Options

Digital One seeks PrimeTime replacement

chrisychrisy Posts: 9,420
Forum Member
8am: National commercial DAB multiplex Digital One is lining up possible replacements for PrimeTime Radio, when the station comes off the network in May this year.

Source

Comments

• Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My money is on the Our Kind of Music station which is on Now Digital muxs in Essex and Reading. The only other possibilty currently is Sunrise's Easy Radio unless someone creates a new brand. With the other big groups suddenly getting an interest in national DAB anything could happen.

Did the article speculate?
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote:
    My money is on the Our Kind of Music station which is on Now Digital muxs in Essex and Reading.
    Probably the best outcome. I know others disagree but in my view the music on Primetime/Saga has less appeal to the generations which grew up before the Sixties. And Our Kind Of Music is a pretty good name for a station which could be developed into a successful brand.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,420
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote:
    Did the article speculate?

Don't know, I don't have access to it so could only read the synopsis.

Chris
  • Options
    simcksimck Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    When DAB was first launched there was an excellent automated station in certain area's, playing easy listening music from 50's though to the present day, it was called 'The Lounge'. The station disappeared somewhen in 2003. Does anyone else remember The Lounge?

It would be nice if Magic was the replacement for Prime Time Radio. A station playing easy listening music from the last 60 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simck wrote:
    When DAB was first launched there was an excellent automated station in certain area's, playing easy listening music from 50's though to the present day, it was called 'The Lounge'. The station disappeared somewhen in 2003. Does anyone else remember The Lounge?

It would be nice if Magic was the replacement for Prime Time Radio. A station playing easy listening music from the last 60 years.
    We had a perfectly good easy listening station in Melody FM which Magic - which isn't in the same league musically - replaced. Why not revive Melody if it's easy listening people want?
  • Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 3,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simck wrote:
    The station disappeared somewhen in 2003. Does anyone else remember The Lounge?
    The Lounge was available on several local multiplexes, as well as the regional Switch Scotland. It was a TWG station, but was closed down around the same time as they we debranding their Big AM and Big Digital networks...
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had missed the news that Primetime was leaving DAB, and I have to say it's a real shame. It's one of the few commercial stations I have any time for these days, and I frequently have it on.

This news will not be welcomed by many of its listeners. I should think there are a lot who don't have access to satellite.
  • Options
    Paul252Paul252 Posts: 1,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see IOMIB (Musicmann) go for it, if their formats as good as they seem to think it is, I'm sure it would be a winner on DAB.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it will be a GCap station. Chill, Capital Disney or FUN Radio.
  • Options
    bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin Radio Groove would be a better replacement
  • Options
    Paul252Paul252 Posts: 1,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chill sounds good.
  • Options
    Kenny at KACLKenny at KACL Posts: 1,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Left-field suggestion: BBC Radio 4.

Radio 4 would gain immediate 128kbps carriage on an established multiplex (which is especially strong in London, where Radio 4 has its largest audience). The BBC multiplex would have a spare 128kbps capacity to share amongst its other stations to bring 6Music, 1Xtra and Radio 2 to 160 kbps and bring BBC 7 to stereo.

The BBC have already stated their goal to provide improved bitrates on their stations. They could do this more quickly on D1 than on a new national multiplex.

For Digital One, Radio 4 would bring credibility and secure funding (the BBC ain't going to go bust anytime soon). And they would not be providing capacity to commercial competition (Radio 4 is competition, of course, but it is existing competition. Raising bitrates won't actually alter audience size).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin Radio Groove would be a better replacement
    I'm not exactly sticking up for GCap here but I tend to think they could do a better job of providing a soul station than Virgin. Greg Edwards' Soul Spectrum (originally on Capital radio, now Capital Gold) has always been a great show and if we're talking about a full service replacement for Primetime rather than a glorified mp3 player on shuffle, then his show could be both a cornerstone of the station and a blueprint for the format.

Still rather have a jazz/big band/vocal jazz station. But I'd settle for both.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Left-field suggestion: BBC Radio 4.

Radio 4 would gain immediate 128kbps carriage on an established multiplex (which is especially strong in London, where Radio 4 has its largest audience). The BBC multiplex would have a spare 128kbps capacity to share amongst its other stations to bring 6Music, 1Xtra and Radio 2 to 160 kbps and bring BBC 7 to stereo.

The BBC have already stated their goal to provide improved bitrates on their stations. They could do this more quickly on D1 than on a new national multiplex.

For Digital One, Radio 4 would bring credibility and secure funding (the BBC ain't going to go bust anytime soon). And they would not be providing capacity to commercial competition (Radio 4 is competition, of course, but it is existing competition. Raising bitrates won't actually alter audience size).

Not a chance I'm afraid because Digital One doesn't broadcast to Northern Ireland so listeners in the province would lose a flagship BBC network from their DAB radios.

True, they could retune to FM but that isn't what the BBC's DAB policy is about.

Radio 4 being moved doesn't actually free up 128k if you think about it because there is still the Sports Extra problem to resolve. I like the bit about BBC7 being in stereo though. :)
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote:
    Still rather have a jazz/big band/vocal jazz station.

I totally agree. I would welcome a national jazz station, to bring a bit of variety to the DAB network.

(Post No. 200 not out! :):D:) )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westward wrote:
    Not a chance I'm afraid because Digital One doesn't broadcast to Northern Ireland

But PrimeTime is on the Score NI multiplex! If Primetime dies once it's no longer on DAB (and I don't know if that's the plan or not) then replace it there too.

Radio 4 being moved doesn't actually free up 128k if you think about it because there is still the Sports Extra problem to resolve. I like the bit about BBC7 being in stereo though. :)

Yes, some of the other stations on the BBC multiplex might have to be reconfigured at times to accomodate Sports Extra, but only back to their existing bitrates presently.
  • Options
    Radio NorthseaRadio Northsea Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Paul252 wrote:
    I'd like to see IOMIB (Musicmann) go for it, if their formats as good as they seem to think it is, I'm sure it would be a winner on DAB.

GCap & Virgin stay away please there is enough of your offerings on there all ready & most are just voicetracked/jukeboxes about as exciting as watching paint dry.

As an alternative to Musicmann why not Radio London if they have the backing they claim to have what an excellent idea. Forget about AM. Big L on DAB with the right promotion could make DAB go places. :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But PrimeTime is on the Score NI multiplex! If Primetime dies once it's no longer on DAB (and I don't know if that's the plan or not) then replace it there too.

Yes I must admit I had overlooked that. For some reason Primetime is only 96k mono on Score NI but there would seem to be room for its replacement to use 128k. U105 will be extremely keen to get their hands on this slot as well.

Nevertheless I like your proposal, especially as it's now looking less likely that the BBC will get capacity on "Digital Two".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alternatively, as the Irish say, "F e ck 'em!". Surely broadcasting a different pattern of stations in Great Britain on the BBC multilplex wouldn't interfere with what's broadcast in NI?
  • Options
    bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote:
    I'm not exactly sticking up for GCap here but I tend to think they could do a better job of providing a soul station than Virgin. Greg Edwards' Soul Spectrum (originally on Capital radio, now Capital Gold) has always been a great show and if we're talking about a full service replacement for Primetime rather than a glorified mp3 player on shuffle, then his show could be both a cornerstone of the station and a blueprint for the format.

Still rather have a jazz/big band/vocal jazz station. But I'd settle for both.

I would say that Virgin would provide DJ's to Groove if it became a National Station. Maybe even taking over some of the soon de-funct Capital Gold soul offerings. I dont belive Capital Gold or Life will exist as a 'merged' format. GWR(cap) will bugger it up just like the rest of the network. Capital post May 2006 will be just the London station. GWR(cap) will remove all traces of the once great Capital and downgrade to networked/playout pap that they are good at.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GWR(cap) will remove all traces of the once great Capital and downgrade to networked/playout pap that they are good at.

Yes, just like they have done with Classic Fm and Xfm. Look ar Planet Rock - increasing investment as it grows its audience. I think you will be surprised...
  • Options
    oldnewcoldnewc Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    If we wanted what Primetime offered us we'd just invent a time machine!! Move on with the times for Gawwd sake!!
    Inkblot wrote:
    Probably the best outcome. I know others disagree but in my view the music on Primetime/Saga has less appeal to the generations which grew up before the Sixties. And Our Kind Of Music is a pretty good name for a station which could be developed into a successful brand.
  • Options
    seasiderseasider Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oldnewc wrote:
    If we wanted what Primetime offered us we'd just invent a time machine!! Move on with the times for Gawwd sake!!
    What a constructive post! "I don't like the music on Prime time so we should not have a station broadcasting it!"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    archie204 wrote:
    What a constructive post! "I don't like the music on Prime time so we should not have a station broadcasting it!"

Hear Hear!!!, I and many of my friends love listening to Primetime, sad that its going, but if another station playing similar music fills the gap then we'll be pleased, as said above, no more youf stations PLEASE!!!!!

Paul
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The item said "Digital One director of operations Glyn Jones said the multiplex currently had around 30 enquiries for space on the multiplex, from both radio and non-radio companies."
    I suspect that it might be a commercial decision for D1 as to who makes the best bid, but if it is not an easy listening music station do D1 have to go back to Ofcom to change the licence?
    It could be that D1 might reduce the b/w to say 64k to enable more b/w to be allocated to BT livetime after the succesful DMB test and BT needing more space according to last night's Evening Standard.