Doctor Who 'considering a move to film multiple episodes in Australia in mid 2012'

Comments

• AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I've decided I'd love to see Jo Grant appear in the story... she's already a part of the Nu-Who universe having appeared alongside Matt Smith in Death of the Doctor, her background story would make getting her to Australia very easily incorporated into the plot.

I would want to hear a variation like this for 'I Am The Doctor'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbJPCS5xaPg&feature=youtu.be

The Doctor would wear a cork hat, and I'd want to hear what Murray Gold could do with a didgeridoo. It'd be awesome :D

This is all, of course, hypothetical. I'm getting carried away with ideas :p
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    sohoguy wrote: »
    I think you mean that the stories were SET in those places rather than filmed there.

Incredible. It was all so convincing. ;).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gareth1408 wrote: »
    This was true of Sarah Jane Smith (the not being heard of bit) before School Reunion

I know there alot of people out there who have heard of her who don't like her, but alot of people do, especially if she was the companion of their era, as SJS was for so many too :)

I don't think it was, she had her own spin off shows and everything did Sarah Jane and when I was very small I liked them more than Doctor Who sometimes (I wanted to be a journalist when I grew up and I still want a robot dog), I don't think she'd ever be put mid table companion wise.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for Tegan, no, please don't. Sorry but I don't see how a mid-ranking companion that most people haven't heard of and that has no obvious hook to get her back into the story would benefit the series when it could be introducing new characters or giving more air time to existing (and active) ones.

I do agree that aside from a one-off appearance maybe that Tegan is past and I also think that she was really created as an opposite to Davison's Doctor, so not sure how working with the Eleventh Doctor would work. If is is a one-off, yes, she did accompany the First Doctor in The Five Doctors, but on a regular basis, nah!

I would disagree that most people haven't heard of Tegan. In the Davison Thread last month she was the main topic of conversation!

As for the Aussie thing, i say yes. I think if the show has the budget to do it, it should be able to go anywhere in the world. I always think it's strange that most of the time The Doctor comes to Earth he ends up in the UK. Obviously there's budgetary reasons for that but really the TARDIS should be able to land in more places on Earth! :D

And I'd welcome back Kylie for another role, maybe even get some Rolf Harris and his didgeridoo! :D
  • gareth1408gareth1408 Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Bezmina wrote: »
    I don't think it was, she had her own spin off shows and everything did Sarah Jane and when I was very small I liked them more than Doctor Who sometimes (I wanted to be a journalist when I grew up and I still want a robot dog), I don't think she'd ever be put mid table companion wise.

I didn't say she'd be put mid table, I said it was the same situation in that she was unknown to the new young audience before School Reunion
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There must be some advanatage to doing it in Australia?

Cost? I would have thought the cost of transporting cast, crew etc over there would have been high. But they do have ready made crew and studios over there.

Plenty of scope for stories as well.

There was bubonic plague in Sydney in 1900. Maybe the Silurians are beneath Sydney harbour.
    Forum Member
    I guess there is always the publicity which pays for itself. Series 6 helped increase interest in Doctor Who in the USA massively. As I understand it, Australia also has a relatively large following for the show and Series 7 could allow it to grow even more popular over there. Moffat is conquering the world one country, and one series at a time :D
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, all this USA and rumoured Oz location work...surely the cost will impact on the quality in the long run!:(
  • LurgidBeeLurgidBee Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I'd love an Australian-set story, set in the outback...some of that scenery is amazing. If Series 6 was all 'America', and it did a whole lot of good for the US audiences, then Series 7 could go all 'Australia', as I know there is a big fan base down-under. Of course, I'm getting a bit carried away here, but it would be absolutely amazing. :D

And I'd love to see what Murray Gold can do with a didgeridoo (aside from an inevitable variation of 'I Am The Doctor' :p )

on behalf of all Australians: *cringe*.

a very realistic possibility here though is that they are just off-shoring the production.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    I've no problem with them setting and filming stories in Australia or anywhere else as long as it retains a mostly British crew and keeps its British feel. I think it gives us in the UK the opportunity to see some great scenery, and experience the Doctor interacting with cultures other than British or alien, and at the same time it will give the show a higher international profile. If I hadn't seen the two American episodes from the beginning of last series I might have concerns, but those episodes proved that Moffat could pull it off. It was still very much a British show, with a British feel and British production values, but set in America. If this is true and they do set some episodes in Australia next series, as long as they do it the same way, I'll be happy.
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    As long as it doesn't eat up all the budget for the non-Aus episodes, I'd be happy with it. It seemed to me like the last series episodes in Iowa ate up a rather large chunk of budget and quite a few other episodes suffered for it.

And I'm happy for them to recruit crew from Aus to shoot over there if it helps keep the costs down.
  • NoisyoysterNoisyoyster Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    OK, I have this evening been advised that JB has now signed a contract for the new Torchwood in Australia.

When it is officially announced I will come back here and do the "Told You So dance" like they do in "Will and Grace". :)
  • Lazlo WolfLazlo Wolf Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Hmmm, all this USA and rumoured Oz location work...surely the cost will impact on the quality in the long run!:(

Nope, the American filming came with money from BBC America, and no doubt any Australian stuff would have a similar local deal attached.
  • WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An update on an old thread

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2012/10/campaign-to-bring-doctor-who-down-under.html

One of the MPs is calling for Doctor Who to be filmed down under. Considering I've never heard of this bloke its hardly a big name, and that picture of him is just cringey. Presumably his seat is for Whitsundays and Bowen so he's just trying to raise their profile. The Whitsudnay is a collection of 74 islands and are stunning for an island setting, and Bowen is a fruit picking town north of the Whitsundays close to the coast (though it is where they filmed the bulk of Australia starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman) so perhaps some of the sets are still there
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Multiple episodes' wouldn't have to mean a two-part story. They could use different locations for different things. One episode could be set in Australia whilst another could use the spectacular Australian landscape for an alien planet, in the same way that they filmed material in Spain for two seperate episodes in this last run: for the american Wild West and the mountains for 'Asylum of the Daleks'.
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of scope for stories as well. There was bubonic plague in Sydney in 1900. Maybe the Silurians are beneath Sydney harbour.

A space ship carrying the remains of an alien race lands near Ayre's Rock. The Podean leader emerges and sends his people to colonize their new home. The Doctor must prevent them meeting the peoples of Australia for fear of a terrible explosion; because you know what happens when you mix Podeans and Antipodeans.

:rolleyes:
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I'd sooner they filmed it in a warehouse in Birmingham if the story was strong and the script good.

Some of the recent episodes in Doctor Who have been very cinematic and stylish but I can't help wonder if its style over substance. Yes, it's great that Doctor Who is being filmed in New York, or Spain, or Australia - but if the story is lacklustre, what's the point?
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    Personally I'd sooner they filmed it in a warehouse in Birmingham if the story was strong and the script good.

Some of the recent episodes in Doctor Who have been very cinematic and stylish but I can't help wonder if its style over substance. Yes, it's great that Doctor Who is being filmed in New York, or Spain, or Australia - but if the story is lacklustre, what's the point?

It's just as well the stories have been top-notch, then... ;)

Anyway, that aside - the recent increase in filming in America could be because of the burgeoning audience there. It seems to have really taken off in the states of late, and could be a major money-spinner for the BBC. Gotta speculate to accumulate, so the saying goes.
    Forum Member
    This is only a good thing...people requesting the show be filmed in their country shows how the show is continually expanding into new markets. Only last month was Peter Jackson suggesting he'd love a 'New Zealand' episode. Imagine if Series 8 (or whatever post-anniversary is) was able to take advantage of both of these... a couple of episodes in Australia, an episode in New Zealand :D

As with any location filming, the script would obviously have to be a good one, but I think this would be a wonderful oppertunity. I think there are quite a lot of fans in Australia and New Zealand...it'd be great to give them a moment of their own just as Series 6 gave America a moment of its own :D
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    This is only a good thing...people requesting the show be filmed in their country shows how the show is continually expanding into new markets. Only last month was Peter Jackson suggesting he'd love a 'New Zealand' episode. Imagine if Series 8 (or whatever post-anniversary is) was able to take advantage of both of these... a couple of episodes in Australia, an episode in New Zealand :D

As with any location filming, the script would obviously have to be a good one, but I think this would be a wonderful oppertunity. I think there are quite a lot of fans in Australia and New Zealand...it'd be great to give them a moment of their own just as Series 6 gave America a moment of its own :D

Surely every ep needs a good script.

I'd love NZ and Oz stories too. Why not anywhere else on Earth? India? Japan? etc., etc.
    Or in the Universe? What with the TARDIS being what it is an' all..

I'm afraid it's just the cost of location shooting that precludes them.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    A space ship carrying the remains of an alien race lands near Ayre's Rock. The Podean leader emerges and sends his people to colonize their new home. The Doctor must prevent them meeting the peoples of Australia for fear of a terrible explosion; because you know what happens when you mix Podeans and Antipodeans.

:rolleyes:

Well, I liked it. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek:Hm dont know but plaaaneet of the spiders maaaybe ? nooooooooooooooo
    waay ax
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »

My solution to that worry: have a brilliant setting and a brilliant script. Problem solved.

Really, they shouldn't be shooting a script that they don't believe is top notch anyway.
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    Surely every ep needs a good script,

That was pretty much my point by saying 'obviously have to be a good one'. You get a lot of comments saying things like "I'd rather have a good script than some stunning backdrops". Comments like this are either a dig at the show in general, or people's conclusion that the two elements cannot go hand in hand, which I think they can. :)
  • Turlough6789Turlough6789 Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Hmmm... Isn't Australia pretty much the 'goto' location for anything Apocolyptic-y? Time War anyone...?