out!

Arthur: I intend to!

Before Arthur can attack Merlin puts Arthur under a sleeping spell. And, he explains all.

Merlin: So, Arthur awake and we’ll make this dream a reality.

But Arthur is still sleeping soundly. Despite all, Arthur can not be roused. He is dead. And, Merlin knows this enchantment will not be reversed.

Merlin: Well, I guess that didn’t go to plan either… This is another fine mess I’ve gotten you into! And, it’ll be the last.

Roll credits…
  • Options
    Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with this is that makes this scene possible because Merlin/Emrys is immortal:

Arthur looks at the remains of the dead body in disgust. To his horror, he sees the Merlin head smile maniacally as it puts the body pieces back together.

Merlin: So, things didn’t go exactly to plan.

Arthur: To plan? This was a plan? You bumpkin! Everything, everything is destroyed!

Arthur takes his sword and hack-hacks, chop-chops but Merlin puts the body parts back together.

Merlin: Arthur, we could do this all day.

Arthur, exhausted: No, this ends now…

Merlin: Only if I allow it!

Arthur strikes a blow.

Merling: Arthur, now, cut that out!

Arthur: I intend to!

Before Arthur can attack Merlin puts Arthur under a sleeping spell. And, he explains all.

Merlin: So, Arthur awake and we’ll make this dream a reality.

But Arthur is still sleeping soundly. Despite all, Arthur can not be roused. He is dead. And, Merlin knows this enchantment will not be reversed.

Merlin: Well, I guess that didn’t go to plan either… This is another fine mess I’ve gotten you into! And, it’ll be the last.

Roll credits…

Thanks. This made me LMAO. :D
This discussion has been closed.