Is Series 4 best of New Who?

Tiernan_MccarthTiernan_Mccarth Posts: 218
Forum Member
Just wanted to know your opinions on Series 4 of new Who and whether you think it's the best. It's my personal favourite due to many things. The scenes between Ten and Donna are pure gold. She just dishes back everything he serves. It also featured some of the best episodes, Silence in the Library/Forest of the dead, Turn Left, Midnight. It also gave us the Doctor's own daughter and the brilliant miming scene in Partners in Crime. I also have to admit that I do love the controversial The Stolen Earth/Journeys End, it just contained so much past references that I couldn't help but love it.

Also the little hidden series arcs throughout were far superior to the extremely evident cracks and others in series 5, e.g Atmos signs in Cars, Missing Planet references throughout.

Well that's me. Your thoughts?

Comments

• CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely the best of the Davies era.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did originally think 4 then 5 but been doing a rewatch recently and enjoyed s2 with only one clunker in fear her, even enjoyed love and monsters. Im saying 4,2,5,1,3,6,7.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best of the Davies era, but S5 from the Moffat era trumps it in my book.

Both series are almost perfect, killer story after killer story, marred by only one properly iffy episode. The Hungry Earth isn't underwhelming as Journey's End is messy.

You could argue Victory of the Daleks brings down S5's batting average... but you could equally argue The Doctor's Daughter brings it down for S4. They're evenly matched - but while S4 felt like the apex of a show that'd been building in quality for a while, S5 was magical and new and had this extra sheen of unpredictability, a wonderful wonderfulness. Also, my favourite Doctor and companion.

Both amazing series, though, and part of a golden age of Doctor Who. From Partners in Crime right through to... oh, let's say, Day of the Moon. Curse of the Black Spot was the first hit to the winning streak.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    For me it's between series 4 and series 1 but I can't decide between the two
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. Enjoyed it immensely at the time but not many of the stories hold up to rewatching. Apart from the Library two parter and Midnight. The rest seem very weak with hindsight.
  • Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't really rate the show by series.
    They all have there strong hits and misses. It's more about the Story Arcs.

But series 4 did have Planet of the Ood, Midnight, Silence in the Library, and the great big wrapping up party that was Journey's End.

So yeah, a strong contender.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    My personal favourite with a doubt.
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Yes..
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite, the last four episodes were amazing, but I still prefer Series 2.

:)
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series 1 and series 5 for me. 1 was a joy to watch after all those years and 5 was just magical and compelling. All the rest have been good (with obvious ups and downs) but those beat the rest for me.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    Was one of my favourites but I preferred the first two series. Saying that my favourite ever episode of doctor who was journeys end that was on series 4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was average (but still a good one) IMO.
    My favorites are 3, 5 and 7B
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    It has some brilliant episodes (Midnight being the best of all in my OP) but personally I find series 1,3 & 5 much more enthralling. They brought lots of new stuff, and just felt really fresh+exciting
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find Series 5 easily the best of Ten's run. It was very strong from the start, though I will admit that "The Doctor's Daughter" was a bit of a stumble. Overall, it was very strong, fun, and easily one of my favorites.

You know, until it shot its self in the foot and dove off a cliff to split its head on a rock in the final story. Seriously, if it wasn't for that awful thing, Series 4 would easily rank as one of my all time favorites.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Series 4 best of New Who?

Yes, it is.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S4 was good. 10s freindship with Donna was just what he needed after losign Rose and Martha leaving to care for her family . No wonder he was so sad to lose her. He managed to save her life but had to take her memories. Loved JE with all his old freinds coming back including Jack,Mickey and Sarah Jane. Working with them and "Doctor Donna" . Managed to save the universe and get Earth home to its right place.
  • Steven_PSteven_P Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S4 is my favourite as a series since it came back, but there have been far better episodes elsewhere. I think Donna and the Doctor's friendship were what made S4 the best for me, I love Donna and it's such a shame CT couldn't do another series, I think she said that she'd have been up for it if there was one to do.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to know your opinions on Series 4 of new Who and whether you think it's the best. It's my personal favourite due to many things. The scenes between Ten and Donna are pure gold. She just dishes back everything he serves. It also featured some of the best episodes, Silence in the Library/Forest of the dead, Turn Left, Midnight. It also gave us the Doctor's own daughter and the brilliant miming scene in Partners in Crime. I also have to admit that I do love the controversial The Stolen Earth/Journeys End, it just contained so much past references that I couldn't help but love it.

Also the little hidden series arcs throughout were far superior to the extremely evident cracks and others in series 5, e.g Atmos signs in Cars, Missing Planet references throughout.

Well that's me. Your thoughts?

Definitely the best in my opinion. Nothing we've seen since has come close. And the season the followed was the poorest for me.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Easily the best of the RTD era IMO and probably my second favourite of C21 Who. There's a huge amount to enjoy, and obviously it helps that it's got my favourite companian of all Who in it. Tennant and Tate are an absolute joy together and we get Lord Cribbins as well. So, it's great....but the following year is still the high watermark for me. So far!
  • Steven_PSteven_P Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get all the fuss over S5, there is some good stuff. VatD is probably one of the best stories in the whole 50 years, and there are many that are good but not great, but on average in my minds eye when I think of s5 I think of HE/CB and VotD... even the "all enemies combined to fight the doctor" in TPO seems silly.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna have to go with Series 3.
  • DazerUKDazerUK Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 3 for me from the RTD era.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Series 4 was awesome and was definitely 10s best series, although series 3 runs close.

My favourite series since 2005 has been series 5 though. Loved every episode of 11s debut series and especially loved the art direction the show went in.

The only series which I have found disappointing has been series 2. I never really bought into the Rose/10 dynamic.
  • chattswhochattswho Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Nope. Enjoyed it immensely at the time but not many of the stories hold up to rewatching. Apart from the Library two parter and Midnight. The rest seem very weak with hindsight.

I agree with you on that one myself.
  • krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Series 3 and Series 1 are my personal favourites but I think Series 4 is very strong. Some stunning stories - 'Fires of Pompeii', 'Midnight' and 'Turn Left' in particular IMO - and I love Donna.