Options

L107 off-air

Comments

• Options
    LioneloLionelo Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Roger Glen wrote: »
    It wasnt Paul Cooneys name I heard mentioned from a reliable source, but another ex Clyde presenter.

Apparently hes friends with Scottie and is being brought in to run the show, allowing Scottie to concentrate on his show.

Colin Kelly has been touted for the mid morning show with Scottie going back on nights. This would be a great move for L107.

If they got someone like Mike Riddoch or Dave Marshall for the morning show that could be quite a formidable line up. They might have a fighting chance then.

What a comeback that would be for L107.
    Sounds like we've not heard the last of our old friend McClue.
    And L107 will be going for it big style if he's accompanied by some other household names.
    You can bet it will make for an uneasy new year for the likes of Clyde.
  • Options
    Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lionelo wrote: »
    And L107 will be going for it big style if he's accompanied by some other household names.

You may or not be speaking tongue in cheek. but the fact is that with a tiny handful of exceptions, most of whom are on BBC national radio, there is no such thing as 'big names' in radio anymore. The public DO NOT CARE.

The networking on the Bauer stations has not had the slightest detrimental effect and im nany cases the ratings have actually gone up!

Radio is a far more complicated product these days than which names happen to be behind the mircophone. If someone new with vast experience and pedigree comes in and takes over L107 I wish them well but simply putting themselves on air and calling up similar names from their contact book will in itself not be enough.
    Roger Glen wrote: »
    Colin Kelly has been touted for the mid morning show with Scottie going back on nights. This would be a great move for L107.

That wouldn't surprise me at all, on the count of his being both talented and available. He could also take care of the news provision as part of his role. Ironically, the original Clan FM application stated an intention for one of the jocks to double as a journo. It never happened as the number of people who can jock and do news is limiited.

Even back then Colin was the one that jumped to mind so it would be great to see him end up in get the job I had him down for 11 years ago!
  • Options
    Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lionelo wrote: »

As if.
  • Options
    Craig KellyCraig Kelly Posts: 2,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may or not be speaking tongue in cheek. but the fact is that with a tiny handful of exceptions, most of whom are on BBC national radio, there is no such thing as 'big names' in radio anymore. The public DO NOT CARE. Radio is a far more complicated product these days than which names happen to be behind the mircophone. If someone new with vast experience and pedigree comes in and takes over L107 I wish them well but simply putting themselves on air and calling up similar names from their contact book will in itself not be enough.

I am minded of the time when the old Q96 when based in Paisley and under the then ownership of TWG had a raft of former Clyde presenters like Mike Riddoch, Gary Marshall and Dougie Jackson and it did not do anything significant for the station's RAJAR audience figures.

It seems to be the 'brand' of the station that has audience and not neccessarily the sum of the individuals.

Still not entirely convinced that Ofcom will hand the licence to another company. The last time this happened was with KCR close to Liverpool. The landlord changed the locks and automation played out for three weeks and then the transmitter was switched off when the company went into administration. A few months later another company came along and it became Mersey's 106.7 FM and it lasted a few months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am minded of the time when the old Q96 when based in Paisley and under the then ownership of TWG had a raft of former Clyde presenters like Mike Riddoch, Gary Marshall and Dougie Jackson and it did not do anything significant for the station's RAJAR audience figures.

Absolutely. Scot FM went through a series of SRH names poached for big money but were met with listener indifference, Galloway excepted.. It was only when GMG took over and fixed the brand that things took off.

More recently in Dundee, the Findlays hired a very well known ex Tay presenter Dave Price for breakfast. Yet it has made not a jot of difference to the numbers.

On the other hand, the Lanarkshire licence's most sucessful ratings period was the much lauded John Collins 'Love Lanarkshire' era when the lineup consisted of relative newcomers and local volunteers on evenings and weekends.

Nailing down what works and doesn't work in Arthur Grainger land is a complex task.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member

On the other hand, the Lanarkshire licence's most sucessful ratings period was the much lauded John Collins 'Love Lanarkshire' era .

BL, the only the only person who i have ever heard talking about this is you. I lived in Lanarkshire during this period and never heard "Love Lanarkshire" mentioned once, anywhere.
    Remember there had been some good solid work going on for some time, there had been a very extensive image plus campaign and a fair bit of newspaper exposure (which i don't think we should go into), all of which would certainly help get the couple of diary ticks it would require to improve the ratings. I know JC was your mentor but you seem to forget he was also behind the disastrous change of name which started the station down a very slippery slope.
    The main problem with the Lanarkshire licence has been it has never been a steady ship. Far too much money spent originally on buildings etc. at the start, then too many changes of personel and management. It is very difficult for local business to have confidence in the station when every few months another sales rep comes along and tells them its a new start and the last lot were getting it all wrong.
    Lanarkshire has a huge business base and could certainly sustain a properly run, local station given time, but it is certainly not going to be in a position to do so without a year or so of stability.
    As for the most recent speculation, once again its "a friend of a friend told me" and wild theories spinning out of control, lets just wait until some facts emerge before any more crazy posts.
    For those who got a bee in their bonnet about the station closing without any mention on facebook or twitter etc that is because these pages were controlled (passwords etc) by people no longer involved in the station despite any "official" title.
    Thats it, ho ho ho, merry christmas to most of you, bah humbug to those who make mischief while hiding behind screen names
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember there had been some good solid work going on for some time, there had been a very extensive image plus campaign and a fair bit of newspaper exposure (which i don't think we should go into), all of which would certainly help get the couple of diary ticks it would require to improve the ratings.

I dare say;).

No doubt the extensive marketing and telesales during Image Plus had a big secondary benefit of raising awareness as well as all those new advertisees listening in and telling their family and friends to tune in. It worked OK on air on Clan but appeared to have a disastrous effect on Q96 with random ads for the likes of a pool hall in Dennistoun cluttering the inventory.

But that was then......

Back to now and I am wary of rumours which, even if partially true, may need to overcome various obstacles to come to fruition.

So have a great Christmas weekend and then we shall see what we shall see.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed..... far too late in the day to repeat why the Lanarkshire licence cannot work in todays market. Not as a commercial radio station at any rate.

It's the festive season and hopefully most of those who carried the flame for L107 are busy making some well earned cash entertaining locals at parties and fuctions across the area.

Good luck to them all and to the diminishing ranks of the commercial radio staff throughout Scotland as the remaining stations enter a new year of new challenges with new brands and new programming promised or planned. 2011 will be a belt tightening year for most in the UK (bankers aside of course!) but hopefully the range of radio will remain interesting and entertaining regardless of it's place of origin.
  • Options
    belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still not entirely convinced that Ofcom will hand the licence to another company. The last time this happened was with KCR close to Liverpool. The landlord changed the locks and automation played out for three weeks and then the transmitter was switched off when the company went into administration. A few months later another company came along and it became Mersey's 106.7 FM and it lasted a few months.

Mersey 106.7 FM went off air after its licence was revoked - because of the lack of service provided by its predecessor KCR for several months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    once again its "a friend of a friend told me" and wild theories spinning out of control, lets just wait until some facts emerge

Here here!

As James has said, how can a station that's had god knows how many changes in management possibly have any success? it cant!

Mark Page, Alan Shields, Lamont +.......

I hope someone decent comes along this time (if it is a" this time") that actually puts the stations interest first rather than their own personal fortune! to be fair I think Lamont does, but needs a powerful medium in the back ground it's the only way L107 will make a positive come back and prove everyone wrong.

Their is space on the dial for L107 to make a profit , but it's output needs to be improved considerably

Sunny G get's out better for heaven sake and only running 25 watts or so they say...

Anyway folks, putting everything aside.

hope you all have a Merry Christmas

I've enjoyed the debates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have heard a rumour that the station has been sold and will be making a reappearance on the 27th December.

Whilst it may sound bizzare it's beleiveable because of the name of the individual who has apparently bought it.

So Dec 27th and another wavejock prediction goes down the pan, maybe you should stick to Galaxy posts
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Dec 27th and another wavejock prediction goes down the pan, maybe you should stick to Galaxy posts

Not my prediction...... 'I heard a rumour' does not claim it's factual nor does it equate to agreeing with it as several posts following the above quote confirm.

Latest news is that Ofcom seem to be stepping back form becoming involved in what is an ownership dispute and the licence is in limbo. Ofcom probably will want confirmation as to who owns L107 FM Ltd before allowing any further broadcasting and if that cannot be resolved its likely they will simply revoke the licence regardless of who the 'legal owners' are because the station has not been broadcasting for more than two months.

There are all sorts of rumours and speculation about who owns what and who has the right to do things, none of which are worthy of further exposure on a public forum. Suffice to say that Ofcom seem to be keeping themselves out of things in respect of the ownership dispute and acceptance of a licence return would effectively endorse one of the parties involved. It's doubtful that Ofcom will wait too long before acting (they have more than sufficient reason to do so) to remove the licence issue from the equation and allow any civil claims to be pursued using standard legal processes.

Meanwhile it's probably just as well nobody else has yet ressurected L107 because the market opportunity for a wee pop station will get even smaller in 2011 with the arrival of Capital FM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday would have been an unusual day for a comeback due, not least, to difficulty getting access to the high rises where the TXs are based over a 4 day Xmas shutdown.

One line of speculation last week was that a prospective buyer had led to the parties involved burying the hatchet in the hope of a payout that offset their losses.

However it seems that the dispute is still raging behind the scenes with claim and counter-claim aplenty, as wavejock and I know, however as he rightly states, some things are best not posted on public fora as one is wary of becoming part of the story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Meanwhile it's probably just as well nobody else has yet ressurected L107 because the market opportunity for a wee pop station will get even smaller in 2011 with the arrival of Capital FM.

If you think for one second that L107 and Capital are fishing from the same listener pool then you know even less about radio than i gave you credit for
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you think for one second that L107 and Capital are fishing from the same listener pool then you know even less about radio than i gave you credit for

Every local pop music based commercial station is fishing from the same pool!

I am sure the small numbers that once listened to L107 have now switched to Clyde, Real, Galaxy or Smooth. They might have returned to the BBC but one thing is for sure they will continue to listen to radio and the under 25's amongst them would be very likely to tune to either Clyde 1 or Galaxy.

Not interested in the pointless personalised flamebait as it does nothing but distract attention from the topic of this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The thing is though that Galaxy is/was doing very well anyway, with its last RAJAR at 17% reach. Capital will have to work hard to significantly improve on such a performance.

It could be counter argued that Robin Galloway's exit from Real offers more listeners up for grabs than Capital will steal, especially given his and Real's popularity in Lanarkshire. Look at what happened to Capital after tarrant left, for example.

Were L107 still on air this would be an exciting time of opportunity rather than a threatening one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    [I am sure the small numbers that once listened to L107 have now switched to Clyde, Real, Galaxy or Smooth.

You're right, I have switched to Smooth. Clyde doesnt get outside the UK. But just as soom as the difficulties are ironed out, I'll be back.
  • Options
    Craig KellyCraig Kelly Posts: 2,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the demise of L107 and this thread probably disappearing as well in due course, there does seem to be an active 'group' or a few active people trying to start 'Lanarkshire Community Radio'.

http://lanarkshirecommunityradio.info/

They have applied for a £5,000 grant from South Lanarkshire Council for use of an empty office property in Larkhall and they await a decision in January.

They should just walk into 69 Bothwell Road and start streaming now!

From what they are saying it will be youth focussed with DJs playing their fave tunes with local news and interviews.

They have to improve on their logo which looks a bit scary to say the least and get away from lower case text speak.

So out of L107 there may be station yet in Lanarkshire, but with just 25W which all FM community stations get allocated, LCR will cover Larkhall, Hamilton and parts of Motherwell and Wishaw depending on where the transmitter is sited, may be back on the South Lanarkshire Council HQ building in Amada Street in Hamilton.

Ofcom are due to make a decision if there will be a Round 3 of Community Licences in 2011.
  • Options
    Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have switched to Smooth. Clyde doesnt get outside the UK. But just as soom as the difficulties are ironed out, I'll be back.

You can hear Clyde via www.radiofeeds.co.uk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no doubt that Lanarkshire could support a community station which could deliver access programming that is not currently available elsewhere on the FM Band. Such a station should be sustainable as it would be free from the intense competition of the commercial market. Good luck to any groups who take up the challenge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So out of L107 there may be station yet in Lanarkshire, but with just 25W which all FM community stations get allocated, LCR will cover Larkhall, Hamilton and parts of Motherwell and Wishaw depending on where the transmitter is sited, may be back on the South Lanarkshire Council HQ building in Amada Street in Hamilton.

Ofcom are due to make a decision if there will be a Round 3 of Community Licences in 2011.

A similar scenario occured when UKRD closed down Star FM in stroud and then Stroud FM appeared shortly afterwards.

Another obvious candidate is Camglen Radio who broadcast twice a year on an RSL basis.

Revocation of the licence would free up 107.5 and 107.9.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After 2 months off-air it's probably time to move on from L107 and the commercial licence that was for Lanarkshire and look forward to the new opportunities that two vacant frequencies could deliver locally. There is evidence of RSL activity and there have been expressions of interest both rumoured and stated on websites about establishing community services in and around Lanarkshire. Now that 2011 has arrived lets hope its not too long before one or two groups get the chance to put something on 107.5 & 107.9FM. Community services that offer ordinary folks the chance to use radio to improve their local communities rather than a money losing hospice for a small number of previously employed local radio presenters.

New year, new prospects and hopefully some new stations. Good Luck to all of those accepting the challenge who will have to work hard not only to establish new radio services but to promote and sustain them for their local communities in the years to come.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Funny how this thread won't go away. Dontcha think?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    OK. I'll admit it. When I saw that I was 999th, I had to be 1,000:)
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would almost think Ray had some agenda to keep this thread bumped to the top wouldn't you?:rolleyes: